Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: This is my family- which direction? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Hi Molly,

Have you looked into Robinson Curriculum? This may be worth your time to look into it. Robinson's way of "teaching" came out of the sudden death of his wife. Gosh, I think they had 6-8 kids, the last two being 6 year old twins at the time of her death. He is a scientist, as was she. Initially he tried to continue homeschooling as his wife had by "teaching" the kids. Even though he got help from well meaning friends, it didn't work.

He decided to set up school where they taught themselves. They all had learned to read and write (the younger ones did get help) prior to the mothers' death. He required 2 hours of math (on their own, corrections and all with no help from him), 2 hours of reading (from a specific reading list), vocabulary words and writing every day. For the ones 10 and younger, he required copywork. The older ones, he required one page written work (any subject they chose). He would circle the errors and they would have to rewrite the papers until corrected.

Each of the children are grown now. They *all* did extremely well in their SAT scores and in college. They placed out on many classes. I know, I follow the RC forum. I have talked to *many* parents through the years that followed this same formula with great success.

The point is, Mom and Dad do not teach. The kids teach themselves.

I lovvvve cuddle time. I always include that in our schooling.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I like Linda's suggestion.   I've never actually bought the RC CDs, and I use Catholic-oriented books rather than the 19th century Protestant ones on the RC booklist, but every time I'm feeling extremely overloaded I go back to our own family approximation of the Robinson method. It seems to suit this literature=oriented introverted mom with a bunch of kids all different ages and interests.

Leonie once linked to a nice article about how it was used by an Australian mom with a bunch of children.

Robinson Curriculum

I guess it is another version of "Less is More" with a lit emphasis.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

cfa83 wrote:

Well that IS a very CM concept you know. Children read on their own, narrate, etc. It was a way that the curriculum would be "teacher proof" as CM called it.

So far this year that's the way it's working here with my older children (15, 12, & 11). They have their list of books and a list telling them how often they are to do each subject weekly. They read and then narrate in their notebooks, which they then leave in a box on my desk so I can look over their narrations.   Math they do every day on their own and I or dh check it at the end of the day.

I have tried to make our schedule more relaxed this year and allow them to start and stop when they like provided they are doing what they need to do. So far it's working well.

The one who requires the most attention is my 7.5 yr. old. She reads but still needs help and her narrations are still oral. I do lessons with her in the mornings but we're easily done by lunch. My 5 yr. old does a minimal amount - his attention span is pretty short so I don't push it with him.

Also, at dinner lately our conversation has been very much along the lines of "hey mom did you know..." It's great because ALL of us benefit from each other's reading.

In any case Molly it sounds like you have a workable plan. Keep us updated.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Hi Michele,

I finally figured out the secret: CM, Robinson, Classical Ed., the Trivium Pursuit, The Colfax's (Education for Excellence) have soooooo much in common. All for one, one for all! I know some folks will disagree but that's the beauty of homeschooling, making it our own. I love it.

Willa, I agree with you on the Protesant material selected in their reading list. I take the method, same as CM, and apply it to our own set of reading list. This is something none of us could do if we had our kids in public/private school.

Molly, I can't remember if the course study is available without purchasing the curriculum. Juuuuuust in case you're interested here it is in a nut shell:

Math
Reading
Vocabulary
Narration (that which you do not understand or would like to understand at a more concrete level...college professors do all the time with their 101 classes)
Copywork 10 and younger
Daily written pages 10 and older

All the other subjects are to be taught (if actually needed depending on the individual child) on a as needed basis. He emphasizes short lessons on those outside subjects too. If grammar is what the child needs to chore up on, spend only a few weeks on it.

Sounds CMy doesn't it?

In our home, we do like most homeschooling families, blend from here and there to make our own.

I do not think you have to purchase RC in order to implement it. Personally, I switched to Teaching Textbooks from Saxon. It has made the *world* of difference in our home. Peace reigns. They finally (me too ) understand math. I am not teaching math, per se, nor are they following the RC method on teaching themselves. But hey, they understand and enjoy math. What more can a mom want???

