Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Interesting twist on Advent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I saw this advent spiral today and just thought it was such a cool idea. Now, us Catholics could change it so that we're lighting the appropriate colored candle for Advent ... 7 days of purple, etc. But I love the idea of having Mary on the journey as the way winds around ....

I'm sure we could make it cheaper, but isn't it a cool idea?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I saw that . How about a knitted Mary and Donkey with a wooden circle (like the one Dawn used last year for her wreath) PAINTED in a spiral. You could either drill candle holes in it or glue holders onto it.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love that idea.

I wonder if you could incorporate some of this idea from Mother Mary Francis?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I had another thought... Mary, do you remember what is the significance of the spiral in icon writing? I heard about this briefly this summer and was captivated by it, but my memory is failing me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That is a very cool idea! Now you've got me thinking...I wonder how I could make this more cheaply...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

I think I may have found an inexpensive way to recreate that. Using the circular tracks of my daughter's wooden trainset, I was able to create a spiral. The only problem is that I need a couple of smaller tracks to finish the spiral. Using ALL large circular tracks, does not work. You can buy replacement track pieces at hobby shops. Then, what you can do is drill circles for the candles. That way all you end up buying is Mary on a Donkey which you can get from willowtreetoys.com or just buy an individual piece from a craft store or something. Anyways, I may be on the right "track" if only I can find the smaller ones. I'll let you know,

Many Blessings,

Elizabeth
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Great ideas, ladies! I just really like that spiraling toward Bethlehem -- it has a very Montessori/CGS feel, doesn't it?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thanks for posting this Mary.

There is so much potential here - the creche in the middle waiting for our little Lord. Mary and Joseph traveling around. Instead of candles, you could work on some symbol sticks mounted on dowels adding a few new ones each year. Sort of like a Jesse tree. You could incorporate symbols or pictures of the Saints like St. Nicholas, or Our Lady of Guadalupe. Add the O Antiphons.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Those who decide to make their own, improvise, etc., please let us know and post pictures. This is a wonderful idea!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Maria -- thanks for mentioning the pictures/posting ... I for one would love to see what you creative ladies devise from this ...

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

Its so funny you posted this I was at the craft store today and found a nice 12 pack of flat wooden stars for 3$.

I was thinking of making a similar spiral but using them for the 12 days of christmas leading the wisemen to our creche. ending with our 12th night celebration

I was going to paint them up gold and place everyother one with little tea lights.

we have tons of advent activities but no 12 days of christmas

Christmas needs at least as many dont you think?

it wont be as fancy as in the picture but will work

ill just have to be careful as our 3 kings are paper!

maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And on a side note the original picture just calls to mind for me the book A Donkey's Dream.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

OK - this has been buzzing around in my brain all night, and I've come up with a solution that I'm really excited about. I loved the spiral, and the more I thought about our wire Jesse tree, the more I felt that it wasn't as visually symbolic as it could be for illustrating the passage of time that the people of Israel waited for the Messiah.

St. Ambrose explains the root as the family of the Jews, the stem as Mary, and the flower as Christ. Israel is the base.

I'm headed to Lowe's this morning to buy a pre-cut circular piece of wood. My dh will drill press the 24 holes in a spiral shape on the circular shaped wood piece. I'll use dowels, not candles in the spiral. My intention is to use the spiral with ascending height dowels for my Jesse Tree. The symbols of the Jesse Tree will be glued to the dowels and will move around the spiral to the center. I think this will make a great visual for the passage of time that the people of Israel were waiting for the Messiah, especially as the symbols ascend. In the center, I want to have a small (about 2-3" diameter) stump of a pine tree. That will be the stump of Jesse. On the stump I'll have the empty creche waiting to be filled with our little Lord on Christmas morning. He will rise above all the other dowels and symbols. I'm hoping to have a hole drill-pressed in the stump as well for a white candle to symbolize the light of the world.

I'm really excited about this project, and I think you could do lots with it if you could drill/press the holes for candles or dowels into a pre-cut circular piece of wood. You could even paint the spiral onto the wood if you wanted to add to the visual.

I really love Maggie's idea for using this during Christmas for the 12 days - using 12 holes in that project. Think I'll bookmark and save that idea for next year!!!

