Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Children's Nativity Sets??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I haven't had a children's nativity set -- I look every year both before and after Christmas (for sales)... and I can't make up my mind!! I'm looking for under $100 preferably under $50 (even lower would be better!!), but sturdy to hold up to 5 BOYS. Playmobil looks fun, but I can't do all those pieces.

I've looked at this post from 2005 and this one from 2006

and then googled on the internet last night and found a gazillion more at Bronners, made by Haba (faces) and (no faces), Kurt Adler sets, and other wooden, resin ones, etc. and this Tales of Glory set. TOO MANY CHOICES!!

So I'm wondering... what attracts your kids?? My kids like both Fisher Price type stuff and wood train set stuff, so I wasn't sure what to do in terms of nativity materials, colors, etc. (Although, the Fisher Price looked too cutsey for my 6 yr old though).

Any feedback for pregnant lady in indecisionville???

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Well, I have the Fisher Price one, and my kids like to hold baby Jesus. He gets misplaced quite often in the advent season, so I have to keep that in mind when I pick out my next one for the kids. The one you didn't mention was the Fontanini (which is not under your price range) but that is the one I have my eye on. I like the ones you have on there from Target and some at Bronners, since they have nice faces, and I like to give my kids a good face for Jesus, Mary and Joseph (which is why I am drawn to Fontanini) to have a nice image in their mind.

I just realized that I am probably not helping!    Perhaps you can ask for one for Christmas and see what you get?

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

We have the Fisher Price one, but we've had it since my oldest was 2, so he doesn't mind the cute=ness of it, since we've always had it and he expects it each year.

We also have the Playmobil one, and I recommend having someone else put all the pieces together, then keep it in a bin (my sister loves putting together Playmobil)

We also have a cloth one that looks like this one from Catholic Child, but it's cutesy as well. They also have a building set one that is wooden (but we don't have)

Have fun deciding :)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I wrote you already, but I'll post it here. From another thread and another list there was this suggestion for Schleich Nativity which seems completely reasonable. I'm just waiting for the AOkay from Dh to buy it. I'm going to add a few animals to make it complete. I'll also need a stable and an angel or two eventually.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I didn't really answer your question. We have the FP like Fuzzy mentioned, Playmobil, a handmade wooden nativity (no face), and just Jesus, Mary and Joseph of Fontanini. Ds does like all of them, but at age 4 he loves the Playmobil the most, and Fontanini second. That's why the Schleich seems like a logical choice for a complete set that he can touch.

But the amount of pieces of the Playmobil I would agree save your sanity.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaC
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote LisaC

Maryan,
We have 3 boys too and I was looking for a nativity set for them to play with. Thanks for helping me with my shopping! I like the Tales of Glory set because it has the angels...this way they can act out the Annunciation scene and the shepherds in the fields scene. I probably would prefer the Playmobil set since they have other Playmobil figures, but that set doesn't have an angel! On the other hand I can problem just find them a resin angel from Fontanini or something... ...decisions, decisions!

Back to Top View LisaC's Profile Search for other posts by LisaC

MaryatHome
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryatHome

We got inexpensive sets for each of our children at about three. That way they had one to set up as they wanted, and always knew which one was theirs. My oldest is now 16, and STILL gets his out and sets it up in his room. I think he will be taking it with him when he goes off to school in less than two years!

We still have a "family" set which everyone gets to help set up and enjoy. Actually, I have about 20 sets, but that's a story for another day.
Back to Top View MaryatHome's Profile Search for other posts by MaryatHome

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

Lisa,
Our Playmobil nativity came with an angel (with detachable halo and wings more tiny parts!) but we bought two years ago. Maybe there are different sets?
Blessings,
Amanda in GA
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LisaC wrote:
I probably would prefer the Playmobil set since they have other Playmobil figures, but that set doesn't have an angel!
\

Lisa, this is the set we have, and there's an angel included. It doesn't have wings, and it looks more like a fairy with a wand than an angel, but it is the angel!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Ooo the Schleich... hmmm you're upping the ante Jenn!!

And I do like Fisher Price stuff -- it's just that I do think John Paul is phasing out of it. But I do think Bobby and under would like it...

Hmmm...

LisaC
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote LisaC

Oh, I just saw the 'tiny' angel in the Playmobil set. Not exactly how I pictured Angel Gabriel or the Heavenly Hosts..