I like the idea of self taught kids. That is what we strive for here and have accomplished (without using RC). If my kids become interested in any subject, they are used to finding information out on their own and making it a personal study. I go with the flow on that one.   I just make sure they have their basics.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

cfa83 wrote:

I lovvvve cuddle time. I always include that in our schooling.

This is very similar to what we do. I've been tempted to respond here & haven't had enough time to respond here but I believe the reason why I'm so enthusiastic about our school year & don't feel burnt out whatsoever is that I see myself more as an "administrator" rather than a "teacher". With our oldest two, I sat with them everyday one on one & worked with them. They virtually had no independent work. At some point, a lightbulb went off & I realized that it is THEIR education. Honestly, I enjoyed our time together and could see myself going along that way if we had only 2 dc or so. By the time I had 2 more babies (bringing us to 6) & required them to do work on their own, there was some significant "balking" as the habit of working independently had not been established. Now with our middle two, they do at least 50% of their work independently (3rd grade) already as I learned with the 2 oldest to get the habit established earlier.

I also find that I can easily become bogged down with lots of correcting. Our 2 oldest dc are doing Saxon & since there's an exams every 5th day, I only correct the exam. With the DIVE cds, they've been able to understand the concepts right away.

All this independent work has freed us up for some of the "fun" things - yes, cuddling, artwork, FIAR, SOTW, etc.

Molly, it sounds like you are trying so hard & I know you have your hands full! When you're in the middle of these situations, it's always so difficult to step back & get a grasp of the big picture, I know. Looks like you're making progress though!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 3:38am | IP Logged Quote Erin

BrendaPeter wrote:
   With our oldest two, I sat with them everyday one on one & worked with them. They virtually had no independent work. At some point, a lightbulb went off & I realized that it is THEIR education. Honestly, I enjoyed our time together and could see myself going along that way if we had only 2 dc or so. By the time I had 2 more babies (bringing us to 6) & required them to do work on their own, there was some significant "balking" as the habit of working independently had not been established. Now with our middle two, they do at least 50% of their work independently (3rd grade) which has helped things considerably.

Brenda
I am RIGHT at the lightbulb stage. I am experiencing the balking. I just KNOW that they three oldest need to be more independent (actually dd14 is) but the ds 12 and 10 aren't. I would REALLY appreciate having the benefit of your experience on how to make the transition on a practical note. A step by step plan will be fine Seriously ANY help will be very, very much received. I am trying various things but it is not really working.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Erin wrote:

Brenda
I am RIGHT at the lightbulb stage. I am experiencing the balking. I just KNOW that they three oldest need to be more independent (actually dd14 is) but the ds 12 and 10 aren't. I would REALLY appreciate having the benefit of your experience on how to make the transition on a practical note. A step by step plan will be fine Seriously ANY help will be very, very much received. I am trying various things but it is not really working.

Honestly Erin, it was a process and, of course, you have to find what works for your family. My friend, the mother of 8 very bright & cheerful dc, who uses Seton exclusively was an inspiration to me. I couldn't get over the amount of work her kids did on their own compared to my children! Also, my dh kept reminding me of how our parents never really helped us when we were our dc's ages which is true. Our oldest ds has vision (conversion) problems which was a major reason why he was not so independent but I see now that I under-estimated his potential.

The 1st thing I did, starting last year, was enroll our oldest 2 dc (boys - 11 & 13) in a Seton (reading) course. Not sure if this is an option for you (in Australia) but I would just recommend that you train your dc to follow written instructions, be it a lesson plan, workbook or even a recipe! Yes, it will be challenging at 1st as they will not like it if they've grown used to being "spoon-fed" .

This year is SO MUCH better. Both boys are enrolled in 3 Seton classes and an online Memoria Press Latin class (which is fabulous so far). But, I should tell you, that there's still a little balking. Before we started up this past week, I spent quite an amount of time with both of them going over their lesson plans & highlighting the assignments so that the 1st week would go smoothly. Sure enough, they both came to me this past week and said "I have no idea what to do" .
Seriously though, their independence frees me up to work with my 8-year-old who really struggles with reading, not to mention my other 3 dd's.

