Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: a Catholic home? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Glenn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Glenn

My husband is a recent convert to Catholicism from an evangelical Christian denomination. He doesn't quite understand the use of religious images in the Catholic church. I am very interested in how you all make a Catholic home. Also, do any books about the use of religious images come to mind?

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Glenn,
I am not much help in pointing you towards resources but I think you ask great questions. How wonderful that your husband converted!
I also would like to have more of our faith shining through our home. I have started to pick up things that I like when I see them. I do not have much, a few Madonnas, MacKenzie's First Holy Communion banner,an Irish Blessing, and a few items in the children's rooms. Of course I have more out at Christmas and Easter.
My problem is deciding what I want, I try not to be drawn to the "cutesy". I want to pick nice pieces that my children will remember. I can still picture the carving of the Last Supper in my parents home.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One of the main things I think a Catholic home MUST have is a crucifix in main view in the main living area (I try to have one in each room, but that's just me) and one in every bedroom. A crucifix has a corpus as compared to crosses. Most Protestants don't use crucifixes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Glenn,
It might help for you to compare religious images to pictures of friends and family members. We fill our homes with them so that we can remember them and gaze lovingly upon their pictures. So, too, do we add religious images to our homes...it's a very simple, non-threatening explanation.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I am a convert from Evangelical Christian background too (15 years last Easter).   Elizabeth's explanation is the one that resonated with me when I first heard it.

My father took me to Mass when I was visiting him in Alaska -- he is still an Evangelical. He was sort of taken aback by a rather sentimental picture of the Sacred Heart in the Church.   Sometimes, contemporary "church art" can look garish to a Protestant, even if it is done in an appropriately "pious" and not modernistic style.   There are lots of second-rate artists out there -- how could there not be??

I read an explanation by St Faustina about this -- she cried when she saw the first commissioned reproduction of the Divine Mercy picture she had envisioned. It looked so different from what she had seen in her mind. The Lord told her that it did not matter to Him whether the actual picture was second rate or not. "Not in the beauty of the color, nor of the brush, lies the greatness of this image, but in My grace."

Perhaps icons, scriptures and prayers in calligraphy, and similar more stylized things might work for a start in the home environment.     We have several San Damiano Crucifixes over the house -- they are almost like a catechism lesson -- every detail means something.

I found this explanation online about why Catholics use visual beauty in Church Statues in Church.

Many blessings on your dh's conversion and his new life in the Catholic Church -- it has been such a treasure house for me!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

In addition to the helpful link Willa posted here are two explanations on the use of religious art/images in the Catholic Church. I think the one from CUF is particularly insightful.
Catholics United for the Faith
Catholic Answers

Glenn wrote:
I am very interested in how you all make a Catholic home.

When we think of our homes as the "Domestic Churches" that they are it makes sense to bring elements we see in the Church into our homes - statues, pictures, candles, holy water, etc.
Additionally here are a couple websites that share ideas for building a Catholic culture in the home in addition to the physical reminders like pictures and statues. This is encouraged through traditions, celebrations, activities, prayers, and much more.
Domestic Church
Catholic Culture

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

jenngm67 wrote:
One of the main things I think a Catholic home MUST have is a crucifix in main view in the main living area

I would also add a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. You could then have your home enthroned .... is that right? My brain is a little foggy at the moment. I know we had an enthronement(?) to the Sacred Heart when we had our house blessing. Our picture is beautifully framed and fits in nicely with the rest of the house. I think I sometimes get a little worried that there will be "too much" religious stuff around and what would my non-religious neighbors or friends think - of course, I know this is ridiculous!! This is coming from someone who has yet, after being in our new home for over two years, to put any family pictures or non-religious pictures up! I only have the crucifix, the Sacred Heart, and a very old, small oil painting of Mary and Jesus!   All else is sitting patiently in some closet somewhere........

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:
One of the main things I think a Catholic home MUST have is a crucifix in main view in the main living area

I would also add a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. You could then have your home enthroned .... is that right? My brain is a little foggy at the moment. I know we had an enthronement(?) to the Sacred Heart when we had our house blessing. Our picture is beautifully framed and fits in nicely with the rest of the house. I think I sometimes get a little worried that there will be "too much" religious stuff around and what would my non-religious neighbors or friends think - of course, I know this is ridiculous!! This is coming from someone who has yet, after being in our new home for over two years, to put any family pictures or non-religious pictures up! I only have the crucifix, the Sacred Heart, and a very old, small oil painting of Mary and Jesus!   All else is sitting patiently in some closet somewhere........

