Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Interesting twist on Advent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2007 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

We used to participate in the Advent Spiral at my son's Waldorf School. We have a lot of land and a brush chopper, so Im seriously considering asking my DH to cut an advent spiral out on our land and having friends come over the way we did for the Martinmas Lantern walk. Thank you for reminding me how much I loved the spiral!

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 29 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

If any of you are interested in my take on the Advent Spiral turned Jesse Tree - I posted pics of it here.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

VERY COOL, Jennifer -- thanks for sharing with us ... that will definitely be a family keepsake for YEARS to come.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

At my son's Waldorf school, the candle was lit by a woman dressed in white, to represent an angel. They did leave the apple/candle combo along the path as they left the spiral. I was not aware that Mary had initially been represented in the spiral.

One of the things I really enjoyed about my son's school was that the meanings behind the traditions were left vague. As a result, our family's spirituality could be infused into the event or ritual. We got a great deal of meaning from and enjoyed the beauty of the tradition. A family whose Spirituality differs from ours would be just as free to enjoy the beauty and find meaning as well.

I know that Waldorf and Steiner are somewhat controversial subjects here, and I can understand and respect the reasons why. I was very happy with the loving care and respect shown to my son in his early childhood years and am grateful for the gentle, caring and spiritual approach the teachers and staff at his old school take toward the care of their charges. If my son were being educated anywhere but in my home (which is my strong preference!) I would want it to be at the Waldorf school he attended previous to our homeschooling journey.

I count among my blessings DAILY the people and resources I've found here so that Im able to use a calm and gentle approach to learning at home with an overt emphasis on our family's spirituality.

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Wow! This is beautiful! I love it and will save the idea for next year. Thanks so much for sharing.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

Donna, thank you for that clarification, maybe Im a little bit sensitive lately what with the hormones out of whack. I hope my response didnt sound defensive because believe it or not I tried very hard to not make it that way.
And what I said at the end was the gist of what you are saying...Im really happy to have come to a place where there are people who take the good things about Steiner's methods and apply them in a way that organically fits with our spirituality. I never felt uncomfortable with any of the imagery presented at my son's school, but from what I understand, each Waldorf school is highly individualized based on the community it supports.
I guess we got lucky twice :-).
Thank you for gently showing me the spirit of your post, Donna.
And for the link to your cool idea...where did you get the wooden Mother Mary figure? I love her.
Heather

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

That is beautiful Donna.

I tried to do something similar a few years ago. I was just wondering what to do with the round table we have to move to put our Christmas tree in the front window, and you supplied the answer! I think I still have most of the materials.

Heather the Nativity set is made by KinderKram. I am trying to complete my set, the pieces are harder to find them the Osterhiemer(sp). I know you can buy the complete set online a few places. I am waiting to hear from Blueberry Forest to see if I can get the few last pieces I need.

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote dollylima

the Nativity set is made by KinderKram.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...sounds German (aka Expensive) :-). I will have to check it out. Thank you for the information.

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version