Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Long Lessons or Short Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

lapazfarm wrote:

A Schedule In Verse

Monday is for mostly math....

Tuesday is our writing day...

Wednesday is a science day....

Thursday is geography....

Friday is for Faith and Life....

Theresa
I absolutely love your poem, my apologies for doctoring I took the liberty in the interest of brevity (hey, maybe I could try my hand at verse )for my question.   If you have a different focus every day, say geography and your dc become engrossed does it cause a sense of disjointedness if they then have to wait a whole week to come back to this material? I'm fairly confident that you would go 'with the flow' and continue the next day if that is the case? If you do that then do you ever get to the 'next day's' topic? I do remember doing something like this years ago and I vaguely remember that we kept doing our favourite areas, and skipping our least favourite    Anyhow I've been pondering since you wrote whether to re-visit this approach.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Excellent question, Erin.
We have done this approach before ( I think at the beginning of last year) and have run up against the same issue, and we may again. I do want to be flexible, so I will allow some "overflow" so to speak, into the next day or so. Plus, we have so much time, really. If, for instance we get engrossed in geography (like what happened to day) and we want to carry it over until the next day (like we will tomorrow), I think I will just set aside some extra time by tweaking other plans a bit. I always overplan anyway, so I am used to letting things go. The good stuff always seems to happen anyway.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Theresa
I'm intrigued, what do you mean by 'so much time?'

I also would love to know more about what you do for geography so I asked over here not wanting to hi-jack Mary's thread.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin wrote:
Theresa
I'm intrigued, what do you mean by 'so much time?'

Well, I guess I just feel like there is a tremendous amount of freedom in homeschooling. There are so many hours in every day that we can fill them with a tremendous amount of learning if we want to. Between the hours of 9 and 3 there are 6 whole hours with not much else to do but lunch. That is a lot of time. Plus we can spend some time in the evenings if we care to (like watching a related movie, doing silent reading, playing a school-related game, etc), that adds another few available hours, depending on how dinner goes.
But it isn't just hours in the day that are long and relaxed. Its also days in the year, and years in our lives. If we step back at look at the big and bigger pictures, we can see that there is no rush to "get to" everything we want to every single day. There is always next week, or next year, or the next.
So, for instance, although the plan may be to get to all 7 continents this year in our geography lessons, what if we only get to two? Well, next year we can do a few more. If we get sidetracked because we are fascinated with a subject and can't bear to leave it quite yet, then I count that as a plus, not a minus.(On the other hand if we don't get to them because we have been lazy or Mom has been distracted, that is another story.)
Now I know that children grow up and so we really do not have unlimited time, but we also needn't rush in some misguided attempt to cover every subject every day of every week of every year, fearing that if we don't we may leave those dreaded gaps. As Elizabeth said so beautifully, "There will be gaps. I promise you gaps." We cannot go about our days in fear of them.
What we can do is relax, enjoy the process, and have faith that as long as the days are filled with joy and learning then we have had GOOD days. Even if they are not what we had planned.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version