Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Valentine's Day Tea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about a St. Valentine's Day Tea. We are new to our parish and I wanted to invite over a few other Catholic Homeschooling families. Any ideas?

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I will be hosting one with my children this year, Kirsten.

For St. Valentine's Day, we have heart-shaped tea sandwiches, heart-shaped cookies, red punch, and other goodies. (If possible, I will try to post more detailed suggestions this week.) I also use a teapot with palm on it and a red tablecloth, both to represent St. Valentine's martyrdom.

[By the way, I hope to post plans for our Candelmas tea later this afternoon. Candelmas is coming up on Friday.]

Recently, I had an idea for something appropriate for any martyr's Feast--at least any Roman martyr's feast, including St. Valentine. You could make a "Catacomb Cake." Make a dark chocolate layer or bundt cake. Wrap small religious medals, particularly medals showing the Roman Martyrs, in a bit of wax paper attached to long red ribbons. Stick the medals in to the cake (after it is baked), leaving the ribbons to hang out all around. Then frost the cake. Allow the children to pull out the medals before eating the cake (to avoid choking hazards). Explain to them that the early Christians hid in the catacombs and were buried there. They also said Mass directly on top of the relics of the saints. This is why all Catholic churches have relics in their altars to this day.

If you can't get a hold of saints' medals before Valentine's day, any small religious medals will do to represent the relics of the saints.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

alicegunther wrote:
Recently, I had an idea for something appropriate for any martyr's Feast--at least any Roman martyr's feast, including St. Valentine. You could make a "Catacomb Cake."

Oh, wow! Alice! This is something I can do!!!

I'm going to dig up some saint medals right away. I think we'll just do a strawberry (or perhaps red velvet) bundt cake in honor of Valentine's Day and insert medals of the saints with red ribbon. What a perfect tradition to start.   

God love you!

(Edited: I can understand the chocolate to represent the Catacombs. So much one can do with this idea. .)

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I never thought of that..a tea party.

Oh, Good idea!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Cay Gibson wrote:
alicegunther wrote:
Recently, I had an idea for something appropriate for any martyr's Feast--at least any Roman martyr's feast, including St. Valentine. You could make a "Catacomb Cake."

Oh, wow! Alice! This is something I can do!!!

I'm going to dig up some saint medals right away. I think we'll just do a strawberry (or perhaps red velvet) bundt cake in honor of Valentine's Day and insert medals of the saints with red ribbon. What a perfect tradition to start.   

God love you!

(Edited: I can understand the chocolate to represent the Catacombs. So much one can do with this idea. .)

Well, I thought of chocolate for the catacombs, but a red cake works *beautifully* too, especially for St. Valentine! Great idea!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

How about a honeycomb to represent the catacombs? Sweet!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

We are conflating two holidays here....I often find myself doing this. My dd#2 has a birthday a week before Valentine's Day, and a week before her newest sibling's Birthdate as well, this year, so I thought I would simplify. We are going to have a Cupid's Tea a la Mrs. Sharp's Traditions on dd's birthday and make Valentines with her little birthday guests. I'm trying not to over do it with the Valentine theme. One year her birthday was the last day before Lent and we had a Mardi Gras Party. Do you think she'll mind...there'll be lots of pink and confections....naaaahhh. I think she'll be alright with it.

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I was thinking of having my kids make some placemats for our tea a few days ahead of time. Use some symbols like hearts, palms, red others for love and St. Valentine. You can buy those white paper doily placemats and then decorate them.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

One of my favorite St. Valentine's Day treats is cranberry-orange scones.. they're a bit sweet and tart and come out a pretty pink.. but they're not a heavy sweet treat like candy and sugar cookies and the like.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

How about strawberry Ovaltine in milk for children who don't like tea?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
One of my favorite St. Valentine's Day treats is cranberry-orange scones.. they're a bit sweet and tart and come out a pretty pink.. but they're not a heavy sweet treat like candy and sugar cookies and the like.

I love cranberry-orange scones - very yummy.

But if you do want a heavy sweet treat there are many unhealthy but delightful Valentine's recipe ideas here.

I was thinking another idea to bring into a Valentine Tea could be The Sacred Heart and The Immaculate Heart either through decorations or foods. I don't have specific ideas at this minute and will get back to that unless Alice does first.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

Jodie,

Can you post your recipe for cranberry orange scones, pretty please?

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Oh, such wonderful ideas. You ladies are just fabulous. Any special crafts? Maybe valentines to Jesus and Mary? Does anyone have a special prayer to St. Valentine? The catacomb cake is great! Would each guest get a medal?