Thank you soooooo much Mary for planting this idea in my head!!!! I'm so excited to start my Advent spiral. I'll post pics on my blog when I finish.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote isjalu0826

I love the idea of the train tracks! We've got plenty of those!!!
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

Mackfam wrote:

I'm headed to Lowe's this morning to buy a pre-cut circular piece of wood. My dh will drill press the 24 holes in a spiral shape on the circular shaped wood piece. I'll use dowels, not candles in the spiral. My intention is to use the spiral with ascending height dowels for my Jesse Tree. The symbols of the Jesse Tree will be glued to the dowels and will move around the spiral to the center. I think this will make a great visual for the passage of time that the people of Israel were waiting for the Messiah, especially as the symbols ascend. In the center, I want to have a small (about 2-3" diameter) stump of a pine tree. That will be the stump of Jesse. On the stump I'll have the empty creche waiting to be filled with our little Lord on Christmas morning. He will rise above all the other dowels and symbols. I'm hoping to have a hole drill-pressed in the stump as well for a white candle to symbolize the light of the world.

I really love Maggie's idea for using this during Christmas for the 12 days - using 12 holes in that project. Think I'll bookmark and save that idea for next year!!!

I love these ideas! The Jesse Tree idea sounds wonderful; I can't wait to see how it turns out. We've never done a Jesse Tree before, but I hope to do a traditional one for this year. The spiral version would be fun to try next year (we always seem to be about a year behind everyone else! ).

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm loving see the wheels spin. I was thinking Jesse Tree figures or symbols, too. If it would be too hard to make figures to fit into the holes, how about something uniform, like Maggie's idea of stars, and painting a symbol on each one?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just in case anyone wanted to duplicate this - Lowe's has an 18" round piece of pine - cut, rounded edges, ready to paint or stain - $10. I bought dowels to afix the Jesse Tree symbols to. I also got a small can of stain - my total project cost $15. My creche will sit in the center of the spiral on a stump - the stump of Jesse. I'm going to place a white Christ candle in the stump, and I also read of the symbolism of draping the Christ candle with the blue mantle of Our Lady until Christmas because she hid him in her heart. I'm going to use a blue piece of satin I have to drape the creche and Christ candle.

Jenn, I thought about using Maggie's idea of painting the symbol on something uniform I could get at the craft store, but I decided on dowels because I wanted the dowels to be cut at different heights - 2" for the first week of Advent, 3" for the second, 4" for the third, and 5" for the fourth week. I want the last symbols of Jesse, David, Solomon, Joseph and Mary to be very close to the stump of Jesse. I want a visual of the spiral getting closer and closer to the fullness of time. I don't think it will be hard to fix the laminated symbols to the dowels. In the future I hope to sculpey or felt my symbols anyway. I was also thinking that I could use the back side of the last 7 dowels for the O'Antiphons. We'll see how that works out.

This is going to be such a fun project for all of us to work on. I can't wait to get started - so much for being out of time.

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Maggie,

Thanks for the 12 days of Christmas idea! We already own the circular version of the wooden spiral discussed above. It comes in three pieces with a total of 12 holes. We call ours a birthday ring and every year each child gets to decorate the birthday ring with the figures of their choice. Each year for Christmas in their stocking and on their birthday they get a different figure. (The company makes hundreds of different figures)

Well, this year after our advent wreath is done on Christmas day, I'm pulling out our 12 days of Christmas ring (the birthday ring in disguise) and we'll light a candle each night until the Epiphany!!!

I'm so excited! I'm off to our local Waldorf store (which carries the rings and figures) to buy more candles!!

Waverley
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jennifer -- PLEASE post pix of your final product ... it sounds VERY intriguing. I too like Maggies/Waverley's idea of using this for the 12 days .... we do sorta skimp on that a bit symboically (altho we PARTY alot during those days!).

THANKS for all this brainstorming -- this is one of the things I LOVE about 4real -- the great ideas from y'all!

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Making a spiral out of traintracks does work very well, as long as you have both long circular tracks and a few short ones. You can buy these ranging in price from .50 to 1.30 at hobby stores.

Many Blessings,

Elizabeth
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version