Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you shop on Sundays? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I would like to kick this habit- can anyone offer me some tips? I have only two days a week to go anywhere without children. Sundays with the kids can feel as harried as any other day- I wouldn't say that staying home with them is a day of rest. Where is the happy medium?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We don't shop, but we often do things that require other people to work i.e. go to coffee, fill up the gas tank, go to a museum.

If I try to think of Sunday as a day of rest I just get frustrated. Instead I try to think of it as a day for God and family. We go to Mass (obviously) and try extra hard to get all our family prayer in. We do things together. Dh calls his mom.   

If I need to run errands sans kids, I do it on Saturday afternoon when dh is willing to babysit for me.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We try not to. We have been advised by a number of priests that it is important to make Sunday truly a day of rest. No unnecessary work and no shopping.

It is tempting to get things done while dh is either with me and the kids or able to keep the kids home. We live a distance from many of the stores we shop at, they are up by our Church. So that makes it even more tempting because we are already in the vicinity.

One point that was made to me was that by shopping on Sunday, I am encouraging someone else to be working on Sunday. So, even if it is not a chore, maybe even a treat, to shop a little on Sunday, we are doing a disservice to all those people who are now away from their families.

We spend most Sundays puttering around at home. Very laid back. A big breakfast, Mass, outside time, games inside, etc. Occasionally, we have a family outing, but then you are looking at the same thing I guess if you go somewhere where someone else has to be working to serve you.

I think staying out of stores is a happy medium. Especially in the context of training your kids to see Sunday as different, as a day focused around God and family.

I am not there either. Your question inspired me to try harder! Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

We've tried to work on Sunday being a day of rest, but have never been able to avoid some shopping on that day.

For one thing, we've only got one car, so shopping during the week means shopping in the evening, which is not always a possibility.

For another, we do a lot of our necessity shopping at Costco, which is about a twenty-five minute drive from our house, but about ten minutes from our parish church. When gas got *really* expensive we could not always afford to drive that far twice in one weekend.

When our girls were babies and toddlers we lived in rural NC, and drove an hour and fifteen minutes each way for Mass on Sunday. We had to feed the little ones after Mass, and it just made sense to pick up staples like diapers etc. in the bigger city where our church was before heading home.

I'd love to live in such a way that we never needed to shop on Sunday. But as long as we live in a place where you don't live in walking distance to anything and have to drive everywhere, with just one car, I don't see us being able to avoid all shopping on Sunday.

That said, I'm much happier when we don't have to do anything except a minor errand or two, to replace something we've run out of, than I was back when we had no choice but to do grocery shopping on Sunday. I'd much rather not do that!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We are much better about this than we used to be -- must have been the 2 years in an Austrian village where EVERYTHING closes on Sundays and Feast Days! It was wonderful but tough at first (especially ensuring you had enough diapers, wipes and milk to last!).

We really do try and avoid shopping now, but do stop about 2 Sundays a month to get donuts on the way home from Mass ... but then, "the law is made for man, not man for the law" so I think you don't have to be too adamant about shopping/unnecessary chores if the situation arises where you "have to" or it would be making Sunday special (like buying donuts -- it's the only time we get them).

But I really need to be more aware of Sunday as a day of rest -- I just hate seeing the piled up dirty laundry and will often sneak in a load or two. That's NOT necessary and I need to break myself of that habit ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

One thing that helpd me was reading, "A land without Sundays", by Maria von Trapp.    That and an awesome homily that made me wiggle in my seat about 5 yrs ago! So no, I don't shop on Sundays anymore
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

We don't shop because all stores are closed on Sundays and Holidays. The temptation is just not there.
Milk is delivered to my front door 2 days a week, otherwise   I shop when dh is home.
Pope Benedict spoke about this topic in Vienna a couple of weeks ago, because the Austrians and Germans are trying to change this Sunday law, to allow commerce on Sunday.
People don't even mow their lawns here on Sunday. If you did your neighbors would really raise a stink!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My husband showed me an interview with A.J. Jacobs yesterday (I wish I knew where it was). He wrote this book called The Know-It-All that I've been wanting to read about a challenge he undertook to read the entire Encyclopedia Britanica.

Anyway, he has a new book about a challenge he undertook to follow all of the rules in the Bible for one year. (He consulted with various spiritual leaders, Christian and Jewish, for assistance.) They asked him about what he liked the most about his experience, and he said something about really taking Sundays off. And I get the impression that he stuck with the strictest descriptions of observing the Sabbath. I just found that very interesting and I look forward to reading the rest of the book.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Here's a link to the essay Chicken Lady mentioned, Land without a Sunday -- it really does open your eyes! Thanks Molly for reminding me about this article!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Mary G wrote:
Here's a link to the essay Chicken Lady mentioned, Land without a Sunday -- it really does open your eyes! Thanks Molly for reminding me about this article!