I really love what StephanieA wrote on this thread over at "Wisdom over 40":

Elizabeth hit on something I have been thinking about lately too....how we homeschooled 10-15 years ago, our idealogy, our game plan. Well, we had tea parties and LOTS of outside walks everyday. Nature trips on a regular basis. Narration, narration, narration. I was very enthusiastic, and it was all very fun, a new adventure in the path of life.

However, I had to face the fact that while I can homeschool a LITTLE like that now, I can't do it full force. I really don't think it can be done. Grades 6-10 are pivotal years. Face it... if the 1st grader doesn't read well until 3 or 4th grade, so what? I have had 2 older boys who didn't read well until 4th grade and academically they are just fine. BUT....if our high school freshmen is still struggling through algebra 1/2, we may have a real problem if this child is thinking college and scholarships. Plus I have 5 schooling again this year. There is no way I can get a 7th, 9th, 12th grader done at noon for all that "fun" stuff". I have to stop mid-mornings and put the baby down for a nap. There goes a 1/2 hour. The first and 4th grader, I'm not worried about if I don't get done everyday. But if the 9th grader can't write a decent paragraph, it is going to hurt him academically.

That's the reality that many of us with large families face. Training my dc to work independently has helped them to take responsibility for their own education, as well as freed me up to give my attention to the little ones who really need me. Plus it gives us a little time to squeeze in some of those "fun" things like tea parties so that the process is a joyful one!

HTH!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have been re-reading this thread today. I am really feeling frustrated again. I know that this is primarily due to the fact that I have been sick for the last two weeks and there has been little to no structure here.

Here is where I am right now. We have the Sonlight books. I am not even attempting the IG other than for the order of books. The younger kids are doing their workbooks and otherwise just reading when they want to, playing lots of cards and Hangman, and today we installed Music Ace Deluxe on the computer which they had a good time with.

Ds 9 is still only doing his math, spelling and history reading. I have not pressed the writing issue as I have been trying to rest and am already stressed without fighting with him. He did do a narration for me when I asked so it isn't all bad.

Dd 11 is getting up early, doing her math, spelling, handwriting, Image of God and some history reading. I had bought a couple of different Language Arts books to use with her from Andrew Pudewa, but I am just not on top of it at all. Her father wrote up her science schedule using Christian Kids Explore Biology yesterday, because again, I just wasn't doing it. She is bored by lunch and I can tell started to get discouraged and loose steam.

So, I am seriously considering returning the Sonlight package (money back guarantee!) and buying the Robinson Curriculum. If it is something that will give dd 11 structure and direction without being dependent on flaky old me, than it will be worth it. The reviews seem good and I have PLENTY of supplemental stuff around here if she needs more. But to know she can get a "good" education that is still literature based while I am busy having babies and struggling to get the big picture (house, discipline, meals, etc.) under control would give me more peace.

Otherwise, by noon everyday, I am fantasizing about how to get these kids into a school that would be acceptable to all of us. I don't want to send them away, but I am so far behind the curve that I get depressed.

I would love to hear more about Robinson, Linda or anyone who has used it. I read the link that Willa provided and it seems doable to me. I liked one review on the Robinson website from an unschooler who said it worked really well for them.

So, the eternal search goes on. I am in the process of writing out our family goals for the next few months. The top of the list is creating a pleasant,orderly home. My kids don't know what this looks like. And our family is going to continue to grow and live this life at home together, than home needs to be somewhere I want to be.

Wow, this is really long-winded, hopefully not too convoluted! The dinner timer is buzzing, (I actually cooked a real meal!!!) so you all are saved for now!

God bless you all, you are such a source of inspiration and support for me.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Hi Molly,

I have to remind myself the is no silver bullet.

