Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you shop on Sundays? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

A friend of mine told me years ago that her mother says that the Lord never blesses her when she shops on a Sunday.

It never fails. You get there and the store is closed, you forgot the coupon, the item is no longer on sale, they don't have the size you are looking for, etc. I'm telling you, further proof that God has a sense of humor.

He is so good, though. Last week, for various reasons, I had to go out on Sunday afternoon to get clothes for the kids. In the end, I only found a couple of things, and I realized later that I only got what I needed, not the things that I wanted. Looks like I'll be taking it easy tomorrow.

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 3:34am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Our church is a city centre church and I still have a wierd moment when I look at the crowds surging around everywhere and wonder what on earth is going on...then I remember that they are all shopping!

It seems so bizarre to me. I have never needed to shop on a Sunday. I have sometimes wanted to or been lazy and not made sure I didn't need to - but really, short of dropping the bottle of essential medication or baby formula, I can't see any necessity for us to do it.

But I don't think we are bound to a sort of jewish slavery to a sabbath idea. I think I am free in Christ to shop when I like, but Sundays when dh is home (he works a necessary job caring for the needs of a paralysed man) are rare and precious and we like them to be different and special.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

We do not to any shopping on Sundays. Certainly, for me, shopping can be a restful (and fun!) way to spend a day, but we do not want to contribute to others' having to work on Sunday if we can at all avoid it. We try our best to follow the Catechism in this. We also try not to frequent restaurants, movie theaters, etc. If we do an outing, we drive to the coast for a picnic or walk to the park.

We have a list of "to-do's" on Saturdays to ensure that we're all ready for a quiet Sunday: make sure the car has gas, do the laundry, set out breakfast dishes for the morning, refill diapers and wipes, get a crockpot dinner prepared--that sort of thing. I have this exhaustive list posted on the fridge, and my husband and I run through it together on Saturday evenings to be sure we've done it all. We only have one car at present, so my husband runs some errands during his weekday lunchtimes and I do the rest in the evenings or on Saturday.

We did not always observe the Sabbath in this way. When we were first married and I was in grad school, I spent much of Saturday reading, researching, and grading papers. I regret that now. This is something we have been increasingly committed too, and we have seen much fruit.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My husband works every Sunday. And all the people who watch football on TV on Sunday and Monday night "create" work for him. He's a sports television producer. There's not much of a market for live sports tv producers in the middle of the week--though he works then, too, rehashing what went on on the weekend. And when he got this job which requires (and guarantees) weekend work, we really believed (and still do) that it was an answer to prayer. His job provides a roof over our head and food on the table and clothing for a very large Catholic family. It enables me to stay at home and educate our children. If we had it to do over again, we probably would have chosen a different career path, but right now, with a house full of children, we are just grateful for the work.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
My husband works every Sunday. And all the people who watch football on TV on Sunday and Monday night "create" work for him. He's a sports television producer. There's not much of a market for live sports tv producers in the middle of the week--though he works then, too, rehashing what went on on the weekend. And when he got this job which requires (and guarantees) weekend work, we really believed (and still do) that it was an answer to prayer. His job provides a roof over our head and food on the table and clothing for a very large Catholic family. It enables me to stay at home and educate our children. If we had it to do over again, we probably would have chosen a different career path, but right now, with a house full of children, we are just grateful for the work.
Again, the laws were made for man, not man for the laws -- I'm sure y'all (and others in your situation) keep holy the Lord's day in addition to (or in spite of ) your dh's job ....

Also, some folks "milk" the keeping holy the sabbath day and are rotten the rest of the week; or ignore their Catholicity (or religious side). So, as usual -- no absolutes!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Elizabeth wrote:
My husband works every Sunday. And all the people who watch football on TV on Sunday and Monday night "create" work for him. He's a sports television producer. There's not much of a market for live sports tv producers in the middle of the week--

and I am grateful for that!! With a child in school now, I am glad for the sports that he can watch on Sundays- it is restful for him after getting all of his homework, work, football practice, and chores done- ....
Dh worked at the Cathedral until after 7pm last night. I had to get to the store. At least it was after sundown by the time I did

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

We pretty much take Sundays easy...as easy as we can, and try not to do any unncessary work, spending time with God and family.