Thank you, Mary, for posting the link. I've heard the essay referred to several times over the years but had never taken the time to look it up and read it. What a thought provoking read! I've sent the link onto my dh as well.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MarieC wrote:
Mary G wrote:

Thank you, Mary, for posting the link. I've heard the essay referred to several times over the years but had never taken the time to look it up and read it. What a thought provoking read! I've sent the link onto my dh as well.
You are most welcome. Also, for those lucky enough to have a copy of "Around the Year with the Trapp Family" (sadly oop ) it's in there too!

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I admit it. I do. I don't like to though. We live out in the country and I don't drive. The only time I get to town is on Sundays after Mass. So I do go into a few places to pick up a few things. Usually I just get dh or my dd18 to pick up what we need during the week. I won't however go into the city on purpose to shop on a Sunday. It just doesn't feel right to me. Sometimes we have to go to Mass there. It's sooo busy and hectic. It definitely doesn't feel like a day of rest after that!
I have that essay too. Wonderful reading and very thought provoking. I'd have to say it's almost alien thinking here.
Mary G you should see our house on a Monday morning after a day of 'rest'    We need a day of work to clean up.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I think the scary thing about VonTrapp's essay is that it was written 50-some years ago and was taking about communist Russia -- doesn't really sound all that different from millenial America! Practically everything (but Chick-fil-a ) has bowed to the secularists and is open on Sunday. My teens worked on Sundays -- they needed the hours -- but it never sits well, y'know? It is AWFULLY convenient to hae things open on Sunday, but I just need to remember that I should do everything I can to keep it truly a day for the Lord!

Trish wrote:
Mary G you should see our house on a Monday morning after a day of 'rest'    We need a day of work to clean up.
-- isn't that what's nice about homeschooling -- you can call it "home ec" and get the kids to clean [btw, that doesn't work so well around here, but "hope springs eternal!"]

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

An interesting thought is that the ASL sign for Sunday is hands upraised as if to stop and then rotating them in a clock-wise or counter-clockwise direction. So, basically, Sundays (at least from ASL) are meant to stop and enjoy!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Quote:
We've tried to work on Sunday being a day of rest

I just couldn't resist pointing out the irony of this statement! :)

We are 'working' on this too...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

We try really really hard to not shop, or do things that cause others to do so/work. Its a recent change, since we are a one car family, but DH is in Iraq, so I am the only driver, so I don't have to "fight" for car time, lol.

Sometimes we HAVE to, but that's a rarity, if one thinks and plans ahead. Esp if one lives in town.

There are a few stores closed on Sundays--one chain is Hobby Lobby, the aforementioned Chick-Fil-A is another. And a couple of my local favorites--a tea shop, and a handmade chocolate store (not expensive, just the treat a mom on the run likes...lol). This is one of the benefits of patronizing locally owned/run establishments...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, Mary, for posting that link. Lots to think about in there.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Dh works out of town Sat's. Sunday is usually his only full day off. (but even tomorrow he has a Mass and Reception he is working at the Cathedral-12 noon- 6pm).
I just cannot get 4 boys to various sports, and all the other hoopla that occurs on Sat, plus clean our home, plus get all shopping and errands done by myself. Therefore, I often have to go to a store on Sunday.
We do not do Sunday Brunch at a restaurant, or anything that we deem unecessary or encouraging work on Sunday by our choices. However, if I am out of the basics, Milk, eggs, etc, I will shop on Sunday.
After speaking to a dear friend, I no longer feel guilty about Sunday afternoon sport tournaments. Frankly, I feel like sports are "recreation" far more than cleaning my home is. Also, the tournaments we have been involved in for soccer so far have been all parent/volunteer run, with no admission charged to get in at the gate.
Again, better than paying a restaurant for sunday Brunch, IMHO....
It IS hard for my family personally to keep Sunday a day of rest because we do not have the luxury of a "day of work" either...
Many dh's now do not have two days off in a row, or two days off.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I have also tried to observe "Sunday" as sundown Sat to Sundown Sunday, and then get to the store Sunday evenings...This works to some degree...some of the time...we also teach NFP on Sunday evening for the same reason- it is about the only time we can...
Anyone have a tangible way to "mark" Sabbath in their home?
I know of one family who lights a Christ candle and keeps it lit sundown to sundown....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Mary G wrote:
Practically everything (but Chick-fil-a ) has bowed to the secularists and is open on Sunday.

We've always really admired the Chick-fil-a company for this. We were frequent patrons when we lived in Houston (plus I love their chicken and fries ). Many people would go out of their way to eat their to show their support. It's one of the tangible things I miss about being up north...no Chick-fil-a
When I was driving driving down to VA for the 4Real conference, it took a lot longer than expected, as many others can testify. By the time I got down south, I had been in the car too long to get off the highway and grab some Chick-fil-a. I had forgotten about it till I was driving back home on Sunday and saw their sign by the ramp. I pulled into the drive-thru, and I'm calling waiting for someone to come take my order. It was a couple of minutes till I remembered they're always closed on Sundays!
Even though I missed my chance for their yummy chicken, I'm so glad they stick to their beliefs.
DH and I go back and forth about shopping on Sundays. It is difficult when there's such a limited amt of time to get things done. I still vacillate about eating out on Sundays...I'm not sure about it.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version