Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Soup Recipes! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Ladies,
Now that it's getting chilly, I am looking for some GOOD soup recipes.

The only thing is that I am now gluten free, dairy free, potato free, and pork free. Needs to be easy on the beans too.... (You can see why my old recipes don't work.)

If anybody can help me out with some good ideas I'd be MOST grateful!

ETA: I can do certain substitutions--rice pasta instead of wheat, chicken or turkey for pork. Rice for barley....

Maybe a regular soup recipe thread would be good too?

Thanks,
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

CKwasniewski wrote:
Ladies,

The only thing is that I am now gluten free, dairy free, potato free, and pork free. Needs to be easy on the beans too.... (You can see why my old recipes don't work.)

Count me out then! We've had potato soup, chicken, barley soup, and ham and bean soup already this week! LOL!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Hi, I just made some split pea soup for a friend who had her gall bladder removed. As a result, I had to make it with no fat.

Since it doesn't seem as though you have that restriction, but you do have the no pork restriction, here is what I did.

I sauteed 1 large onion, two large carrots, two stalks of celery, all finely chopped (or to taste) in a large soup pan. (I sauteed mine in olive oil, but you could use butter.)

Once the onions were golden and the carrots were tender, I added 6 cups of chicken stock. (At this point, I add potatoes, but I note they are on your restricted list. Perhaps you could add a 1/2 cup of rice and another cup of water?)

Finally I add the split peas and cooked over a low simmering flame for about an hour. For added flavor, I added 2 tsp of onion powder, 1tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp celery seed (NOT SALT) and 1/2 tsp ground cloves. For a "ham-like" flavor without the ham, I added 2 TBS "liquid smoke". The bottle that I have is gluten and MSG free and has no sodium. The brand name is "Reese Hickory Liquid Smoke."

I love making soups, so if you want more recipe ideas, please feel free to pm me.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think this would work for you... there's so many variations to it..

Quote:
cabbage patch soup

one medium onion
4 stalks celery
12 oz pack of turkey sausage (or hamburger or shredded pork or none match to broth)
half a head of cabbage
2 cans kidney beans (any beans works, I've used red beans or black beans)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or equal fresh)
14 oz can of tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth (or beef or veggie etc)
spices - according to taste.. here are some variations that work well:
                 chili powder

garlic cloves
                 oregano
                 a touch of cayenne

garlic
                 oregano
                 cumin

dice: one medium onion, 4 stalks celery. Then take that and your meat put it in a touch of oil in a skillet and brown.

In your soup pot put in a half a head of cabbage that has been sliced or diced, 2 cans kidney beans, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or equal fresh) that's the big fat can
or two regular cans, one 14 once (the normal size can) of tomato sauce, chicken broth, then your spices, and salt and pepper to taste.. but it really doesn't need much

then I dump the meat and veggies that you browned in and cook the whole thing till the cabbage is soft about 3 hours is good.. but 2 is usually ok and add water as needed.

And once I find it (or write it out).. I think I have an enchilada soup recipe that would work well.. just leave out the cheese.

hmmm and what about a gumbo? I forget if there's a good thickener that can replace flour in gluten free diets since gumbo needs a rue.

you do beef? though you could use ground turkey instead as well. then I have another... oh and just leave the flour out of the meatballs.. I put in dried onion and never use the flour anyway.

Quote:
Albondigas (Meatball Soup)

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
~ 10 cups chicken broth (or combo chicken/beef)
1 tsp oregano leaves
2 med. onions - chopped
red chile flakes to taste (or ~ 2 tsp chili pwd)
6 carrots finely sliced (~ 1.5 lbs)
1/4 cup rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (dried works.. dried parsley also works)
3/4 lb spinach (I usually omit)
1 can ~ 14 oz chopped tomato

combine meat, flour, eggs and 1/2 cup broth (or less. I'd only use what was needed).. in a soup pan bring remaing broth and spices to boil. reduce heat to low.. quickly shape meat mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; as you shape them drop into the stock. Simmer meatballs uncoveres for 5 min. then spoon off any fat and foam from surgace. add other ingredients except spinach. simmer uncovered for 20 min. until carrots and rice are cooked. Add spinach and cook uncovered 5 min. longer. Can serve with a bit of lime to squeeze into individual servings.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, please keep sharing soup recipes!

Does anyone have a good one that uses pumpkin or butternut squash?

