Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Made in China Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Coolest, not soolest, whatever that is...my brain is on extended hyperdrive!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

This is a topic that is very close to my heart. Besides the health risks inherent in products made where OSHA doesn't exist, there is the issue of worker exploitation...and then there is the whole forced abortion/sterilization thing.

My extended family and my friends think I'm nuts.

I think I'm doing the only thing I can. It's hard. It takes time. It takes research. I wondered today, for example, what I will do when all women's foundational garments are made in China (most are now). Perhaps I'll have to stock up, or perhaps I'll have to make my own.

Aquinas & More bookstore in Colorado has a no-China policy, so if you're looking for Catholic gift items, you can feel confident that their books and gifts are OK.

I buy a lot of Christmas gifts at craft shows, local shops, etc. It is very, very hard to find non-Chinese toys, especially for younger children. You can sometimes find non-Chinese toys at yard sales (e. g. older Legos). Christmas lights are a problem, but Michael's carried some lights made in other Asian countries last year...I stocked up on purple and white.

This is a very challenging lifestyle choice. I think it is easier to go totally vegan than to go non-Chinese. (Most vegan shoes are made in China.) You can never be sure that your American car isn't built from Chinese parts...but we do our best, here, and I hope that's good enough.

I look at every label. All the time. Even toothbrushes. Even fabric on the bolt. Even penny nails. Every time it gets hard, I think of the moms who are forced into sterilization, and it suddenly becomes easy. I have two children, and they never will. I can be sure that locally-made toys are safe, but Chinese moms cannot. They are stuck with whatever's available.

PM me for some sources for clothing...toys are really hard, sadly...

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

missionfamily wrote:
Okay, you got me searching and now I am obsessed with this fair trade toy storethat sells the soolest toys, which include the country or origin and what the toys are made of and painted with! My Christmas shopping has begun!

Oooh, yes. Waaay neat. So many great things..

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

afranciscan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote afranciscan

I am so glad this is being discussed! My twins who we just adopted in June came home with high lead levels so we can't afford to take any risks of exposing them further.

I was feeling proud too that all I had were a couple of Thomas trains mixed into the match box cars basket. But Melissa and Doug.....? Are you all getting rid of you M & D items or just not buying more?

http://tippettfamilynotes.blogspot.com/
Jennie Lou
Married my prince charming in 1993, ds 94, dd 97, dd 00, ds 02, twin ds from Liberia 03, dd 04, dd 08
Back to Top View afranciscan's Profile Search for other posts by afranciscan Visit afranciscan's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I found this blog post about the recall and some alternative toy companies were mentioned.

Lead Toys Fiasco

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Käthe Krüse, Steiff, Selecta, HABA products are made in Europe as far as I know.
I do have another german option to the Ostheimer wooden figures from the company SPIEL FORM. The figures are simpler and less expensive.

Last summer I was in the U.S. and was really shocked, that I could only find clothes Made in China! And I was shopping in major department stores, not just Target!
At Long Beach Harbor, there are thousands of Chinese containers piled up, that will never be filled with american products to be exported back to China. There is a great imbalance.
But, most of us are not willing to pay more for our toys, clothes....that's why we get Chinese!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I'm tired of buying all these things from China and have started looking for alternatives also. I did find a really great wooden toy nativity at Tuesday Morning that was made in England! They seem to have some unusual toy choices at times. Here are a couple of other websites I have found:

American Classics

Imagiplay

Still Made in the USA

Also, don't look in your bookcase. You would be shocked at the number of books being printed in China. I bought a used first edition of For The Children by Pope John Paul II and it was printed in China!

It is difficult, but I have to try harder. I can't stand sending any more of my money there.

Bethany

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Spielform

Spielform

I hope this works

click on 'Schnellsuche' at the bottom of the page to see the figures. Then scroll down.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

In case there are any K'nex fans here, one more reason to buy them -- they're made in the USA!!

Toys Made in the U.S.A. Share the Good News with Consumers

We use them for physics lessons around here. And for fun of course

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

For the last 6 or so years, our kids are getting a lot less for Christmas, but the things they get are paintakingly NOT from China. The girls have gotten the little doll house dolls from Magic Cabin. At $20 each, they are affordable, not from China and high-quality dolls that have lasted with extended play. Well, the hair doesn't always look perfect
When we shop, my 12 year old daughter nearly always asks, "Is this made in China?" They don't even want toys anymore if it is on the backs of poor workers and whose babies they are forced to abort.
If I do happen to have to buy something from China, I take the tag off. My kids would complain.
That said, we try our best, but it is suprisingly sick how much we own is from China and I don't even know it.
Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Quote:
Melissa and Doug used to be made here. It's all about profit.