There are many roads to self-education. RC does not have the corner market on it, nor does Classical Education, CM and many more. The truth, as it seems to me, is that the unschooler/traditional schooler or any of the above have found self-education through the methods they choose.

Before you purchase RC, please read the Course Study. You will find (as with many programs) you probably will tweek it to fit your own style.

Personally, I have had the child that stared at their math book for hours, days, months loathing what they are doing. RC would say trudge through, they need to figure it out themselves. I have followed the RC forum for years (as I do others) and have gleamed lots of good information.

My dad had questioned me at the beginning of our homeschooling journey, "How can you possible teach math when you didn't understand it yourself?" I never planned on teaching it. At the time, I didn't know how it was going to work out but I did know God called us to this path and He would somehow provide. He has.

My path does not fall under the RC jurisdication of Saxon math as it turns out, but my kids are not only completing their math on their own but love it. Saxon works wonderfully for thousands of kids, they just didn't happen to live in my house.

I think you are ahead of the game knowing and accepting you do not want to teach but you do want to homeschool. That road leads to self-education. Some of your kids definetly like workbooks. That works for them. I wouldn't change that. That would not fall under "RC" per se but it does fall under self-education. Here, as others pointed out on this thread, you become the facilitator not the teacher.

Have you ever read about Joyce Swann? She homeschooled her 8 (10?) kids with Calvert. Calvert is a very stuctured traditional curriculum. They schooled 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, year round. She was strick about those 3 hours. No yip yapping unless it was a question concerning school. No phone calls, doctors appointments, recess, you name it. She was dubbed "Accelerated Schooling" because her kids finsihed highschool on average at 11 (?), college at 15, masters at (17/18?). Like a couple of your kids, hers truly enjoyed the structure of workbooks. No one can tell me that is not self-education. If you do google her, she has some great tips for homeschooling moms that she calls time-killers to actual schooling.

You're not asking about accelerated schooling but Mrs. Swann proves, you don't have to "teach" even if you don't have a proclaimed "self-education" curriculum.

I have a dear friend who uses Seton and by all standards, her kids are self-educated. They do their own work without mom teaching. She is there to answer questions, but for the most part, she is a facilitator.

Everything I mentioned above can be said for the Classical, RC, Unschooler or the CM method. I know there are more methods out there.

We all know moms (me included) that follow this method or that. It doesn't take me long for my eyes to roll to the back of my head and want to pass out.

I have visited with moms who with these same situations stand back and let their kids teach themselves, guiding when necessary all using completly different "curriculums" or methods.

If you do go the RC route, I will suggest this: try the method with your ds who would rather read than anything else and require the daily writing (be it copy work/ daily page). For your other kids who really do enjoy workbooks, I wouldn't take them away from them. I like what Elizabeth recommended concerning your Sonlight books. You already own them. He likes them. Keep 'em. I still keep what is working for each child. Tweek only what you need to.

One RC mom who kept the workbooks despite what RC recommends did it this way :
2 hrs math
2 hrs reading
writing - Monday: grammar lessons
               Tuesday: spelling lessons
               Wednesday: copywork
               Thursday: one page of whatever they want
               Friday: something language arts (can't remember!)

All the other subjects in RC are taught by reading. He does believe in allowing reading for descriptive science but strongly believes in finishing higher math prior to starting calculas, chemistry etc.   

Molly, I want to encourage you to review what you already know. You stated them for yourself and your kids on your first post. I would not change what is working. Draw on your strenghts and your kids. You *can* not teach using any method IMO. I have buddies who prove it and their kids are academically doing extermely well by anyone's standard annnnnnnnd they have time for their self-intersts. Yahoo.

I mention RC to introduce a very simple "self-teaching" method. It is only one of many. You can do this Molly. Don't pull the rug from under your kids who do like the workbooks and structure. Do something different for yourself in how you "school" and for your ds. You don't have to start over, just re-do what is not working.