Erica,

Are you my long lost sister? I just moved from 4 years in a house, and still had some pictures waiting for proper placement...my Sacred Heart still hasn't been framed or hung. I, too, think the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart is so important. I'm now moved, so I need to decide my placements.

I, too, believe in minimalist in my sacred decorations. Too much religious stuff is a turn-off for others...and ME! I've seen the overload and kitschy Catholic in some homes and it was too much for me. I like fewer but nicer items that make a statement. I LOVE the San Damiano cross, too.

There was another discussion about Prayer Corners.

Decorating your home with religious articles is important because "home is where your heart is" -- your faith should be the most important thing in your life. Your home should reflect this priority.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

jenngm67 wrote:
Erica, Are you my long lost sister?

I guess I am a minimalist all the way around - not in the modern way, just the less-is-more type. I was going to say earlier that a few really nice pieces, nicely framed or placed in prominent places says a lot. I am a little sad because I have a beautiful Last Supper picture that was my grandmother's, but it is a little big, my house is a little small and for now I just can't seem to find a place (wall) for it....not that there aren't plenty of open wall spaces!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
I guess I am a minimalist all the way around - not in the modern way, just the less-is-more type.

Same with me!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Glenn

Thank you all so much for your ideas. They are so helpful!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We have a carved wooden crucifix, some statues and a lovely icon (it just glows on the dining room wall!). I also have a little saints' corner on the side of my fridge next to the stove. I do this in every house...I put my saints up so I can see them as I work in the kitchen. This reminds me that every task can be an act of love, no matter how small.

I think Elizabeth has it just right...these images remind us that we have family and friends in Heaven, too, and that we can ask for their prayers just as we ask each other for them. It's really comforting.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hi Glenn,

Although my husband and I were raised Catholic, neither of us had any connections to Catholic images in our home. (Hmmm...wonder if that is connected to our overall lack of formation...) We needed to start from scratch. We simply agreed that we would look for images that were beautiful and/or compelling to us. We wanted them to be reminders of our growing faith and love for the Trinity and the Communion of Saints.

I started by collecting crucifixes. For awhile, I would purchase a crucifix at each church and/or Catholic store that I would attend. (I also purchased rosaries at the same time.)

Next, I started collecting statues of the saints. This grew organically as we developed a relationship with that particular saint. For example, when we were in need of employment and were moving, St. Joseph became very dear to us.

I'm also very attracted to Madonna and Child images. I collected several at church picnics while back east.

There are a few images that I recall from my childhood, probably from the parochial school, that I have felt attracted to and have added to my home. I've also added some fine art depictions (El Greco) along the way.

We also have Our Lady of Guadalupe in a beautiful frame, raised high on a wall with a vaulted ceiling. Below it we placed a wall shelf where we place candles and other beautiful things.

There really are so many beautiful images and we could argue that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For us, once we gave attention to the need for Catholic images in our home, we found just what we needed, when we needed it . We haven't rushed anything and it is a lot of fun to see what item will find its way to our home next! I've recently been wanting a tapestry...

I sure that you will be blessed by your desire to bring Catholic images to your home and that your choices will reflect your family's unique expression of faith.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