One thing I've wondered about since our son (11) started football this year, playing for our parish...why do they have games only scheduled on Sundays??? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it...we find going to sports events that our kids are involved in an enjoyable way to spend time together as a family.

We're used to the occasional soccer or baseball game on Sundays, since these were with local rec leagues. When ds started basketball in our parish, all the games were Saturday, with perhaps the rare Sunday game for a tournament. So, the Sunday football just makes me wonder.

As an aside, it's great to see our Dominican sisters attending the games on Sunday afternoons. God bless them during these past couple of weeks, where the weather has been quite hot and there they sit in full habit!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

One thing I've wondered about since our son (11) started football this year, playing for our parish...why do they have games only scheduled on Sundays??? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it...we find going to sports events that our kids are involved in an enjoyable way to spend time together as a family.

[/QUOTE]
Our Diocese made a rule years back that no games and practices could be scheduled for anytime on Sunday. I'm grateful, but honestly Sundays are about the only day that dh is consistently home about 85% of the time. He would sure love to see more of his sons games- and he never ever does when the bulk of them are on Sats.
Like I mentioned before, I look at sports as very recreational. I feel much better about kids playing soccer on a Sunday afternoon and the whole family there cheering them on, then mom off at the Mall clothes shopping and then scrubbing toilets!
JMHO,

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

For years and years I worked on Sundays in the medical field... there are just some jobs that have to be done on Sundays (law enforcemnt, medicine, tv, fire dept, etc) , I never felt guilty about it, but now that I am home with the kids, I realize I have held on to that frantic Sunday mindset.   Scaling back will be a luxury.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Kristee
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 25 2007 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote Kristee

What are all of your thoughts about Online shopping on the Sabbath?

My first thought was that I do not shop on the Sabbath, but then as I thought further, I realized that I do occasionally shop online. I usually don't buy, but I do shop, make wish lists, surf the world"ly" wide web, etc. So I think I need to be careful about that.

For me, there are many distractions that cause me to loose focus on the important commandment of keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. I'd like to make more room for worshipful prayer, gospel study, renewal, service, visiting, and family time. Right now, with two littles, it is mostly family time, but I could plan ways to include them more. I think that not watching shows on the TV would also be a step in the right direction for our family, as would visiting elderly neighbors. Sometimes Sundays turn into a lazy day but somehow I think there is more to having a day of rest than that, although a good long nap has a wonderful way of renewing bodies and spirits!

This has been a great topic to get me thinking. Thanks.
Back to Top View Kristee's Profile Search for other posts by Kristee

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

When we lived in Germany we had no choice - everything was closed (well the local places were closed - the PX and commissary we're still open).

We try not to shop on Sundays if at all possible. Not only because it's Sunday but because it's the busiest shopping day and the stores are packed!

Dh has had various jobs over the years that require he work on Sunday but right now he is off Sundays and I'm pretty strict about keeping it a family day because we see so little of him during the week.

As others have mentioned though we aren't bound to the rules of the sabbath anymore. Sunday isn't the sabbath, it's the fulfillment of it:

2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:

Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.

2176 The celebration of Sunday observes the moral commandment inscribed by nature in the human heart to render to God an outward, visible, public, and regular worship "as a sign of his universal beneficence to all." Sunday worship fulfills the moral command of the Old Covenant, taking up its rhythm and spirit in the weekly celebration of the Creator and Redeemer of his people.

We all have things that are particular to our family and situation. The CCC guides us on how to live out Sunday as best we can:

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done," human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord's Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord's Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church's holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country's legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this "festal gathering," this "assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven."

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version