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I have a super easy chicken noodle soup recipe that I make after a chicken dinner, so it's two meals for one! Essentially the idea is to make your own chicken stock, either from cooking a whole, clean chicken (or in our case, chickens) in the crockpot or on the stovetop w/onions, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper, or boiling the leftover carcass(es) from oven roasted chicken.

At this point, make sure you reserve your stock (you can cool and skim the fat, or do this during "clean up" after supper). Add some boullion (do they make gluten-free?) for flavoring, and depending on how much stock you have, you may want to add some water. Add your favorite type of noodle (spaghetti broken up for more traditional chicken noodle look, wide egg noodles, use your imagination), bring to a boil. Add your leftover chicken, carrots, etc. Let this cook until the noodles are done (usually about 10 min.). If I don't have carrots left over, then I'll do a quick chop and add while the noodles are boiling. Simple. That's it!

There are really no measurements, just fly by the seat of your pants, and season to taste. I've never tried making stock from the carcass after roasting the chicken myself, so you may need to read up on how to actually do that. I'm guessing it would be the same: add onions, celery, etc.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Thank you, ladies! Keep them coming!

Laura, I'm going to share with you the ONE soup recipe I have at the moment, even though I'm the one that's asking!

Red Lentil & Squash Soup

1 onion, diced
1 tbsp oil or butter
1 tbsp minced garlic, opt.
2 c red lentils (orange actually, sometimes called French lentils)
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. cumin
6 c. water
1 c. squash, pumpkin or sliced carrots
salt to taste
lemon juice
parsley, opt. for topping

In large pan, saute onion in oil or butter till translucent. Add cumin, salt and garlic if using. Saute 1-2 min. Add lentils, water, squash, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 45 min -1 hr. Everything should be a nice mush... Taste and add salt.   Serve hot. Each bowl should get a squirt of lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh parsley. I have also put in each bowl a slice of lemon, and that's pretty too.

Laura, if you are overrun with pumpkin, I have a lovely pumpkin banana bread recipe I can share. PM me if you want it.

God bless,
CK

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I just threw together a minestrone from my garden veggies last night:

2 quarts chopped tomatoes, 1 sautéed onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1 bell pepper, 1T salt, 1 T brown sugar, 1 T dried parsley, 2 stalks celery, Italian herbs to taste, 1 cup chopped yellow summer squash, 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1/2 cup dried kidney beans (soaked overnight and soak water discarded), 2 cups dry pasta (I put in dry to soak up water from using fresh tomato, you could cook your rice pasta separately if you're using canned diced tomato)

You might try making a chicken or turkey and rice soup. I don't have a recipe, I do like Valerie and fly by the seat of my pants. :)

I'll look for more...
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK hang in with me on this one... the original recipe is not dairy free etc. BUT I change it around quite a bit.. so I'll note my changes after..

Quote:

Enchilada Soup

1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans of your choice, but black are my favorite for this soup)

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 10oz package frozen whole kernal corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow, green, OR red pepper
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, and finely chopped (I've NEVER included this... totally optional)
1 19oz can enchilada sauce
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded monteray jack cheese (4oz)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4oz)

optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, tortilla chips, coarsely broken

In a 3.5 to 5 qt crockpot combine beans through jalapeno, if desired. Whisk together enchilada sauce, soup, and milk. Pour over ingredients in crockpot and stir well.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Stir in cheeses until melted. Ladle in bowls and top with optional toppings, if desired

OK I use most of this.. BUT I make my own enchilada sauce. Tomato sauce with mexican seasonings especially cumin and oregano.

I use broth not the cream of soup and milk

and I don't add the cheese into the main soup but use it as topping.

I believe the tortilla chips are gluten free and that's the main topping we use.. it's so good with them stirred in.

And you can mix in browned ground beef or cooked chicken as well. I don't think there's a lot of beans in this soup but adjust that too if you need to.

I'm rather liberal about following a recipe    

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I like this one for Mushroom Thyme Soup. You could substitute cornstarch for the flour. You could also use a substitute for the butter. This freezes and reheats well. Filling, and yummy.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

How about French onion soup? I just fill my crockpot with sliced onions, cover with chicken or beef broth (veggie broth would probably work well too), add a few bay leaves and cook on low for 24 hours. Be sure to check that it doesn't get too low on liquid - I have one crockpot that is fine, but another that lets too much moisture escape and I have to add water since it cooks for so long.

Since pumpkin and squash recipes were requested...

Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons
Homemade whole wheat croutons seasoned with cinnamon sugar perfectly accent this smooth and flavorful soup. Makes 6 servings.
From Allrecipes , Submitted by Sara Lee Soft & Smooth™

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup fat-free half-and-half

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F(200 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with melted butter mixture to coat. Spread bread cubes evenly over a baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until bread is crisp and toasted. Set croutons aside.

2. Saute onion in canola oil in a medium saucepan until tender. Stir in 1 can chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor. Process until smooth.

4. Return mixture to saucepan. Add remaining can of    broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Stir in half-and-half, and heat through. Do not boil. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with cinnamon croutons.

Hearty Vegan Acorn Squash Soup
(directions written by a friend - I've eaten it, but haven't made it yet!)

I bake two big acorn squash (cut in half, scoop out seeds, put on cookie sheet and cover w/ foil, 350 for about an hour). I test the squash with a fork to make sure they're soft, then take out to cool. Peel the skin off. Cut into chunks and either blend with some coconut milk in the blender / vitamix or use one of those in-pot soup blenders, which are quite handy I think. The amount of coconut milk is a matter of consistency and taste. less milk, thicker, more milk thinner and more coconutty.

Then in a separate pan saute an onion (minced or chopped) with a bit of salt and pepper. If your soup is too thick at this point then you can add a little water to create a kind of onion broth to add to the acorn and coconut mixture. Once onion is translucent, add it (and any broth you created) to the squash mixture. Then add salt, pepper and ground nutmeg to taste. Heat over a low heat about half an hour to 45 minutes. Watch for burning if it's thick!

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients:
1 large head cauliflower
4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth or a mixture thereof (a great empty-the-freezer-to-make-room-for-fresh-broth recipe!)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp. pepper (or more- to taste)
2-4 cups rice milk

In large pot, bring broth to a boil and add chopped cauliflower. Reduce heat and let cook until cauliflower is soft. Purée or mash well and set aside.

Using same pot, fry onion in a little oil (but don't brown). Add cauliflower mixture and milk and stir to heat through.

Garnish (or not) as desired with parsley, grated cheddar (the rest of the family), chopped green onions, chives, or croutons.

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

INGREDIENTS:
8 ounces finely chopped mushrooms
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil margarine
3 tablespoons flour (any kind)
3 cups rice milk
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms, broth, and onion, and bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Melt margarine in another saucepan; blend in flour.

Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Add sauce to mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Pumpkin Pie soup

one bag cooking carrots peeled and chopped
one small onion, chopped
enough vegetable or chicken broth to cover (3-4 cups)
1/2 as much rice milk as broth (1 1/2- 2 cups)
pumpkin pie spice to taste (we like it strong, so about 1tbsp)

Cook carrots and onions in broth until soft enough to purée. After blending, return to pot and add milk and spices- heat through and serve.

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Hamburger Soup

Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
4 tablespoons olive oil margarine
3 cups chicken broth
2-4 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup flour (any kind)
1 1/2 cups rice milk
1/4 cup soy sour cream (optional)

In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon margarine over medium heat: cook and stir vegetables and beef , until beef is brown.
Stir in basil and parsley. Add broth and rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer 5-10 minutes.
In another pot, melt the remainder of margarine and stir in flour. Add the milk, stirring until smooth.
Gradually add milk mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add sour cream and heat through. Do not boil.

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Thank you Ladies! I am very happy about these recipes and so is my dh! We were getting pretty tired of the same 5 things over and over and over and over....

Hugs and prayers to you all!
CK

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

We have a lot of pureed soups. They are very flexible. Boil or roast the vegetables you like, puree together with chicken broth, cream (rice milk maybe?), white wine, or any combination of those. Add garlic or ginger or herbs you like. My boys even lap up broccoli and spinach this way (I boil them about 1/2 and 1/2 with potatoes, then puree with milk and cheese--not options for you unless you use non-dairy substitutes!). I think with vegis it is the texture that often bugs kids the most.

Silken tofu purees well. You can buy "pre-pureed" boxes of frozen squash which work well too (could puree with apple juice & chicken broth). Roast lots of halved tomatoes drizzled with olive oil in the oven, and puree with chicken broth. And NOTHING beats a good pumpkin soup (cut fresh pumpkin in chunks and roast, then cool, slice away from skin, and blend with a bit of chicken broth, add salt and pepper. Cumin or nutmeg make nice flavorings. I am really addicted to pumpkin soup!!

Also things like quality virgin olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper make a big difference with these "simple" flavors.

