Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Soup Recipes! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

JodieLyn wrote:

hmmm and what about a gumbo? I forget if there's a good thickener that can replace flour in gluten free diets since gumbo needs a rue.

We love a gumbo from Vertamae Grosvenor which is thickened through okra and time. I don't know much about that style of cooking so I never realized gumbo usually uses a roux. Very interesting!

This Healing Seafood Stew from Runner's World was also VERY VERY tasty. I didn't quite lick my dish when I was through.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Rachel, I made the Quick Black Bean soup you posted last night. I put it in the crock pot to keep it warm until we returned from mass, served it with cornbread, it was DELISH!!! Very quick and simple to make and I had everything on hand to make it!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Lisa... it IS a great quick meal isn't it? I like it as a lunch too .
I also have to add that the Taste of Home site has LOADS of recipes for soup .

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JodieLyn wrote:

hmmm and what about a gumbo? I forget if there's a good thickener that can replace flour in gluten free diets since gumbo needs a rue.

I make "faux" gumbo. I don't start out with a roux, but either okra or file powder can help thicken it at the end. Not quite the gumbo experience, but all the other flavors are still there.

I also use corn starch as a thickener for other recipes (usually dissolve in liquid before adding to soup). I also skip the flour part of recipes that require "dredge in flour and brown meat". Browning the meat is all you need to do. If the soup/stew/gumbo at a later stage isn't as thick, you can start adding different types of thickeners towards the end of the process. I think Stefoodie had some gluten free suggestions in an old thread.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jenn.. I make what I call my "un-gumbo" I use the rue but I don't use either okra or file

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

This is one of my favorites. You can leave out the potato, subsitute olive oil for the butter (I do anyway), and use corn starch or chick pea flour instead of the flour. The cream is added to each serving so that can be left out, too, or you can use coconut milk, but some people strongly dislike coconut and there are so many other things going on with regard to flavor in this soup, Im not sure how it would be.

I also make this with a combination of chicken and lamb if the lamb is too pricey.

MULLIGATAWNY STEW
Ingredients:
1 lb. lean lamb, cubed
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. curry powder
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups water
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, sliced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 cup apple juice
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
hot cooked rice
Preparation:
In medium bowl toss lamb cubes with 1 Tbsp. of the curry powder and set aside.
Heat butter and olive oil in heavy skillet and add lamb cubes. Brown on all sides, about 4 minutes, and remove to a 4-6 quart crockpot. Add onions and remaining 1 Tbsp. curry powder to skillet; cook and stir until onions are crisp tender. Stir in flour and cook and stir until bubbly. Add 2 cups water and stir until thickened. Pour this mixture into slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except coconut milk, lemon juice, and rice. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours until all ingredients are tender. Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice and serve over hot cooked rice. Serves 6

And Id like to just add that most of my soups arent cooked from recipes. I just take whatever vegetables we happen to have handy and throw them in the slow cooker with fresh herbs and chicken broth and whatever type of meat we happen to have left over, or no meat at all. We have a fun time making up names for the soups I create this way... I used to call them all "harvest soup" because it was literally whatever we had harvested, but that got boring. Just last week we had "Lebanese Wedding Soup", for example. I guarantee it has never been served at a Lebanese Wedding, though.

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I just made this Butternut Squash Soup for lunch today and even my picky "no veggies for me please" child loved it. My son didn't care for it, but he doesn't like any kind of soup. He has food touching issues!

Here it is:

1 small to med. butternut squashed, peeled, cleaned and chopped into chunks
4 C. chicken stock
2 Tbl. minced onion
2 Tbl. butter (optional)
garlic salt
pepper

The original recipe I used called for a real onion and butter to saute with. Not having an onion, I melted the butter and put the squash in it long enough to stir it around. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Add chicken stock and minced onion. Simmer about 20 minutes until squash is tender. Puree in a blender and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote dollylima

"Food touching issues"! Yes! I know them well.

instantkiwi

Wife to Tim
Mama to Ian 2/27/00
Mama to MaryElise 7/22/08
Step-mom to Abby, Logan and Luke
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version