Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: When you were a kid... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

what was your favorite and most well-loved picture book? I have so enjoyed the little stories that are being shared in this thread about the book Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Seems Mike is a pretty popular guy.

There are just some books that grab the heart of a child.

What book was that for you?

Is there a book when you see it or hear the title, it just brings back a rush of childhood memories?

Is there a book like that from your own children's lives that is the current "obsession?"

For those with older children, is there a book that when you see it pulls you back to sweet memories of days gone by as a new mom reading the same book over and over to a young specific book obsessed child?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Make Way For Ducklings!

My mom took us to the library every two weeks, and every other trip I would get this book.(I had to bring it back on the opposite trip.) I can still remember where it was on the shelf. I need to go call my Mom now and ask her how she managed to read this week after week-I think for years.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I love Socks For Supper by Jack Kent. I had to search high and low for the copy I have now, I think I paid twice what it's listed at amazon for , but I love it, and wanted to share it with my kids!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Tikki Tikki Tembo!!!!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Goodnight Moon. I thought that "Goodnight Nobody, and Goodnight Mush" was the funniest phrase...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I loved the Beatrix Potter books as a child. I loved the drawings and the small size of the book.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Where the Wild Things Are.
What does that say about me?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen wrote:
I loved the Beatrix Potter books as a child. I loved the drawings and the small size of the book.

I agree with Helen; I always had a special love for the Potter books.

My husband's favorite was Mike Mulligan, by the way!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Me three for Beatrix Potter. I loved them for reasons mentioned, plus that lovely thick and glossy paper!    When I read them to my boys, they bring back so clearly the long walk to town with my mum (we were a couple miles out,) and the slight mustiness and warmth of our small town library with the worn wooden steps that led up to the children's area and the low wooden bookcases under the windows. Some of my favorite memories.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

So many of the books I remember were the ones that Capt Kangaroo always read -- Little Toot, Caps for Sale, Mike Mulligan, Are You My Mother, etc. Those still bring back happy memories and one of the really cool things is that we got JP Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics for his 5th birthday and his favorite of the 12 books included is Caps for Sale!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I love Caps for Sale too...and the Pokey Little Puppy...you know what brings back memories for me? The back cover of Little Golden books! You know the parade of animals...the lion, the elephant, the little engine that could (another childhood favorite).

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Madeline was the biggest book in the tiny section of the tiny school library that I was allowed to borrow from:). I remember lugging it under my arm and feeling so big! I still love it.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Russell Hoban's Frances books are very vivid in my memory. We had no children's books at home (my parents immigrated from Italy and couldn't read English very well) and I borrowed these books from the library at school time and again. I still love them!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

My favorite was Miss Suzy by Miriam Young. I was so excited when I saw it again in a catalogue recently!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

lapazfarm wrote:
Where the Wild Things Are.

that was my favorite book too...

But my most requested story was one that my Daddy made up...now thinking back I am pretty sure it was based on the Three Little Kittens rhyme...but he had his own version, and that was what I asked for most often....

missionfamily wrote:
I love Caps for Sale too...

That is/was my dd18 favorite. She loves reading that one to the littler ones too.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I really liked Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House book. That one was probably more popular with girls, don't you think? - since it's about home and family and nostalia. Clearly digging in dirt and big machines more popular with boys hence the large number of votes for Mike Mulligan among husbands. Those books are treasures.

When I first was thinking of this question, I was trying to decide what my favorite all time one was. I don't really recall ONE that I read over and over though. There are many in the category of "bring back great childhood memories" when I see them. My mom subscribed us to a couple of those monthly book clubs - Parent’s Magazine Press and Weekly Reader Children's Book Club. Anyone else remember those club books? They were big in the 1960's and 70's. New hard cover picture book arrived every month. You could keep it and pay or return it. Socks for Supper that Noreen mentioned is one of their selections. The books we got from those clubs are the ones I remember most and when I find those I get all nostalgic about childhood reading.

One of books from the clubs the Devlin's Cranberry Thanksgiving - a now a well-known FIAR selection.

My favorites were:
Gus was a Friendly Ghost
Miss Suzy - which Liz mentioned
And I have a treasured first edition copy of A Charlie Brown Christmas

My children really enjoy when I have shared these books with them. We just found and read the Gus book and my 8 year old got such a kick out of it.

As far as my own children I get especially sentimental when I run across the books I read a lot when I first had toddlers. The favorites of my 19 year old are the ones that affect me most. His favorite for a long time was Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola. We read that one many times and had pancakes MANY times. It's a wordless book and so the story could change and he would tell it back to me. It was after reading this book that I discovered to my horror that my city raised little boy thought eggs and milk came from the store. We had to do some farm visiting after that!!!

Bear Shadow and all the other Little Bear books by Frank Asch were worn out from frequent reading in those days as well.

I asked my number two son who is now 16, if he could remember the books he liked over and over since I was having trouble recalling any. He said – “No, I read books once and I was done.” That is his personailty.

Every night for about a year my husband read You be Good, I’ll be Night to our daughter when she was 4.

The youngest one didn't really have a particular favorite either.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

MaryM wrote:

My favorites were:
Gus was a Friendly Ghost

Oh, my goodness, I remember loving this book! I had forgotten all about it until I read your post!

Wow, what a weird sensation that was!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Heliodora
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote Heliodora

Where the Wild Things Are was definitely a favorite of mine, as well as Stone Soup.

My children really like Little Bearby Minarik and We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

One daughter of mine is currently obsessed with "The Tale of Tom Kitten" from the Potter books. We have the big book of them, but she always insists upon that one.

Prove all things, hold fast that which is good. -1 Thessalonians 5:21
Heliotropium
Back to Top View Heliodora's Profile Search for other posts by Heliodora Visit Heliodora's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

MaryM wrote:
Is there a book when you see it or hear the title, it just brings back a rush of childhood memories?

Hands down, it's Where the Wild Things Are.

My parents had just purchased a home that had an extra bedroom. That meant, my brother and I were separated.    (Which was certainly appreciated when we were older.    )

He was probably about 5 and I was about 8.
Bedtime was a major adjustment for us. We missed each other!

To comfort him, and as a way to stay connected, I remember laying on my stomach and reading Where the Wild Things Are to him through the heater vent!

Three years ago, while looking through my parent's storage shed, I found that very book. It was worn and it smelled awful, but it had to come with me.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

hmmm... let me see.
I loved the Potter books too...
I also loved Allison Uttley's Little Grey Rabbit Books.
My sister and I were huge fans
I loved the Ladybird books a lot

Now, I really see the cultural divide between Britain and America, because MOST of the books you mentioned (with the exception of the Potter books and maybe the Gus one) I had never heard of until I came over here

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version