Every day is a do-over! Thank God.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Willa

While I was looking for the Robinson Curriculum article I mentioned above, I found another article by the same Australian homeschooler, Ruth Marshall, who was expecting her 11th child at the time of writing... anyway, she wrote an article called Homeschooling a Wide Age Range which reminded me of your dilemma, Molly, of having a bunch of children with different gifts and different ages.

What Linda says reminded me of that article, too.

I kind of agree there is no silver bullet (I keep looking for it, but it's not there).

Linda wrote:

Quote:
My point is, you are ahead of the game knowing and accepting you do not want to teach but you do want to homeschool. That road leads to self-education

I liked this -- for my own self-understanding. I realize that I gravitate towards Charlotte Mason, unschooling, and classical RC type homeschooling because these methods rely less on explicit teaching and more on providing, facilitating, guiding and supporting -- which come more easily to me. And these types of things are more likely to go on even if I'm "off duty" which I honestly am, some hours and days, even though I am not having babies at present.   I do not know if this is true of you, Molly, but perhaps it is a bit?

Anyway, perhaps it might be good when you're writing your goals, to try to envision the sort of homeschool that would be "good enough" -- to keep you going without utter exhaustion, and also to keep your kids learning. Again, that silver bullet -- sometimes it works to settle for bronze or silver, not gold or diamond, if you happen to be a perfectionist.   

I think it might have been Kim who said something about "baby steps" that really helped when I was going through a really stressed difficult time -- just do the little things, and they do add up.   Cheryl Lowe says: "Pace yourself. Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five."   I found that helpful, too; I see that my kids make progress even with all my mistakes and slow days.

Take Up and Read

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am absolutely looking for that "silver bullet". I admit it. There is always, always that thought in the back of my mind that there has to be a better, the best, way to educate these kids, have them educate themselves,love learning and stay motivated and content.

I have enough materials in this house to provide an education for every type of learner. I constantly buy things that "CM". The trouble is that I am not being honest with myself. My kids were happy with Language of God, but in my idealism I see Simply Grammar or First Language Lessons as being "better". They might be better, if I would consistently do it.

If anything has come out of this thread it is the acceptance of my desire to NOT teach. You have all been so supportive of that and helpful in your suggestions. Before now, that desire has made me feel like a failure. I can try for a few days to pull it off: gather my kiddies and teach them grammar and science and read books about Indians. But by day 4, I am burnt out, "off-duty" as Willa put it. Then they play for days, ask for videos or computer time, and bicker and argue. And for all my best intentions, I feel depressed and discouraged.

I quickly seized on the idea of Robinson as the "answer" because I wanted someone else to tell them what to do. But, Linda, you are right, just about any curriculum, except MODG in my opinion, can do that for them. For most of them, just setting up the structure of "work time" in the morning with ample books and resources available and my being available to them, should provide that freedom to become independent learners and to pursue those things of particular interest.

For my oldest (at home), like I said, I have plenty of books for her to choose from. I just need to help her plan her course of study. Fortunately, we are broke right now, so I have no choice but to make do! I am still considering sending back the Sonlight core, (really some of the American History books are twaddly), and maybe just ordering something like Kolbe for her so she has a structured program to follow.

I will admit that I am still so drawn to the more "romantic" ideas and programs out there. I was just looking over the Oak Meadow website again. But I just have to pray for better discernment. That's why I keep turning to you all.

I am definitely a perfectionist, a very frustrated perfectionist. I suffer from severe indecisiveness in just about every aspect of my life. Add in the responsibility of all these little people depending on me, or so I thought, for their education and I really panic.