Back to Top View LisaC's Profile Search for other posts by LisaC

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

I seem to have lost a post but I tried to post that I found the Schleich nativity at a local Tuesday Morning store for $10 ! I could stop by and look for more if anyone is interested.

Blessings,
Amanda
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My brother in law gives us one piece a year of Fontanini. They are pretty much indestructible, so I don't mind the kids playing with them. If I didn't have it I would probably go with Schleich. Did you notice it's on sale for $19.99? That's hard to beat!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mine LOVE the Haba set -- often during Christmas the pieces end up being mixed with wooden train sets to make a really "cool Nativity, Mom" !

We also have the Fontanini -- which I honestly don't much care for but it definitely isn't breakable (altho we do have a camel with a bum leg as it got too close to the candle once ).

I am REALLY trying not to buy the Ostheimer Nativity set -- I'm hoping to get it bit by bit and even more importantly, on sale .... but isn't it BEAUTIFUL!

Any of these would withstand boys!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We have a wood enameled one from SERVV which supports Catholic Relief services. However, I liked it so much I took it back. Here are a couple from SERVV that my kids would like:Wooden nativityFinger puppet nativity

This year St. Nick is bringing them the Playmobile one which I think will go over well.

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Last year we received the set from Constructive Playthings with the Tomie de Paola book. If you want to see it, there is no direct link for this item.. just go to Constructive Playthings and look up Item #: CPX-573L. Even though it is not a Tomie set, it was paired nicely with the book. We are big Tomie Fans here.

I just looked at the threads listed above and Jenn had listed it in her first post.

Maryan - you mentioned something sturdy for boys. So far our set is holding up with four "typical" boys under 10 (and their very gentle little sister).

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have most of this Kinderkram set. I just need one wise man, the angel holding the star and a shepherd. It is more than you want to spend. I have bought it piecemeal but now I am having trouble finding individual pieces. I bought a lot of them from a toy store in Arlington and last year they did not have any of the pieces. I bought a stable at the Daughters of St. Paul bookstore years ago, it isn't great but it works.

We also have the Playmobil set. I probably need to replace it this year. It does morph with our other Playmobil. Although I have been thinking of buying the Schleich set instead.

We have a Fontanini baby Jesus and manger, the manger usually sits empty next to our advent wreath until Christmas Eve. I like that it is big and indestructible but I am not a Fontanini fan.

If my children were younger I would buy the Haba set. Although you could buy both Haba with faces and Schleich for under $100.00. How's that for help????

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote isjalu0826

I love that Kinderkram one!

We have the Fisher Price since he was a baby and we have the Fontanini which he loves to play with.

There's something about the faces on the Playmobil set that keeps me from buying it. I just don't like their looks. But the Tales of Glory one looks cool. I never saw those before today.
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2007 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

here is a wooden one I saw the other night that looked very nice, and in your price range: wooden set

Some of the "global fair trade crafts" websites and shops have some neat wooden ones.

I collect nativity sets . I love how every culture in the world sees Jesus as "one of themselves".

I have seen the "Schleich" one in Europe--though plastic, it is quite nice, the details are very realistic. I was actually tempted to buy it and usually do not like plastic or resin sets at all. It was much more expensive over there!

But I have to say my boys love the Playmobil set best by far . Yes, we have lost a few minor pieces over the years--but they play and play with it. Sometimes they bring in other figures for scenes(especially, SOLDIERS--they are boys after all!). I keep it stored with the xmas stuff most of the year so it doesn't get mixed up with our other Playmobil. And I try to carefully look for all the pieces before I store it so we still have all the significant figures. I also did not like that the angel was so small and came with a "wand" but I just tossed the wand.

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Because of this post (and the help of Jenn's sister) -- I got a Schleich set!!

It's funny -- even with all this advice, I STILL couldn't decide, so I put it to a vote with my boys.

John Paul liked the Schleich best hands down.
Bobby liked the Fisher Price hands down. (And then Jenn called with the news that her sister was AT Tuesday morning!! YAY!!)

Since the price was right with Schleich, I went with John Paul's top choice!

But then when I was googling for "a soft bed for baby Jesus" (I was looking for cheaper alternatives to the $60 resin infant baby and crib -- but a step up from the shoe box I've been doing...

I ran across this article at Fisher-Price (and since there aren't too many retailers acknowledging "Christmas" - I was sold and bought that for the younger set of my crew.

Now I just have to explain this to my dh!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version