Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Catholic Treasure box? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Not sure if this fits in the picture book category, but is it something that your kids love and read over and over? I've been wanting to buy the first set, but the $40 price tag has me hesitating.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

It probably depends on your family's taste. My family very much likes old books and illustrations, we love the Treasure Box books! I am reading them to my third 'cluster' of kids right now. The older ones still pull them out to read.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, Bridget
My kids like old books and illustrations... things like the Little Golden Books "We Help Mommy" and "Baby Dear" they really like. They don' like anything scary, though... are the Treasure Box books pretty safe that way?

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Nothing scary in the Treasure Box books at all! I bought the whole set 6 years ago and I'm reading them to my next batch of littles now too. They are so sweet and fun. I will say that because they are soft cover and large-ish, (not to mention pricey!) I keep them up high and out of reach to they are not destroyed. They have lasted 6 years in our house, so that's saying ALOT!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
My kids like old books and illustrations... things like the Little Golden Books "We Help Mommy" and "Baby Dear" they really like. They don' like anything scary, though... are the Treasure Box books pretty safe that way?

Melinda! We love those here, too. Have you seen "We Help Daddy"? Those illustrations are just too precious and I love the message of both those books.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

My dd likes really these my only caveat would be some of the portrayal of the Africans refelct the era they were written in.

Dd's best friend is african american and the books raised a few questions for her.

Nothing bad just a little dated.

Of course we like the oldfashioned style and the games!

We play "where does the tailor live" whenever we are in line.
so not everything dated is bad
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I didn't think they were scary... but my (4 or 5 yo at the time) did.

We were reading along and got to book 3. We were reading about Wupsy and his guardian angel when... he saw a cartoon picture of a devil (hiding in the bushes); promptly hopped off the couch; and ran to the other room! Observant me didn't even see a devil to know what possibly scared him.

But truly my son takes after me -- HUGE scaredy cat!! However, he wasn't interested in reading them anymore. So I didn't push it. So I can't tell you if there is anything else scary!! I'll pick them up again with my second son who is not afraid of his shadow.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We love them here!!! I split the cost with another family and we trade off the 5 books every few months. My girls love the Therese stories, especially. I keep them up high too....they'd be mangled by now if I didn't.

"We" were also a bit "scared" about the devil in the Wupsy stories at first, but it HAS led to great discussions about hte devil and evil, etc. Also, when they were younger, we only did the Mary/Therese stories....Wupsy was later. My girls are also HUGE scaredy-cats too.

I think "Prayer for a Child" (one of our favorite nighttime books) is the same illustrator as "We Help Daddy."

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

We love the Treasure Box series. A wealth of character-forming stories, fairy tales, and fables appropriate for the little ones, and of course, those simple Catechism or Saint Lessons at the beginning of every book. I find them indispensable for early Faith formation in my family.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JennGM wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Melinda! We love those here, too. Have you seen "We Help Daddy"? Those illustrations are just too precious and I love the message of both those books.

I have not seen "We help Daddy", but I will look for it now!. My library has only one book by Eloise Wilken- I was just lucky to find a collection of her stories on sale at Marshalls one day. It's a absolutely beautiful book- nine of her stories in full color-, and my kids love. it.

We are scaredy cats here, too- my ds just in the past 3 months will watch a Bob the Builder video (previously he thought Spud was too scary). But I do so much want to try out the Treasure Box books, especially after hearing so many great reviews.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Melinda,
I found mine on Ebay--$40 for both sets together! They were the old, original copies, not the reprints, so they are pretty fragile, but soooo worth it.
Maybe you could find some on Ebay or half.com and save some money.

My boys love them! I think they were a bit scared when we first read the devil stories, but like Suzanne said, they lead to some very good discussions.
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I originally bought book 1 and wasn't so keen, I have to say the African portrayal as Cathin mentions did bother me. But then I went to a book sale and bought the entire 20 books (hole punched and strapped together) for 10cents I went home and this time we really enjoyed them, they are indeed a treasure

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version