When my youngest daughter was not quite three, she developed a great devotion to the Blessed Mother as Our Lady of Guadalupe. At eight years old, she still has that devotion. So we have a kind of Our Lady of Guadalupe theme in our house. She is beautiful; I love her messages to St Juan Diego.
We also have statues of our favorite saints on a shelf in the family room. And magnets of them on the refrigerator where we can see them often.
Outside I developed a religious theme in my herb garden. We have statues of Our Lady of Guadalupe (of course!) St Joseph and St Francis (acquired after we lost our infant son Joseph Francis). My dh got me a statue of St Fiacre (patron saint of gardeners) and St Ann( a very popular saint here in northeast PA!) for one of our anniversaries. Then I got into this solar light phase this summer and found solar spotlights for my favorite saints. I love looking out at them in the dark.
So I guess that I would say, make it personal. Saints that you have a devotion to or beautiful images of Our Lord or Our Blessed Mother that speak to you.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Willa, thanks for that article explaining the San Damiano crucifix! One of my sons has one and loves it. Now I see a religion lesson coming!!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2005 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Glenn,
   I only just saw this post, and it's probably 'way moot by now, but I thought I'd add my 2cents worth anyway, as this is a subject that is near and dear to me. I am a convert to the Catholic faith, too, my dh was raised nominally Catholic, so I've sort of had to feel my way along on this topic. All I knew, when we set up our house, is that I wanted a Catholic home... As someone on the thread put so succinctly, traditional Catholic art often strikes Protestants as rather kitschy, I know this has been the case with me. But at the same time, I read some where the question, "If Jesus were to come into your house for dinner, would he recognize that yours is a Catholic home?" For me, the quest has become to find beautiful liturgical art that speaks to me and shouts "Catholic", but in a tasteful way. Oddly enough, my Protestant mother and I had started collecting antique icons years ago, so icons have become the cornerstone of my home's ecclesiastical art "collection". Even our Sacred Heart picture is an icon, a new icon, to be sure, but I found a beautiful old frame that I put around it, and it looks wonderful with a votive candle flickering in front of it (BTW if you haven't found out by now, choosing a Sacred Heart picture is a very personal endeavor!! Everyone is different on this subject ) Another thing I started watching for, and have found, are Santos. They are lovely, and anything BUT kitsch. Although they can be pricey, there are still "deals" out there. I have two that were given to me, again by people who just didn't want them (silly people!). I've found old sheets of gregorian chant, which I framed, and inexpensive majolica plaques showing our Lady of Guadalupe. Beautiful, classic, evocative crucifixes are another must. We have a large, primitive, but moving crucifix hanging in our entrance area that was given to us by someone who didn't want it! I agree with Wilma, too, the San Damiano crucifixes really are a beautiful addition to any house---and who doesn't love St. Francis? My artist sister, who scoffed at my interest in liturgical art, has given me two stunning antique madonnas. Go figure. (Maybe she felt guilty...when she criticized my house as having too much liturgical art---and it doesn't, I just showcase what I have, keep things spare and DONT have pictures of family everywhere like she does---anyway, when she made her comments, I just asked her if Jesus would know she was a Christian if he were to come visit her house? Ever since then, she's given me beautiful relgious art!!! ) I found a simple, but lovely, 18" ceramic kitchen madonna that graces my counter, for $12 at a collectible store. If you cruise the antique stores, you will find religous art, much of it very reasonably priced. I'm sad that religious art doesn't sell well to the hoi polloi (in the Deep South, anyway!), but I'm thrilled to be able to find elegant liturgical art at a decent price. We've also found that the copies of Rafael paintings and the like, done on wood, are a beautiful accent, and elegant. Friends have brought back to me from Europe prints of Florence cathedrals, and I've found nifty painted prints of priests from the 19th century, as well as fascinating prints of 16th century Catholic weddings, all of which I picked up for peanuts---or received as gifts. I guess the word got out I was collecting antique holy water fonts: I've received at least two 19th century ones as presents! Isn't that amazing?

There was an article I read years ago that said there is no reason for Catholics to feel compelled to collect kitsch--that we hold the market on original, grand, ecclesiastical art: Michelangelo, Rafael, Leonardo-Hey! They're OUR guys! There is plenty of beautiful, uplifting Catholic art out there that anyone should delight in having, you don't have to be Catholic to have it..it just so happens that the art itself IS Catholic! What a happy coincidence. You don't have to have lots of art, you don't have to have originals. But you certainly *can* decorate beautifully with liturgical art in a fashion that doesn't scare people away. I'm with Jenn and Erica on quality, not quantity, and keep your eyes open for beauty.
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Glenn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2005 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Glenn

Kelly,
Thank you so much for your thoughts about this. I love your ideas about Catholic art in the home. What are santos?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2005 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Glenn wrote:
What are santos?

Santos are part of Spanish-American colonial liturgical art common to the areas of the southwestern United States (particularly New Mexico) and to Mexico. It includes both carved three dimentional figures (bultos) and painted images (retablos). There was a discussion awhile back on this in the Non-American Catholic traditions thread.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version