Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: When you were a kid... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

~Rachel~ wrote:
I loved the Ladybird books a lot

Rachel, the Ladybird books were the very first books I ever bought for my oldest son. We were stationed in Italy at the time...the covers of the set we have are red with block dots (like a ladybug).    

I have home video of getting him to walk (take his first steps) by holding up one of those books!

Big fans here.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This is a very rare book now, but my favorite picture book was Night's Nice by Barbara and Ed Emberly, the same couple who did Drummer Hoff.

It evokes the same calm and peaceful emotions as when I read Goodnight Moon.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

The first book that comes to mind is "Harold and the Purple Crayon". I have my old copy with the chewed up corners, and a new one to read to my kids. :)

I also loved the "Frances" books by Russell Hoban. My mom says that those were the only ones I ever asked her to read over and over...
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I loved and still love Blueberries for Sal. My oldest dd couldn't get enough of The Christmas Cat. I didn't know that one in my own childhood, but it's a good one.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

There are a handful of picture books that I have very fond memories of. I'm not sure if the memories come more from having them read to me when I was very young, or later reading them to my youngest brother. Some of them are:
Katy No-Pocket by H.A. Rey
Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Jillian Jiggs by Phoebe Gilman

I read that book so many times that it fell apart. I loved it how creative she was, and that her room was as messy as mine.

I also loved Blueberries for Sal and Where the Wild Things Are

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Two other books I loved when I was little were Laurie and the Yellow Curtains and The Best Loved Doll. I remember getting The Best Loved Doll through school (was it scholastic back then?) I was always so excited when the teacher passed out the book order forms! They were on very thin paper, like newsprint, but thinner, and all those books! And so inexpensive! I would usually be allowed to get 2 or 3. Such fun!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I remember carrying Quick as a Cricket around everywhere, such vibrant pictures! And then I found out at the library that the Woods also wrote King Bidgood's in the Bathtub which is even better. Oh, those paintings are stupendous!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Oh those Scholastic book form catalogs were like Christmas for me!! I remember carefully going through and circling all the books I wanted, and then giving the catalog to my dad. He usually got me a few of them.   That, and RIF (Reading Is Fun). The library would set out a few tables full of books and everyone could choose a free book. I remember agonizing over which book I would choose. It was really a tough decision!

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

jugglingpaynes
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote jugglingpaynes

When I was little, I asked my mother to read Dr. Seuss "Have I Ever Told You How Lucky You Are?" over and over again. I also loved Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Comics, Coffee and Catches
Back to Top View jugglingpaynes's Profile Search for other posts by jugglingpaynes

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Where the Wild Things Are was my favorite too! Probably followed closely by Harold and the Purple Crayon and something by Richard Scarry (most things by Richard Scarry. Our copy of Best Mother Goose Ever fell apart.)

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned. I think my all time favorite must be Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman. The picture of the baby bird crying was filthy.
Every time my mother read me this story I had to kiss the page.

I just love this thread. It brings back such fond memories.

Bless you All

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Helen wrote:
I loved the Beatrix Potter books as a child. I loved the drawings and the small size of the book.

I had a very dog-eared sort of twaddly version of Peter Rabbit (it had illustrations ala Lisa McCue ... overly cutesy with big eyes and eyelashes, etc.). I was never introduced to the REAL Beatrix Potter until I was an adult. Sad, isn't it?

I also like Cecily G. and the Nine Monkeys. It was the only book we had Up North (about 2.5 hours from where we lived). I read it every time we visited.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

When I was in the primary grades, we didn't have Scholastic Book orders, but we did have Weekly Reader orders. We rarely ordered books, but one we did get was Down, Down the Mountain, by Ellis Credle. I loved this book! I wanted my Sunday shoes to be squeaky and creaky just like the shoes the children in the story bought with their turnip money. I still have the book, and my children love it, too.

My children have all loved Margaret Wise Brown's books, especially Big, Red Barn and Goodnight Moon. I don't even have to look at the pages to read them, because I've read them so many times they are memorized.

~Lisa
Mama to dd-8, ds-6, ds-4, and ds-2

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

A Fish Out of Water made a huge impression on me for some reason. Feed that fish only a little and no more!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

TracyFD wrote:
A Fish Out of Water made a huge impression on me for some reason. Feed that fish only a little and no more!

Oh, my I forgot about that one - yes, quite an impact. I need to get that one. My youngest (who wants a goldfish) would love it!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

cathhomeschool wrote:
.....something by Richard Scarry (most things by Richard Scarry. Our copy of Best Mother Goose Ever fell apart.)

Sam and Dudley stories! Our book recently fell apart after surviving me and my siblings and being read over and over to my kids.   

The Perfect Pancake by Virginia Kahl is another favorite. "Her pancakes were (something), feathery, flavory, tender and toothsome, incredibly savory, served with a syrup so pure and delightful that some people swooned when they'd bitten a biteful." It makes my mouth water like no other pancake book does.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I don't really remember my parents reading to me much. I remember sitting on my mom's lap reading a Bernstein Bears book to her while she watched television. (According to her, I would elbow her in the stomach every time I got stuck on a word.)

I had a lot of book and record sets as a child, though. I had the complete Star Wars, Gremlins, and Indiana Jones as well as some Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake. My favorite, though, was Hansel and Gretal. I listened to it so much that by the age of four I had the entire book memorized and people thought I was reading it. I still have the book, but the record is long gone. However, I can still remember how the songs went after all this time.

I also had the Mother Goose book with the black and white checks on it. Even when I was older, I loved to go through and trace the pictures and then color them in for myself. It's one of the few books I still have from my childhood other than the book/record sets.

Oh, and my other favorite was the scratch and sniff book "The Sweet Smell of Christmas". Two Christmases ago it was re-released and I bought a copy. Now I pull it out every Christmas to read (and smell) with my kids.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

The Little Mommy. It was a Little Golden book. The front cover had a picture of a little girl in a rocking chair with 3 dolls.

I am the mommy....

Billy is daddy.
He drives a new car.
Isn't it pretty....

This little girl washed clothes and ironed them and had tea parties under the cherry tree.

I read this book to tatters and mother saved it. She handed it to me when I had my first and I sneered at it because I was too modern. So I tossed the book in the garbage. Then after I had my return to the church and quit work and started thinking about homeschooling, I decided I wanted to find the book again. I discovered it sells for up to $300 on ebay and other used sights. Now Golden books is reprinting and it is set for rerelease in May or June. I am praying that they do not rewrite the book to a politically correct form.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I loved Mike Mulligan and Miss Suzy, already mentioned, oddly (at least to me) the first book to pop into my head was one where I couldn't remember the title. I googled, and it was

The Sheep of the Lal Bagh

I also remember reading a lot of Richard Scary and Sweet Pickles books.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version