Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: learning multiple instruments? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

just looking for input from more experienced moms here:

Our 5 year old is taking suzuki violin; he only started a few months ago, but I think he'll stick with it.

I want to teach him piano myself, but haven't started.

I could also teach him simple instruments like the recorder (we have several, plus instruction books) and percussion.

How much is too much? Do you think starting a second instrument is too much? Should I let him get experienced with violin first? (Like for another year or so?) We aren't aiming for music scholarships here - just wanting to see what his talents and interests are, and teach him how to read music.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

We definitely would vote for more music! Each of my kids plays at least 2 instruments. Libby (17) plays 4 well. And they all sing. They each started a second instrument after a few years of Suzuki string training, usually between the ages of 7 and 9. They could all read music before starting the second instrument.

Just some thoughts (and why not go for the scholarship, if it looks like things are going that way? ).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I second going for more music. My dd's each play the piano, and now they are also playing the harp, bag pipes, and drums.

I can play 4 different instruments. I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am, to my parents for insisting on music in our lives! After all it is another language.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Ours all have to take piano, but last summer Anthony decided to add recorder too. I've been surprised at how well he has done; he plays recorder at mass occasionally. I think for him (my least naturally musical one) having a few years of piano first helped. And he seems more enthusiastic about music and practice not less.    

SimplyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote SimplyMom

I played had played four instruments by the end of high school. So I vote for more music too.
Back to Top View SimplyMom's Profile Search for other posts by SimplyMom Visit SimplyMom's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My dh played four or five instruments growing up. I was a music major in college and I really wish that I'd played more--not so I could have been better in school but just that studying music that intensely made me appreciate how much I would have benefited musically from more training. Our son just started Suzuki violin and I think we will require a couple of years of piano of all our kids as part of their education. We can teach that ourselves, so that saves money. We keep a lot of sturdy instruments around, too.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We are also a multiple instrument family. Our oldest ds plays piano and violin with a little recorder and alto recorder here and there (he also picked up a fife at Williamsburg, so he wanders around playing that for entertainment). Our dd plays piano, flute and clarinet with a bit of recorder as well. Our 3rd ds dabbled with cello and trumpet, but has not as of yet really applied himself.

Both ds and dd started with piano and could read music well before starting a second instrument. I honestly believe that piano helped them to learn the second instrument much more quickly (and successfully).

The more instruments, the merrier the household!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Multi-instrument here too. I play piano and organ (though we don't have the latter). DD-16 plays piano (a bit)-violin-guitar-recorder, DS-11 plays piano/guitar/violin, DS-9 plays piano and DS-6 piano (the little ones want to learn more but no room in the budget yet for more lessons, except piano, which I teach them myself).

Which reminds me, I've been wanting to ask around if there's a homeschooling band our kids could join! Maybe you could do that too?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

I have three kids taking Suzuki Violin (8yo Book 4, 5yo Book 1, and 3yo twinkler). I have found just having a piano in the house the older two can go and play their Suzuki songs without much promting. We also have an electric piano with is played everyday.

I try to accompany my kids at least on one song a day while they practice. You might find that he's still young to start two instruments, but your interest in piano will spill over into him. Enjoy!
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version