This thread has been so revealing for me. Thank you all!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Molly, I have tried it all. I HATE to "teach". Now, I love to cuddle up and read all day, either by myself, or with the kids. I really enjoy discussing issues, and all subjects. I really really enjoy researching THE BEST homeschooling materials out there and buying wwwaaayyy too many of them, only for them to sit on a shelf.
I have used Sonlight. WIth and without the IG's. I have used CHC, MODG, Mater Amabilis, oh, som Oak Meadow too! and so on.
I freeze though when the pressure is on ME to teach aaallll the "stuff" that I end up with.
We are in our second year of Seton as a spine. for some reason, it is so "not me" that the pressure is off, if that makes sense? Like I am not attached to it per se so I do not set such high impossible standards.
The older 3 dc work in their Seton books on and off throughout the day. They are also VERY easy to throw a few in the car and do at a practice, in a waiting room, whatever. I have a friend who cared for horses, an ailing grandma, and worked part time while "carschooling" her kids using Seton.
Anyway, I've let go. I throw all the catalogs away. I try very hard to stay off of links, or new curriculm reviews when they come up.
We are reading at least 2 hrs a day, but dad, and the kids, (and I am coming around) really like the structure that finishing off some of the Seton workbooks provide.
long winded way to say- I would not blame you for sending the Sonlight back.
But if the books are working for you you might consider e baying the IG's- you could make quite a bit back that way.
We have saved all of our Sonlight 2,3,4,5, and 6 books. They are revisited often and well loved. The IG's sold easily.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Lisa,
There is a lot of wisdom in what you say. I have a friend who used Seton for all of her six kids. She didn't waiver. No conferences, no catalogs, no email lists to sway her. As much as I hate Seton, and I really do, I always envied her. You know, I never asked her if she "liked" Seton. It was just what she did and it was so simple.

Ds 16 used Seton for Kindergarten, 6th grade and 10th grade. Kindergarten we followed loosely and for the most part it was okay. 6th grade he liked the structure but I didn't feel like he really learned anything. He read for the test and that was it. 10th was a disaster, both the curriculum and the kid!

For me, it couldn't be Seton, but something similar might really, in the end, be the answer. I am glad you have found something that works.

Remembering Today

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

yes, I do feel like they are "reading for the test". Somehow, it, coupled with an academic co-op we are in and LOADS of reading on any subject under the sun, made (ds 14) say he felt prepared for school.
Joseph did not like the content much at first, but it grew on him in 8th grade and he DID like the structure, which I never provided enough of, according to him.
I did not go into Seton with the attitude of preparing him for Catholic High School, but I think all of the testing, and deadlines of enrollment made for a very smooth transition.
So ds, 6th grade asked to be enrolled this year. He loves the control of getting on the website, checking in and printing out what he wants to get working on. He likes entering his grades and the whole "school at home" thing- go figure!!?
then the 3 and K sons are just doing most of the books, but I can't see enrolling much before 6 or 7 grade.
Never in a million years did I think we would be "one of them".
whew! it is more freeing in ways I never dreamed of, and somehow we are reading more living literature and living the liturgical year so it is all good!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Molly, I have a friend like that who uses Kolbe. She just does it, and she works full time into the bargain (only has 3 kids though and none are littlies).   I admire that, but I can't do it that way!

Take Up and Read

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Dearest Molly,

I think many of us (myself included) look for the silver bullet. Through the years I figured out I was looking in the wrong place. The silver bullet is what works for the individual child. You can "not teach" and still continue what your dc enjoy. If Language of God is working- *do not change it*. What does it matter if x grammar gets high ratings if your dc cannot retain it?

I like to use Saxon as an example for a good solid math program. By many standards, it would rank in the top choices. My kids were not getting it. After hanging on to it much to long, we finally switched to something else. Now my kids *love* and understand math. I'm not exaterating. It was worth changing out one of the best for what worked for my kiddos.

I repeat, the silver bullet is in your child, not the "it" book/program of the century.

CHC and Robinson advocate the same to a certain extent: concentrate on the basics, everything else is gravy. If they have the basics done solid, they can teach themselves anything. I know, my kids do. We have only done the basics yet they seek what interests them outside of that all the time. They teach themselves.

Outside of teaching them how to read and write, I stand out of their way. You can too. I feel called to homeschool. I am completely disorganized (it's a wonder we have money in the bank ). *I AM* the indecive queen. My dh husband is king. Sorry you can't take that crown. Maybe next year. I love to look at catolgues. I admire women how know what they want.

