Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Very Last Starbucks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Ever since the Starbucks opened in our neighborhood almost five years ago, I've had this on and again, off again love affair going. I like the smell. I like going in there and having them do exactly what I say--with a smile, no less . Lately, I don't even have to say it; they remember what I want. And for the most part, the baristas at our Starbucks are just very nice people without weird tattoos or nose rings.I always see someone I nkow; often it's someone on this list. It's a nice social gathering place.

But I know the caffeine and sugar are bad for me and I know it's a ridiculous waste of money. And yesterday, I had my last.

I've always kind of known that Starbucks supported some objectionable causes. Yesterday, it was all spelled out for me:

Starbucks: A Habit Easily Broken

Boycott anyone?

Oh and I noticed progress being made towards the opening of a Caribou Coffee in the 'hood. Anyone know anything about them??

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Elizabeth, I am literally sick to my stomach reading that article. There's a Starbucks in my Super Target and Jeanne and I will sometimes get something before we shop. I truly am sick. Count me in, twice, for a boycott.

So, what do I say to a 9 year old as to why we're not buying lattes anymore?

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Here in central PA we do not have a Starbucks.
Lewisburg has 2 small coffee places, locally owned, and there is a family run bakery near the library in Williamsport (coffee is decent, atmosphere is comforting)so Starbucks has not been an option.

But, when we travel, it has been a great place for all of us to unwind in the afternoon.
Now my battlecry when on the road will have to be, "no chain restaurants (Subway is the exception if hunger is overwhelming) and no Starbucks!"
Obviously I am not the most popular person in the family

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Looks like I found my cappuccino maker just in time.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

There is a Starbucks finally being built 1/2 mile from my house!!!!!!!!!

And, the only thing I could think of to get for a dear friend for her birthday (it's this Friday!) was a gift card at, you guessed it, Starbucks!   

I guess I need to think of a different gift--just a nice little token to say I remembered, any ideas???

I am sending them a letter, a real letter...and I emailed my m-i-l...She has about 10 members of her small, non-denominational, evangelical church, that work at Starbucks...Maybe I'll have more information to share later!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Count us in too for the boycott. We are definite coffee snobs, and love Starbucks coffee, but will gladly go without. It is sad and sickening, as is so much that goes on in this world!

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

-T

edit: i posted this before i saw my wife's comment, but i am in full agreement. i'm just sad. we can easily go without supporting them, tho.
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Laura

Elizabeth,
Ahh, I am hesitant to read the article as our entire family is starbuck addicted....from the womb!
Our 2 year old is always trying to sneak sips when we aren't looking. It's crazy.

I have tried giving it up, but it is hard when we don't do it as a family.

So are you going cold turkey from caffeine or are you just giving up the Starbucks? I live in Virginia Beach, VA and have not heard of Caribou Coffee.

I will read the article, and pass it on to my husband....

JMJ,
Laura
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Laura wrote:
Elizabeth,
Ahh, I am hesitant to read the article as our entire family is starbuck addicted....from the womb!
Our 2 year old is always trying to sneak sips when we aren't looking. It's crazy.

I've been known to circle the block with my cuppa just so I can drink it without my kids clamoring.

Just talked to dh, who is certain that his coffee habit ten years ago led to an appendectomy (he even got the pathologist to agree). The ironic thing is that when he was in the hospital, I was introduced to STarbucks. It wasn't terribly convenient after he was discharged, but I remembered years later when it became way too convenient. Anyway, he thinks cold turkey from coffee is a necessity for me.And he's probably right. Look for a tea post in the near future . I'm not ready to give up all caffeine altogether...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Laura

Yes, I can relate. My husband and I often sneak a Starbuck when we are shopping in the Farm Fresh without the children! They are everywhere and on every corner now here in VA Beach. To give you an idea of how bad it's become for our family: We won't buy one until it's been opened for at least a month because we don't think they know how to make them correctly until they have practiced. After reading the article and realizing just how much money we have given them over the years I realize how much money we have wasted....and to have it supporting those awful causes....ugh.
When my husband's sister and husband came to visit from Northern Maine a few years back they could not believe that we were paying that for coffee.
I'll join in on the ban, and I will try to join you on giving up coffee. Like you I can't go cold turkey, and I do love tea as well.
I have not even been able to give up caffeine while pregnant.
Oh, and on a side note....I posted my intro yesterday and mentioned that I was due last Thursday. Well, last night I lost my plug, but still no contractions. This is very weird for me because I usually have fast labors where everything happens all at once. Hopefully, soon....
JMJ,
Laura
P.S. I have Real Learning, as well as Don't Drink the Holy Water packed in my bad to re-read while in the hospital!
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

It's more work and not as much fun as going out but here are some starbucks recipes

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Willa

We go to a Starbucks about four times a year for a mini-"date" and a latte-- sigh.   No big money but still...

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Count me in too... good bye frappucino.

This topic prompted me to think about if there is any other establishment that I take for granted that should be boycotted too. Do you boycott any place else?

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Elizabeth,
Rick went caffiene free on a mophine drip while in the hospital 3 years ago. I went cold turkey and was miserable for a few days but the withdrawl headache was much better than the caffiene triggered migraines.
Rick's way was much better.
Since going caffiene free we found decaf French Roast beans at Wegman's which gives us the flavor we love. We have upped the caffiene a bit to half and half in the AM. He can handle the caffiene after lunch, I do not want to get on the caffiene coaster again, so I just avoid it.

The Baltimore Tea and Coffee company is a great source for decaf loose tea. I am especailly fond of the Chai and Earl Grey, both decaf. The shipping for larger orders is not too bad either.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth --

Thanks for the article link and info about Starbucks -- lucky for dh and I (and our almost weekly dates ) we have a local coffee shop that just opened and is closer than Starbucks. We'd not gone there yet, but this will definitely push us into the "Lava Java" camp!

Thanks Bridget for the link to the "gourmet sleuth" site -- this will be FUN (and less expensive!)

Blesisngs to all -- count me into the boycott!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Caribou is good. I like it. We have both Starbucks and Caribou all over the place now. Caribou is a nicer environment inside, I think.

But mostly I drink British tea with milk. Hooked, an addict. Give me my PG Tips. Coffee leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Julie

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I rarely go out for coffee (unless visiting the Foss manse), but I buy bottled Starbucks for the summer, and the whole beans occasionally (though I prefer 100% Kona).

I was wondering what would happen if we printed out a fact sheet from the article and put it onto the windshields of cars around Starbucks...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MacBeth wrote:
I rarely go out for coffee (unless visiting the Foss manse),

Ahh...and the truth is out: I do not know how to brew coffee. My addiction is entirely dependent upon the neighborhood Starbucks and bottle frappucinos....

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

Genevieve wrote:
Do you boycott any place else?

sounds like a great idea for a new thread. i'll take care of it right away.

-T
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

***But mostly I drink British tea with milk. Hooked, an addict. Give me my PG Tips.***

I'll second that...PG Tips is the best tea out there.

Sigh...I love those peppermint mocha frappucinos, too, but thats just too disgusting...involving children in this kind of thing...

Thanks for the head's up.

Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version