Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Looking for natural shampoo, etc.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I'm starting to research natural/safe shampoo, conditioner, and make-up. Would anyone be able to recommend some products, brands, websites, etc.??

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I have started using Jason and like it a lot. I also use their conditioner. The only thing I have noticed is that I have to use more than non-natural products because the shampoo doesn't lather as well and the conditioner doesn't condition as well.

I use Nature's Gate deodorant. I have tried several brands of natural deodorant and this one seems to work the best without causing a rash the way that Tom's of Maine and a couple others did. No natural deodorant works as well as an anti-persperant, but I think that lack of toxins is a good enough trade off. In the summer I often have to reapply in the afternoon, but that isn't really a problem.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

We use Burt's Bees and Tom's of Maine, but I think some of the natural food stores make their own brands.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I have been using Nature's gate by the gallon for over two decades...and they just quit making that size .....anyone use any by the gallon, or at least half? My dh just bought a non-natural one from COstco last week....and my neck has been itching ever since....I need to go back to the natural stuff.

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I second the Nature's Gate too. I really love it. Especially the Lemongrass and Clary Sage.
I'm thinking of trying to make my own this year. We'll see I've got all the ingredients sitting in my not so secret laboratory

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

I also use Burt's Bees shampoo. Acutally, I love their Baby Shampoo. Sometimes I go on the drugstore.com website and go to their natural section. Most of their products are rated and you can read the reviews. Another great site is by the lady who wrote the book, "Don't go to the makeup counter without me." I can't remember the exact site address right now but you can google the book title. She has a review of every beauty product known to man.

I have also heard of people washing their hair and body with Dr. Bronner's castile soap. The almond flavor smells very yummy. You need to dilute it a little with water.

As far as makeup is concerned I started using Bare Minerals a couple of years ago. I know it's not totally natural, but the ingredients are much less harmful than most other foundations and eyeshadows. Once you learn how to apply it, it's a cinch and has great coverage. My skin is pretty ruddy and uneven and the bare minerals covers is very well and is waterproof.   

Hope that's helpful!

DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

You can wash your hair with baking soda followed by a vinegar rinse. Works great and it is cheap!

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I don't have a specific brand to recommend. However this website looks like a great resource on rating all those different options. It's not just for shampoos either.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I've been using Avalon Organics for a few months now in the way of shampoo/conditioner and soap. (We are weird here, Burts Bees makes some of my kiddos break out into hives! ) I used Dr. Bronners for years, but once, when dh was board in the bathroom with nothing else to read, he read the soap bottle, from that day on, no more Dr. Bronners for us!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote aiereis

Lisbet wrote:
We are weird here, Burts Bees makes some of my kiddos break out into hives!

That just sounds so funny! Who would have thought that bees make hives?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version