They are just like you and I though. They go through the same struggles whether they are committed to a curriculum or not. It's just a horse with a different color.

Try RobinsonUsers4Christ yahoo group. You can post your orginal post and find many moms been there done than, much happier now. Try otrc4jc (Robinson Curriculum sister group) yahoo group to purchase a used copy.

Math, Reading (to themselves) and writing. I think all your kids would fall under copywork at this age with the exception of the older one. As I mention, CHC advocates the same. There is a Catholic Robinson yahoo group that I have found lots of good information on too. You can post How do I apply RC and intergrate Catholic books for example.

Molly, you can do this. You have been doing it, just keep tweeking it to fit what is best for yourself and your beautiful children. Remember, God would not call you to something and abandon you. He is with you and so are all these incredible women of prayer and support.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

teachingmyown wrote:
I am absolutely looking for that "silver bullet". I admit it. There is always, always that thought in the back of my mind that there has to be a better, the best, way to educate these kids, have them educate themselves,love learning and stay motivated and content.

If anyone has every child within their household educating themselves, loving learning, and staying motivated and content...please raise your hand so we can nominate you for sainthood.

And if anyone has found the silver bullet, please send Tonto to my house.

Very interesting thread...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Patty

Cay Gibson wrote:

If anyone has every child within their household educating themselves, loving learning, and staying motivated and content...please raise your hand so we can nominate you for sainthood.

Haha! I love this quote. However, that wouldn't be very sanctifying, would it, to have motivated, self-educating, perpetually happy children? But children who whine, dawdle, and bicker, now THAT'S sanctifying.

Keep on running the race!

Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Molly,

I just read through this whole thread. The quote Cay just cited sums it up for us types....and I think that would be the Melancholic temperament (if you are like me, and boy: we sound a LOT alike)....we want THE way. Are hearts are restless....we long for something more perfect. We are St. Augustines. We are frustrated and analyzing/pondering everything.   And aching for that Beauty, that Answer.

I don't think it DOES go away. I don't think you'll necessarily find "a cure" for it! I think perhaps we WILL be restless until we rest in Him, at the very end... until that total consummation, completion. (Ahhhhh-----doesn't it just sound wonderful thinking about it!!!?   I have to be careful not to long too much. )   Even when we are not pregnant, and the children are "raised" and homeschooling is "behind" us....

But seriously, on a practical note: once I heard about the Robinson Curriculum I really latched on to it as the ONLY way I could do this thing. I have tried everything and done everything, and it has come down to sheer numbers. I am not a good multi-tasker. I got to a point where the kids would HAVE to be self-teachers. I have always put things together, given them the daily list and the answer keys, and set them to a schedule, making time for an appointment with me to discuss whatever or read in the afternoon. But often, sadly, that even needed to be skipped.

This does not work for me in some of the most challenging foundational years. I would say until about 10, it really doesn't work. But I've always tried earlier! They just still need so much work done orally and interaction, especially with reading and handwriting. And those are some of the most frustrating times for me!   Argh....and yet some of the best years because of all of the great read-alouds and picture books.

But yup: I would say, they need to self-teach for the most part in a large family. And I stopped apologizing years ago for being so boring in my homeschool, not doing all of the cool hands-on and creative stuff. I just burn out so fast when things are teacher intensive.   Great books are my forte ( oh by the way, I also consider art Dover coloring books and Draw-Write-Now. I am NOT crafty!) and great discussions about Truth and God and the Meaning of Everything. And cooking. And babies.    That's about it. Science experiments? Forget it. (Oh the guilt!!!)

But ironically, even though I figured out a long time ago the way I had to do it, the issues for us are way more complicated than just academics. (Does it really matter, the curriculum, the method---? It's going to be unique and different for each of us, we have to find the blend, the way to use Robinson or CM or Eclectic or Unschooling or whatever or own way that jibes with us as the mother/teacher and with our particular family dynamics---that gets our kids learning. The thing is it HAS to be possible, it has to be low-stress, it has to be not that demanding for me. Bottom line is it does not end up being my "ideal" or what is probably "best" for the children according to many standards; it's what is possible for me.)   