Just a quick thought on "profit". After editing Bill's papers for the last 2 years in business school, I've begun to understand that "good" companies make choices which seem bad to us and their reason is profit. However, that's not always profit the way that we think, like making 2B instead of 1B. Often, companies are forced to go with cheaper labor and cheaper parts to be able to even stay in business. And they are businesses; they have obligations to their stock holders who often are more interested in the bottom line than what's happening to the people who work in their factories.

After reading those papers and watching the presentations, I've come to see that my role as a consumer is that much more important. Yes, businesses do what they do for profit, and it's up to me to show them what choices they need to make to be profitable. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we shouldn't judge them to harshly for doing what they do when we continue to buy the products.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Michigan has been paying in a big way (huge manufacturing job losses-not just auto, and as a result, now, huge foreclosure rates,) for the race to China the past few years.

Has anyone taken a glance at the back label of the spices you buy? I just noticed the other day, too many of the spices are now made in China. Same brand I have been using for years, and the ones I still had at home (a few rather old , but some newer ones, too,) still said made in USA. It must be a recent move. I bought no new spices. We'll either add fresh or not at all.

Is lego still a European make? Brio? (We had gone the way of Thomas, too, since the boys have loved Thomas the Tank Engine. Soooo disappointing!)

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

MrsKey
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote MrsKey

One reason a lot of spices are "made in China" is that they simply are not or cannot be grown in the US. Most spices come from the mid-east, far east or the "spice islands."

I think it is probable that these spices have always come from or through China but now with changes in labeling laws we're just realizing it.

A huge part of the reason, if we remember history, for the explorations of Marco Polo, Christopher Columbus et al were to find faster, easier, cheaper routes between the east and west for trade in spices and other things not able to be grown or made in Europe.

Which isn't to say that I don't believe that we should be striving to support fair trade businesses. But on the spice thing - I think we have to accept that most of our spices are (and always have been) grown elsewhere and imported.

Back to Top View MrsKey's Profile Search for other posts by MrsKey

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

The spices I had planned on buying, for ease rather than cutting and mincing myself, were garlic powder and onion powder.

I am wondering how the lead was initially detected, and should we be concerned with things bought a few years back, or are these a result from new plant location?

Also, what would you all think about eating ware, made in China? I was looking for some inexpensive substitutes for incorporating some of the lovely montessori ideas I have been reading and noting.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Rachel May wrote:
Quote:
Melissa and Doug used to be made here. It's all about profit.

Just a quick thought on "profit". After editing Bill's papers for the last 2 years in business school, I've begun to understand that "good" companies make choices which seem bad to us and their reason is profit. However, that's not always profit the way that we think, like making 2B instead of 1B. Often, companies are forced to go with cheaper labor and cheaper parts to be able to even stay in business. And they are businesses; they have obligations to their stock holders who often are more interested in the bottom line than what's happening to the people who work in their factories.

After reading those papers and watching the presentations, I've come to see that my role as a consumer is that much more important. Yes, businesses do what they do for profit, and it's up to me to show them what choices they need to make to be profitable. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we shouldn't judge them to harshly for doing what they do when we continue to buy the products.

Rachel,
I agree. It is difficult for many businesses. My fear is that nothing will really change even after this recall business. Too many Americans cannot look past their pocketbooks and when the smoke clears they will go back to buying cheap. It will really take a strong grassroots movement to change the thinking here and turn the tide.

Many thanks to everyone who has done the work to find alternatives!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

How about shoes for children that aren't made in China? I have yet to find ANY! (I hope I'm missing something obvious )

Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

cvbmom wrote:
How about shoes for children that aren't made in China? I have yet to find ANY! (I hope I'm missing something obvious )

Christine

New Balance has several US factories, so you may be able to find some kids' shoes made in the US in that brand. There are quite a few European brands available, too. Look on Zappos.com and they have an entire "European Styles" section for kids. They are really pricey, though, in the $70 and up range.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Here is a toy no one mentioned. Kapla are great wooden building toys. They are so simple but after two years the kids still come up with creative new ideas with them. They are made in France.

Another one I found through Still Made in the USA is Stack and Stick. Looks like another non-China winner!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

cvbmom wrote:
How about shoes for children that aren't made in China? I have yet to find ANY! (I hope I'm missing something obvious

Crocs! Made in Canada, which is why we forked out $29 for them, instead of the $5.99 for the Made in China knock-offs.
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Ten Thousand Villages also sells toys. We have a store here in town, and I'll be haeding there before anywhere else during our Christmas shopping weekend (dh's parents take the kids, so we get child-free holiday shopping as well as a mini-holiday )

http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version