Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Children's Nativity Sets??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

So the Schleich set is available at Tuesday Mornings around here. If the wind stops gusting I might venture out and look.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

That's the word!! Heaven knows I haven't been out of my house much!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
But then when I was googling for "a soft bed for baby Jesus" (I was looking for cheaper alternatives to the $60 resin infant baby and crib -- but a step up from the shoe box I've been doing...

In imitation of my mother's traditions Dave made me a wooden manger for baby Jesus. This is the place where we put straws in the manger (and the "straws" are wood shavings we bought at a craft store), and then at Christmas baby Jesus is placed in the manger. I found an old doll similar to my mother's, and she made the clothes. We find a doll is more child-friendly, not just from the breakable, but that the child loves to hold and caress like it would a real baby or doll. And in this way it brings home more of a message of Jesus being a real baby. Before gifts are opened the procession of the Christ child to the manger is a very important part of Christmas.

Here's a peek from last year. I also have detailed pictures of my mother's manger and a pattern I can scan if you're interested.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jenn -- That's perfect!! Thank you!! I'd be very interested!!

I thought googling "soft bed for baby Jesus" would bring up posts like yours... but no. Several interesting ideas, but not what I was looking for.

So last night I was drawing possible manger plans -- showing them to Dan. Redoing them... etc. But I wasn't happy with any of my suggestions. I love this - the pictures will help him figure it out too!!

And I think you're right it would be more child friendly! If I had a $60 baby Jesus like this one I don't think I'd let him touch it!!

But our shoe box would get crushed and it was too small to put a baby doll in it -- so the boys never got to see baby Jesus in a soft bed.

As an aside -- I was cracking myself up as I looked at baby dolls online last night... and thought about the lack of baby dolls in our house. Since I have 5 sisters, my Mom had her pick of baby dolls to make baby Jesus, but... we don't seem to have any baby dolls in our house.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote dollylima

My mother bought a beautiful, simple wooden creche for my son at the museum store at the National Cathedral in DC. It was made in Germany and a bit pricey but she decided to go ahead and get it because my son loved playing with our "good" set so much.
I went to their website and it seems they dont have any more, but they did have some interesting twists on the nativity and some that appeared very child-friendly.
Here's the link
We also have some felted wool dolls representing the Holy Family, although I havent been able to get any of the "supporting characters" (no more "works at the school store discount") so we use them as part of our Advent Wreath, added on the last week, as opposed to using them in a nativity scene.
They look like this...or the whole set looks like this.
Heather

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan wrote:
Jenn -- That's perfect!! Thank you!! I'd be very interested!!

I thought googling "soft bed for baby Jesus" would bring up posts like yours... but no. Several interesting ideas, but not what I was looking for.

So last night I was drawing possible manger plans -- showing them to Dan. Redoing them... etc. But I wasn't happy with any of my suggestions. I love this - the pictures will help him figure it out too!!

And I think you're right it would be more child friendly! If I had a $60 baby Jesus like this one I don't think I'd let him touch it!!

But our shoe box would get crushed and it was too small to put a baby doll in it -- so the boys never got to see baby Jesus in a soft bed.

As an aside -- I was cracking myself up as I looked at baby dolls online last night... and thought about the lack of baby dolls in our house. Since I have 5 sisters, my Mom had her pick of baby dolls to make baby Jesus, but... we don't seem to have any baby dolls in our house.

We don't have dolls, either. This one I bought before I even had a child -- I did it because I knew I wanted it "just like Mom".

Here are the instructions. Let me know if anything needs clarifying.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Do you have a Ten Thousand Villages store near you? They sell handmade wooden nativities and my boys have one in their room that is just beautiful!

nativities

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This talk of the doll baby Jesus makes me think of the book we just read. Following Cay's glowing recommendation to add Angela and the Baby Jesus to the Christmas Mosaic list, we got it. It is a very sweet story and just makes me think of young children and their fascination with lifesize infant Jesus figures/dolls.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
I wrote you already, but I'll post it here. From another thread and another list there was this suggestion for Schleich Nativity which seems completely reasonable. I'm just waiting for the AOkay from Dh to buy it. I'm going to add a few animals to make it complete. I'll also need a stable and an angel or two eventually.

This is last year's thread on nativity sets. I see that this link the Schleich is being discontinued, and I found some last year at Tuesday Morning for $10 (and bought them out ) But today I was walking in my local Bloom grocery store and saw the sets for $15.

Ours are getting a lot of use right now. I'd love the money for a beautiful wood Nativity, but I'm happy we have something that my son thinks is beautiful and can contemplate the Nativity.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version