Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: maternity clothes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

what is your favorite source for maternity clothing?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I'm not expecting, but was thinking the other day about how much maternity clothes have changed in the last 7 years! Everything now seems to be very tight! I remember shopping at Motherhood, but wonder if I were pregnant now if that would still work? Interested to see the responses.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

ebay

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It's bleak out there! Everything is quite tight and short in the shops. I should mention that I wear skirts/dresses pretty much exclusively, so that was quite a factor in finding appropriate clothes!

Here's how I got through it - a nice consignment shop! Ebay was a help as well. Any place that doesn't have the absolute latest styles. The hardest part was finding a nice church dress! Very, very difficult!

Here's a discussion on maternity skirts we had not too long ago, but I bet you missed it while you were in the throes of ! I have 5 of the Motherhood skirts that Suzanne talks about in this thread. They were a staple of my wardrobe! I should mention, the khaki and tan corduroy skirts have fit the entire preg., but the denim skirt I had to size up about a month ago. Of course, you're moving into spring and summer so these may not be of help to you (though the khaki skirt is light enough that it could work in any season, and the denim is wearable all year too IMO!)

Hope this helps a little! I do feel your pain, it was extremely frustrating at first to not find anything feminine and modest in the stores. Consignment was my lifeline. Good luck!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Everything IS really tight! I am guessing it is cool to have ones belly exposed    I found these cool lounge pants for 2.00 at Gabriels (anyone know what that is?) anyways I get them home, they are my size and I just about faint. They ride WAY down on the hips below the belly. I intended to sleep in these, but come on, they won't even stay up!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thrift stores.

Those maternity skirts in that other thread from Motherhood.

There are a couple longer things at Motherhood, but they are still tight. I have tried on plus sizes, but then the shoulders are really big for me. (I'm really a M or L)

Truth be told, the difference between regular tunic shirts and maternity shirts nowadays is hardly anything, so I've bought a couple longer tunic-style shirts (a size up) from Penneys or Sears and worn them.

Our Sears doesn't carry maternity anymore. There are a few OK things at JCP.

I hardly bought anything this time around, except those skirts and the tunic shirts for warmth. Overalls from the thrift store.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I guess I am really looking for knit skirts. I have one from Garnet Hill from years ago and it is getting worn. It is black and oh so comfy!   Anyone know a good source on knit skirts? Garnet Hill no longer carries maternity. I always check ebay!

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

chicken lady wrote:
    I found these cool lounge pants for 2.00 at Gabriels (anyone know what that is?) !

Oh sigh, how I DO miss Gabes!!!! I have never found bargains like it, even on ebay!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Old Navy was good for me. Yes, it was quite a shock this last time.   I had to do most of my shopping over the internet. I did not want to dress like "Brit" - at 44 years old!! Give me a break.

Mary
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Ebay and used clothing stores. I can't do the under the belly things, nor do I like the tight fitting stuff.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I was going to ask the same thing. I went out shopping last night and came home with nothing. Everything is so short and tight. (and I'm only 13 weeks, though I feel larger) Thrift stores seem so time consuming to me. I don't enjoy wading through racks and racks. There must be businesses out there that sell nice maternity clothes????

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Oh...I did find a modest clothign site that had dresses. I thought I found the link on this board, but maybe not. Let me find it...I ordered a couple,of dresses at the beginning of this pregnancy. They are not tight at all.   Sorry, my 38 week pg brain totally forgot. I'll be back with the link.

Jen

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Here you go...

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mainpage-maternity.html

It looks like they also have nursing clothes, so I'll have to check that out. I will say that they area little slow on the shipping, but I think everything may be made as the items are ordered. not sure about that.

Jen

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Thrift stores. Some are better than others about dividing up their stuff so you don't have to search so much. The one near my house even has a maternity section.

Also, check consignment shops for children's items. Sometimes they have a maternity section, too.

Almost everything in Motherhood Maternity looks like it's made for pregnant teenagers.   

Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version