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

MaryM wrote:
I was thinking another idea to bring into a Valentine Tea could be The Sacred Heart and The Immuculate Heart either through decorations or foods. I don't have specific ideas at this minute and will get back to that unless Alice does first.

Of course! That is a great idea.

Sonlight Garden

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MaryM wrote:
I was thinking another idea to bring into a Valentine Tea could be The Sacred Heart and The Immuculate Heart either through decorations or foods. I don't have specific ideas at this minute and will get back to that unless Alice does first.

LOL, Mary, I love all your ideas and know without question that your specifics will be brilliant, so please do get back!

But in the meantime,

Years ago, we held a party for the Feast of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts. (Over the years, I think we've had a party for just about everything.    )

I am trying to remember the details, but I know we had heart-shaped sandwiches, heart-shaped sugar cookies, and Sacred Heart cupcakes--plain white cupcakes with lemon and stawberry curd used to make them look like Sacred Hearts. I remember dh coming home and saying, "Well, you certainly know how to stick to a theme!" If you check the First Holy Communion Tea thread right now, you will see suggestions just posted there for Coeur de Creme (a creamy and beautiful dessert) and Sacred Heart Cupcakes. These would probably work well for Valentine's Day.

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

bfarmmom wrote:
The catacomb cake is great! Would each guest get a medal?

I am so glad you like it, particularly because it can be adapted for other Feasts (St. Sebastian, St. Agnes, Ss. Perpetua and Felicity, St. Philomena, for example).

I would suggest a medal for each child if possible. For a large group, you might want to adapt the idea and have "Catacomb Cupcakes"--carefully hiding a medal wrapped in waxpaper inside with a ribbon attached for pulling. Decorate with a cross or heart on each one, if you can get them. Then again, a circle of roses would make a good "Crown of Martyrdom."

And, as long as we are brainstorming, a bundt cake with a circle of icing roses on top would make a perfect "Crown of Martyrdom Cake" suitable for the Feast of any Martyr. (Add a bit of blue here and there and you could adapt it as a Crown of Blossoms for Our Lady for May.)

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Here is a wonderful site with a great deal of information on St. Valentine, including a prayer and charming story: Shrine of St. Valentine, Whitefriar Street Church.

You will want to read the legend yourself, but I'm thinking a craft or centerpiece with silk yellow crocuses might work beautifully, if you can get them, and perhaps a bowl of almonds for the table. (You'll see why--I need to run for now.)

Cottage Blessings

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

alicegunther wrote:
Sacred Heart cupcakes--plain white cupcakes with lemon and stawberry curd used to make them look like Sacred Hearts.

Those sound amazing - great idea.

One idea I had was to take cream cheese and mold into heart shapes to use for a spread for crackers or chips. For the Sacred Heart cover one with salsa or a red taco sauce for the blood. Sprinkle grated cheese around the base for the "flames." Stick broken pretzel sticks in a line across to form a crown of thorns. For the Immaculate Heart leave the cream cheese heart white for purity. Put a line of small silk flowers (or edible ones made like ALice's for the Guadalupe tea) across the front. Pierce the side with a plastic cocktail sword.

alicegunther wrote:
You will want to read the legend yourself, but I'm thinking a craft or centerpiece with silk yellow crocuses might work beautifully, if you can get them, and perhaps a bowl of almonds for the table. (You'll see why--I need to run for now.)

That would be really pretty, Alice. The crocus one is the version of the story that is told in Robert Subuda's Saint Valentine (A Feb. Mosaic title).

I also think paper woven hearts make a lovely valentine that could be a tea favor for each participant. You can modify the size to make them larger or smaller. You could tuck a holy card of St. Valentine, the Immaculate Heart, or the Sacred Heart inside. This site has some amazing variations in their patterns section.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Here you go Kathleen.

cranberry-orange scones

1 3/4 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking pwd
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
sugar to top the scones

Preheat oven to 425*. Grease large cookie sheet. In medium bowl with fork, mix flour, baking pwd, sugar and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In cup with fork , beat eggs; reserve 1 tbsp. Sir milk and orange zest into flour mixture until well mixed. Fold in cranberry just until distributed. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; with floured rolling pin , lightly roll dough 1/2 inch thick. With knife cut dough into 3 inch squares, cut each square into 2 triangles. With pancake turner, place triangles 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. brush with reserved egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden. Makes 10-12 scones

For St. Valentine's Day I will use a heart cookie cutter instead of making triangles.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Mary M, the variations are fabulous! Marianna and I are totally doing woven hearts this year, thank you so very much! Everything else will be gravy.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version