Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What do you cook for Valentine's Day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

As I try to add more to our Valentine's Day family celebration, I was wondering what everyone else does for dinner on Valentine's Day?

I traditionally shape our meatloaf into a heart shape and serve it with red mashed potatoes along with some "sweet" peas.    We usually follow that with the heart-shaped sugar cookies that the kids made and colored as dessert.

What do you all do?

glinNC
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Once upon a time, I made heart shaped pizzas. However, I haven't done that in a while.

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Our daughter is turning two on Valentine's Day, so we now do heart-shaped cake on Valentine's Day -- red cake, of course!

I'm curious to hear others' suggestions... I haven't done much else besides the heart-shaped cookies and a couple drops of red food coloring in milk at dinner.

P.S. Lara, where did the Wisconsin girl live? We're in the Madison area.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We have wedding soup and strawberry fondue
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Wedding soup and strawberry fondue... My wheels are turning in a big way! :)

Do you have a recipe for the strawberry fondue? Must one have a fondue maker?

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We just melt our fondue dip, and add fresh strawberries. No, you do not need a fondue pot, just melt your chocolate, dip your berries (quick)! Fondue pots keep the sauce melted longer, you can defiantly improvise.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Oh, I must be slow... I thought it was strawberry-flavored fondue! :)   Thanks for the tips and inspiration!

And sorry for hijacking...

Elizabeth

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Beep, beep, beep...interrupting this fine topic for an important (?) announcement...

Elizabeth,

I was from the Fox Valley. Kaukauna to be precise. 10 minutes north of Appleton and 20 minutes south of Green Bay. I went to college at St. Norbert College, but my husband, who is also from Kaukauna, went to school in Madison, so I have many happy memories in that city as well!

I heard you have had incredible amount of snow this year! I'm a bit envious because we have no snow here in Virginia and I really want to go skiing this winter!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The Italian Wedding soup sounds yummy!

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

We are going to have Lasagna with lots of red sauce and heart shaped strawberry jello.

In the past, I have made individual mini heart cakes for everyone, but I am trying to stay away from a lot of sugar--but they are tasty.

I always set the table with a white table cloth and under each plate an extra large red paper heart. I usually buy some pretty valentine paper napkins also. The kids usually sprinkle some tiny hearts on the table and love to turn the lights off and dine by candle light with a little violin music in the backround.

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

For breakfast I usually make heart shaped eggs or pancakes with these molds.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

I sure am glad I popped on over to this thread today! MaryM, I had completely forgotten we have those heart-shaped pancake molds too. (My hubby actually got them for me as a surprise and made heart-shaped pancakes on my birthday. Aaaawww.) We will definitely be doing pancakes for breakfast now on Valentine's Day!

(Lara, my sis-in-law lives in Manitowoc. We love that area! You've got a place to stay if you ever head back to Madison. )

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

When I was engaged, I researched Valentine's Day to find the origin, which is pretty sketchy. BUT, one of the earliest connections is a Chaucer poem

For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese [choose] his make [mate].

So instead of a card, I wrote verses from poetry on origami geese since geese mate for life.

All that to say that I've always wanted to try cooking a goose (yk, since Tiny Tim gets SO darn excited about the Christmas goose in A Christmas Carol), but dh has a hang-up, and he is convinced that greasy meat would be gross.

So, if anyone would be willing to let me live vicariously through them, I think it would be neat to cook a goose for Valentine's day and make the Chaucer connection.

Otherwise, we have heart-shaped fried egg molds like what MaryM posted (I should try pancakes, I just never thought of it since the box says fried egg molds, lol).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Okay, you have all inspired me to do something a little bit out of the ordinary. I don't quite think I am willing to try the goose but I do think I could manage the heart shaped placemats. My husband won't be home for dinner, since he will be working late, but that doesn't mean that I can't do something special for my kids. As a matter of fact, I think I will take a try at writing a little verse for each one of them and hide it under their plates. I like the Chaucerian link!

Now what about dinner? Probably spaghetti with red sauce and meatballs.

I suppose I should plan on having a nice quiet candlelit dinner with him when he returns. I will send the kids to bed early and have a steak dinner waiting for him! (As if I have time for all this...I suppose I'll have to write a poem for him as well...yikes!)

(Elizabeth, thanks for the generous offer of a place to stay! Perhaps we'll take you up on that! I am sure we will be coming back to WI this year...we try to do that about two times a year...so I will keep you posted. And of course, it goes without saying that if you ever come to the DC area, you are more than welcome to stay with us. We are only 15 minutes from all the museums and it is a great field trip for the kids!! HINT, HINT!)

SimplyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote SimplyMom

Usually something I don't make often, like fussy little game hens. That is this years offering. One year I made these insanely decadent truffles... they were so, so good.
Back to Top View SimplyMom's Profile Search for other posts by SimplyMom Visit SimplyMom's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And adding the link from a thread last year.
St. Valentine's Day Tea

Lots of fun treat and tea party type of foods.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

I have finally decided!

I am going to make spaghetti and one large heart shaped meatball for each of my kids for dinner. I will write each of them a little note, placed under their placemats (heart shaped of course!) and even though it's Lent, I'll give them berries with cream for dessert...then I'll shoo them off to bed and make steak and mashed potatoes for my husband and I. I think I'll welcome him home to a candlelit dinner, with some classical music playing in the background. I'll even pull out the china and crystal!

(Now of course, just because I have planned in advance, he is going to end up coming home early...in which case, I better have a couple of extra heart shaped meatballs!!)

Thanks for the inspiration ladies.

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

For breakfast, we have oatmeal with strawberry syrup (poured in a heart shape) and candy heart-shaped sprinkles on top.

For dinner... well, it's our own family tradition. See, dh and I met on Valentine's Day. We were in a grad school class together, and a bunch of us were going out for ice cream, so I invited the sad looking guy who sat in the corner to come along. (turns out he had had to tell a girl who was interested in him romantically that he really just liked her as a friend... she was heartbroken and he felt bad about losing the friendship!)

So, over ice cream, we started talking... and the rest is history.

Every Valentine's Day we take all the kids out for ice cream a nd tell them that story/ We usually go to Cold Stone Creamery, where you can put all sorts of mix-ins in your ice cream, and we call that "dinner."

Happy St. Cyril and Methodius Day!

Peace-
Macmom

mandmsmom2001
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 14 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote mandmsmom2001

I realized as I made lunch today we have a tradition. I make tomato soup (red) with heart-shaped bread croutons for lunch. It was pointed out to me as I served this today that I have made this for them in years past as well.
Back to Top View mandmsmom2001's Profile Search for other posts by mandmsmom2001

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We are doing fondue (beef bourgignonne)! Easy and fun. I'm making the dips now.

Then dh and I are going out for Caribou coffee with soy milk.

We might look for some strawberries while we're out and do a chocolate (dairyless chocolate melted in soy milk) fondue when we get back.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Despite my inspiration, I ended up spending yesterday in bed with a touch of the flu! Hopefully I will try and make our Valentine's Day dinner on Sunday instead.

I hope the rest of you all had a great day!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version