Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Made in China Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Just when I was feeling so smug that we have no commercial toys here--no Dora, no Rescue Heroes, no Barbies, no worries, right? WRONG! I've just realized that all those lovely Melissa and Doug wooden toys and the LIghts, Camera, Interaction toys are all made in China.They haven't been recalled. Yet. At least I don't think so. But, I'll tell you what, I already re-thinking my Christmas list.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

AcK! I just checked the list yesterday of toys that were recalled. Amazingly enough we don't own any either. We do have quite a few Melissa and Doug items though...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Do either of you have a link to the recalled toys by any chance?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

That is funny that you say that Elizabeth because I had the same panic attack yesterday after the shipment of Melissa and Doug toys arrived.

Holly
Back to Top View hopalenik's Profile Search for other posts by hopalenik

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

This has been a mission of mine for a long time, to not buy Chinese. It is nearly impossible but I do my best. I was very upset when I bought my girls an Melissa and Doug easel last year online only to find that it was made in China. And the lack of quality shows.

Yesterday was my 4 yr old's birthday and I wanted to get her a little ride-on bike. Everything Toys R Us had was made in China. I left and went to Target and was ready to give up when I found the perfect little bike, a pink Barbie big wheel, made in America!! My perseverance paid off.

Everyone is very concerned now about the danger to our kids because of the recalls. But why does no one seem to care about the danger to our economy and our national security when we pump money into China? I don't get it.

I don't what I will do about Christmas either. I love to shop online, but I hate surprises like the Melissa and Doug toys. They used to be made in America. How do we know before we buy where things are made? JC Penney will list where things are but smaller companies do not.

My dream is to open an online "Made in the USA only" store for all sorts of things.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Most of my Montessori materials are made in China as well. Very hard to get around it these days.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Or, if not Made in the USA, hand-crafted by native peoples and sold through fair-trade agreement!!!! I'm seriously wanting to take a mission trip to Mexico or Costa Rica and Christmas shop in an artisan's market. Or try to find specialty sites on-line where the toys are hand-crafted by the vendor. I've checked my toy shelf here and nothing besides the Thomas scare, but I have no idea what Rescue Heroes are buried in the mud inthe backyard...I guess I can feel safe no one will be sucking on them if that's where they are anyway!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Julia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Julia

I'm concerned about this too. Rats.

And the Melissa and Doug website doesn't mention anything about this. Maybe a few emails might prompt some acknowledgement of the situation.   

I've had good luck with some of the more "Waldorfy" smaller companies.

Maukilo is one - some of their wooden toys are manufactured in Poland and Germany (they list country of origin on their website.)

And Rosie Hippo is another - not all toys list country of origin, but some do. They're a family based business and I'm sure they would answer any questions that you might have.

By the way, I have no affiliation with these companies. Aside from purchasing their products!

Julia
Back to Top View Julia's Profile Search for other posts by Julia

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Elizabeth,

I just had this exact same thought this morning....even the Melissa and Doug, Christmas, the whole thing! I am leaning towards more Waldorf kind of companies as well, especially with my little girl addition coming soon..a relative dropped off lots of baby "plastic" toys, and I am ready to send them back, and just get the quality stuff. If you want to see toys before you buy them, I have had some luck at local Fall Craft fairs at different churches, local artisans make little wooden toys etc, that is a small option.
Any other suggestions? I would love to hear about more "made in the US companies" out there...

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Here is a good post about this topic. I think there's one on Dawn's sidebar too - I must go clean chocolate off some toddler hands. No time to check now.

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

4 lads mom wrote:
..a relative dropped off lots of baby "plastic" toys, and I am ready to send them back, and just get the quality stuff.

A question--what do you do when your babies still chew on everything? Do you give them the "quality" toys, even if they're teething on everything in sight? My babies have mostly plastic toys for that reason, and I'm wondering what options I have...

J.Anne wrote:
Here is a good post about this topic.

I was going to link this exact same post--some good stuff!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. It was very helpful.

Colleen, I spent a lot of time last year looking at Fair Trade websites. Thanks for the reminder. I will look there and shop early. What a great thing to be supporting people striving for a better life, and knowing the money will actually go to them and not a communist government or greedy corporation.

This is a great discussion!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

OK - Toddler cleaned his own hands on the seat of my white glider cover .here is what Dawn linked to.

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

And I hate to rip off anyone's idea, but I cannot afford Ostheimer Toys- I mean we have to eat here. But I did make some of these figures one afternoon spent with my Dad and a scroll saw. We just outlined some birds on maple?(I don't remember) and cut them out. Finish however you want. That's what I've been thinking about for Christmas. A Little House set maybe...
And I salute anyone who has been concerned about this prior to now. I feel badly that this is only changing the way I shop when my own children are at risk.
Sorry for the sloppy posts - making dinner.
Editing to add: I used my own designs, just adapted the concept. I don't want anyone to think I blantantly copied these toys.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Ugh! Tell me this isn't so. Melissa and Doug is as "Montessori-y" as I can afford here. And my girls love their M & D items. And Chelsea just requested the Melissa & Doug Art Easel for her b-day in October.

Why China? Melissa and Doug are such American names.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Melissa and Doug used to be made here. It's all about profit. And by the way, the easel is not good quality. Keep looking. I have pieces of it on my desk as I type. My 15 month old disassembled it!

Remembering Today

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Another option. I love the "Madre and Bebé" doll.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Here's an interesting book: A Year Without "Made in China"

It tells the story of a family with two young children who tried to go a full year without buying anything made in China. Lots of food fort thought...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

J.Anne wrote:
Here is a good post about this topic. I think there's one on Dawn's sidebar too - I must go clean chocolate off some toddler hands. No time to check now.

This was a good post.

Way down at the end was the following:

"As you probably are aware, the vast majority of toys are made in China. Even most toys made in the U.S. and Europe have Chinese parts or components in them. While we do carry toys from China, we insist that the factories are owned and controlled fully by the U.S. or European manufacturer. We carry Melissa and Doug toys made in China and they own the factory and employ U.S. personnel in the factory to ensure that their high safety are met. We carry Haba products, some of which are now manufactured in China, and again, they own the factories and control every step of the process."

This was from an email the "Angry Chicken" got from Willow Tree Toys in regard to raw goods. In some ways it seems like good news in that some of our favorites (ie: Melissa & Doug) probably have more stringent standards.   But on the flip side, what about all the stuff you think is made somewhere else...even locally...may have components made in China.

Glad this discussion was started here...giving me lots to think about.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Okay, you got me searching and now I am obsessed with this fair trade toy storethat sells the soolest toys, which include the country or origin and what the toys are made of and painted with! My Christmas shopping has begun!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version