But the reality is often the frustration is over other things about homeschooling besides the actual learning of lessons. There is feeling stuck in the house all day, isolated from others, getting on each other's nerves, having some anxiety around peers, social issues, Mom feeling like she is getting obsessive about the children and losing perspective, and then there is of course pregnancy and post-birth adjustments, sickness, special needs showing up in children that make you feel helpless (Should I get it evaluated? How do I know--? Where do I turn? It's all on ME, etc. etc.)

And there is, for us, the constant temptation to not stick to routine and schedule which I think has been the crux of the problem for us over the years. My children LONG for regularity and routine. They thrive under it. I really believe all children do....even if it's simple. They need to feel secure and motivated externally. The ebbs and flows of my reproductive and motherly life have made it such. And the other children. Health issues. So, all of these ups and downs have made for a kind of insecure, anxious environment that has much down time, idle time, not busy-enough-on-constructive-things time.   And then the pain and guilt of blaming ourselves because we are not providing that structure and routine for them that they can rely on. And yet: we are only functioning within what we can do---(especially for moms with frequent pregnancies or bad health)!

That's one thing I think outside the home-organized activities have as a benefit for us. I think it is very psychological. I see this in my children's moods. They want to be busy. They want to be set the example. It can sometimes put too much pressure on us to provide it all.

Don't discount all of the factors going on. It is academic and practical concerns, yes---but also spiritual and emotional and hormonal, things you may not have any control over. So changing your plans or throwing things around or out might not bring you a lot of relief. At least, for me. I have been there. I have gone the total *nothing* route. The "we are not doing school/we are coping and living and I hope you all are learning" route. And modified versions of that. It never made me feel better, in fact led sometimes to more anxiety.

It just is not an easy time. We have to keep the older kids as occupied and fruitful as possible (even if it is assigning a list of things to do themselves) and we have to still attend to the little ones. Good books, walks outside, basic 4 R's---workbooks if that is the least stressful and productive method. (I found Kumon to be that for me.) Baths. Naps. Meals. It is a LOT doing just that, and hard for me right now, too---I am so consoled by your sharing your similar plight! We are in this together!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

And if anyone has found the silver bullet, please send Tonto to my house.

Hey, and MINE TOO

Seriously, though. My 3rd (15) is struggling with being independent - because he's so social. Really, you veterans out there, how many of our social kids ENJOY at age 15 and 16 sitting in a room by themselves 5 days a week with an hour or maybe 2 with mom during the week?
This would have been pure torture for my husband who needs interaction and so do some of our kids.

I hear this over and over again about kids being so independent and granted my 2nd is that way to a point. BUT he doesn't do a full load academically that I would have done as a senior in high school. For example, he has not touched his foreign language this year.
I have also read the reactions via email and posts (and have several siblings in this catagory) about what these kids think of homeschooling after graduation who have been so independent by default.
They are very glad that they can figure things out themselves (especially in college)but they regret the loneliness, the lack of actual, physical support, etc.

Our kids will benefit from taking on their own education, but not all kids are ready for so much responsiblity.

Someone hit on it....Seton, again the kids are responsible to someone else. On-line classes- same thing.
But it still can be very isolating.

SO....

Realistically, I have had to lower my standards, what I really want the kids to accomplish and live with this.
I can't homeschooling any other way right now.
My 2nd will not get another year of language in. He just isn't "interested" enough. My 3rd is on his own with some subjects. I simply check them. But others (English and reading) I take a more active role.

But a program that works itself into our kid's brains doesn't exist. Where are the interactions that make
education alive? No computer program can do this.
To make this education happen, I have to reevaluate and temporarily (I hope) get rid of the extras and stick
to the basics. Then I can have some time for interaction, some read aloud, etc.....things that will
lighten the fire of education and make it "exciting" for the kids and doable for me.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version