Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of the Archangels Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Comus' Rabble in his lair (humans turned to beasts):

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

"Drink this!"

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

"Come and face us, Foul Fiend!!"

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Comus escapes:

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Sabrina and nymphs arrive:

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Alice rises from the enchanted chair:

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Incidental music:

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

"...and they never saw Comus again!"

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I got all these email notifications and thought something went haywire on the Forum! But no, they were wonderful pictures of the play!

Despite the above-mentioned supposed limitations of the camcorder, the pictures are fantastic! What great costumes! It looks like a VERY well done play. Wish I could have been there! Congrats!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth, you've done it once again! These photos are phenomenal. I feel like I am back at the performance (and wish I was, to tell you the truth--ah, finishing up is bittersweet). Many thanks!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

WOW, what a show that must have been!! Care to bring your production out West    I'm so glad you were blessed by such a good day after your rain out. Wish we could have been there too

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Caryn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 12 2005 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Caryn

I'll bet this is too late for anyone to read, but I hope someone sees it--it was one of those 'minor miracle' moments.

My dd and I accompanied my dh to Philadelphia 'last minute' last month on a training trip. I have always had a special devotion to St. Michael, and on the feast day we were in the Museum of Art. I was sure I would see some beautiful representation of the Archangels during the visit. We stayed until the guards were literally shutting off the lights in the rooms behind us. We had just left a beautiful French Gothic 13th-cent. chapel, and I was a little disappointed that we had seen nothing to commemorate the day, when around the last corner of the gallery, on the way out, we bumped into a large 12th-century stone sculpture of St. Michael, slaying the enemy. He was the last piece of art in that gallery, and the guards gave us a minute to study the sculpture before we had to go.

I know the meaning of the holy day is not in a museum, but I was quite thrilled to have that encounter, away from home, on that special day!

The presentation of Comus at Macbeth's inspired us to borrow Comus from the library--I read it, and dd will this weekend, after her PSAT exam is done. I, too, wish we had seen that living performance

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Caryn wrote:
I was a little disappointed that we had seen nothing to commemorate the day, when around the last corner of the gallery, on the way out, we bumped into a large 12th-century stone sculpture of St. Michael, slaying the enemy.

How cool!   

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2005 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Inspired by MacBeth's little production, I thought I'd pass this on. I'm "a day late and a dollar short", but I'm going through my books and came across a copy of Performing Parables: Religious Folk Tales, Legends, and Fables for Reader’s Theater by Matthew Powell with illustrations by Ade Bethune. Included in this little book is The Legend of Mont St. Michael. This is a medieval folk tale that was first put in print in 1888 by Guy de Maupassant. It's for a cast of 4: First and Second Storyteller, St. Michael and the Devil.

The book has 18 little plays. All the pages are perforated so you can remove and copy for the cast. It has quite a variety, from Jewish, Italian and Irish folk tales, to little folk tales surrounding saints, like St. Nicholas, St. Christopher, St. Anthony and St. Michael.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Reviving the Feast of the Archangel thread.

We are planning a Feast Day party here for our homeschool group. Adapting some of the options discussed last year we are going to be having "Devil's Food" cupcakes with the plastic swords to stab them. Also serving blackberry tea (per Dawn's suggestion on her blog). We'll do a craft using St. Raphael, St. Michael and St. Gabriel medals - either a choirs of angels bead chain like Alice mentioned or a simple necklace.

We are also going to play some games. I'm trying to think of one that would tie into each of the three archangels above. So for Gabriel I think we'll do the "Messenger Game" - which would be a version of the telephone or rumor game. For Raphael I was thinking something associated with "blind" like Blind Man's Bluff or "Pin the ___ on the ___ (wing/ angel?) Anyone one have any other "blind" game ideas.

I also need something for St. Michael. I'm thinking swords or something, but what kind of game could that be that won't be too wild and end up in sword play?? Or maybe a "spiritual warfare" game???? Any brainstorming thoughts would be appreciated.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thank you for resurrecting this thread, Mary, I completely missed it last year!!!

And how exciting to see the "wings" suggestion -- we have a Miguel Angelo here (nicknamed Migi) and though he would love to have a Devil's or Angel's Food cake he's allergic to eggs and dairy. But WE ALL LOVE WINGS! So now I know what to serve!

Maybe I'll try Jenn's allergy-free cake recipe and see if I can adapt that, with swords and all of course.

What wonderful pictures, Macbeth!!

And Jenn, I bought my Michaelmas Daisy seeds

here

but we started traveling just when it was beginning to grow nicely last year -- so I didn't even get to see the flowers or harvest seeds. I may have a few seeds left from a trade last year, I'll let you know.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

For Raphael all I could think of initially was to "play doctor".    How about Pin the Angel on the Choir? You could make a target like a dart board and try to pin your angel closest to God.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
I also need something for St. Michael. I'm thinking swords or something, but what kind of game could that be that won't be too wild and end up in sword play?? Or maybe a "spiritual warfare" game???? Any brainstorming thoughts would be appreciated.

Of all the feast day parties we've had there hasn't been one for the Archangels yet! I'm trying to think of all the relay races and adapt one of them but right now I'm not having much luck.   The Bingo games we've played in the past were a real hit.

I think you're smart to avoid the sword games. I'll think on it some more.

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Elena

I put a bit up on my blog about how we decorated our table for the Angelic Feasts. Had photos too! http://mydomesticchurch.blogspot.com/2006/09/season-of-angel s.html

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
And Jenn, I bought my Michaelmas Daisy seeds

here

but we started traveling just when it was beginning to grow nicely last year -- so I didn't even get to see the flowers or harvest seeds. I may have a few seeds left from a trade last year, I'll let you know.

I have some purple asters or Michaelmas daisies growing in my yard. Are you supposed to replant each year? They are coming out just for the feast day, which is exciting. But the plants are tall and leggy, not too pretty.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version