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks, Jody! I have been looking for a good Albondigas recipe......now, to remember to make it

thanks, stephanie.........I was looking for a veggie minestone for my vegans

And, Lori........my vegans will love these.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Susan Branch has both pumpkin and turkey soup on her site.
You could substitute soy or rice (maybe almond) milk for the heavy cream. You might even be able to use a little silken tofu if you like I think the turkey you can use as is

My favourite soups are mostly on your forbidden list
I do have a favourite black bean soup... and a quick one too, which I will post anyway

Quote:

Recipes

Black Bean Soup
from America's Test Kitchen Episode: South-of-the-Border Soups

Dried beans tend to cook unevenly, so be sure to taste several beans to determine their doneness in step 1. For efficiency, you can prepare the soup ingredients while the beans simmer and the garnishes while the soup simmers. Though you do not need to offer all of the garnishes listed below, do choose at least a couple; garnishes are essential for this soup as they add not only flavor but texture and color as well. Leftover soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days; reheat it in a saucepan over medium heat until hot, stirring in additional chicken broth if it has thickened beyond your liking.

Makes About 9 Cups, Serving 6
Beans
1     pound dried black beans (2 cups), rinsed and picked over
4     ounces ham steak , trimmed of rind
2     bay leaves
5     cups water
1/8     teaspoon baking soda
1     teaspoon table salt

Soup
3     tablespoons olive oil
2     large onions , chopped fine (about 3 cups)
1     large carrot , chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
3     ribs celery , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
1/2     teaspoon table salt
5 - 6     medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2     teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2     tablespoons ground cumin
6     cups low-sodium chicken broth
2     tablespoons cornstarch
2     tablespoon water
2     tablespoons lime juice , from 1 to 2 limes

Garnishes
     lime wedges
     minced fresh cilantro leaves
     red onion , finely diced
     avocado , diced medium
     sour cream

1. FOR THE BEANS: Place beans, ham, bay, water, and baking soda in large saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; using large spoon, skim scum as it rises to surface. Stir in salt, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer briskly until beans are tender, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours (if necessary, add another 1 cup water and continue to simmer until beans are tender); do not drain beans. Discard bay. Remove ham steak (ham steak darkens to color of beans), cut into 1/4-inch cubes, and set aside.

2. FOR THE SOUP: Heat oil in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking; add onions, carrot, celery, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, pepper flakes, and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in beans, bean cooking liquid, and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 30 minutes.

3. TO FINISH THE SOUP: Ladle 1 1/2 cups beans and 2 cups liquid into food processor or blender, process until smooth, and return to pot. Stir together cornstarch and water in small bowl until combined, then gradually stir about half of cornstarch mixture into soup; bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to fully thicken. If soup is still thinner than desired once boiling, stir remaining cornstarch mixture to recombine and gradually stir mixture into soup; return to boil to fully thicken. Off heat, stir in lime juice and reserved ham; ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately, passing garnishes separately.

You can leave out the ham and add extra spices.

My favourite QUICK Black bean soup recipe is from Allrecipes
Quote:

Black Bean and Salsa Soup     
Submitted by: Maryanne

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes      Ready In: 20 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans,
drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chunky salsa     
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons thinly sliced
green onion

DIRECTIONS:
1. In an electric food processor or blender, combine beans, broth, salsa, and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth.
2. Heat the bean mixture in a saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
3. Ladle soup into 4 individual bowls, and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream and 1/2 tablespoon green onion.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I made this Gypsy Soup this week and was surprised at how very yummy it was:

Gypsy Soup

Recipe By: Mollie Katzen, "Moosewood Cookbook"
Serving Size: 4 Preparation Time: 1:30

3 tablespoons olive oil -- up to 4T
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 cups sweet potatoes -- chopped & peeled (Or winter squash)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
3 cups stock or water
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt
dash cinnamon
dash cayenne
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
In a soup kettle or large saucepan, saute onions, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes in olive oil for about five minutes.
Add seasonings, except tamari, and the stock or water.
Simmer, covered, fifteen minutes.
Add remaining vegetables and chickpeas.
Simmer another 10 minutes or so - until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
NOTES : The vegetables used in this soup are flexible.
Any orange vegetable can be combined with green...for example, peas or green beans could replace the peppers.
Carrots can be used instead of, or in addition to the squash or sweet potatoes, etc.

We did it with sweet potatoes and green peppers with Mary G's super fast wheat bread which is SO SO good on the side. I've eaten it twice a day since Tuesday.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version