Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St Christopher Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

What is the church's stand on St. Christopher? My mil says something about him being a defunct saint...I think this is kinda harsh and want to provide her with some accurate information...any insights? I KNOW I am missing something here and need to be steered in the right direction...

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Donna, I have an older book called Saints in Season by Austin Flannery, OP, that I have found to the explanations. This is an excerpt of an excerpt of Calendarium Romanum,, from 1969.

2. CRITICAL EXAMINATION OF THE DATA ON EACH SAINT

If the instructions given in the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy--that only the saints 'truly of universal importance' be retained in the calendar--were to be followed literally and rigidly, only a few saints would have been retained. This, it was felt, would have been going too far: it would have caused consternation and would have given offence. For this reason, another proceddure was chosen: many saints which had been included in the 1960 calendar were retained, but as optional memorials.

The science of hagiography helped considerably in passing historical judgments on individual saints. It made great strides forward in the nineteenth century, with considerable help from archeology, and mainly through the work of H. Delehaye and the Bollandists. Two publications bear the fruit of their labours: Commentarius perpetuus in Martyrologium hieronymianum (1931) and Martyrologium romanum scholiis historicis instructum (1940). Their conclusions are solidly based, though a number of problems remain unsolved. Later studies in hagiography, among which is the excellent Bibiliotheca Sanctorum of the Lateran University, publicised, completed and utilised their conclusions. The reform of the calendar was, necessarily, in large measure dependent on these studies. Present-day Christians rightly want their devotion to the saints to have a sound historical basis. A most careful historical investigation was made into the lives of the saints included in the 1960 calendar. The saints thus examined can be divided into the following categories:

a) Saints which present historical difficulties:
The following present major difficulties: St Paul, Hermit (15 Jan.), St Maurus (15 Jan.), St Martina (30 Jan.), St Domitilla (12 May), St Boniface of Tarsus (14 May), St Venantius (18 May), St Pudentiana (19 May), Ss Modestus and Crescentia (15 June), Ss John and Paul (26 June), St Alexius (17 July), Ss Symphorosa and her sons (18 July), St Margaret (20 July), St Christopher (25 July), St Susanna (11 Aug.), St Hippolytus (22 Aug.), the twelve holy brothers (1 Sept.), Ss Lucia and Geminianus (16 Sept.), Ss Eustace and companions (20 Sept.), St Thecla (23 Sept.), Ss Cyprian and Justina (26 Sept.), Ss Placid and companions (5 Oct.), Ss Tryphon, Bacchus and Apuleiu (8 Oct.), Ss Ursula and companions (21 Oct.), Ss Respicius and Nympha (10 Nov.), St Felix of Valois (20 Nov.), St Cecilia (22 Nov.), St Catherine (25 Nov.), St Bibiana (2 Dec.), St Barbara (4 Dec.).

While it cannot be stated that these saints did not exist, hagiographers are unable fully to explain the historical foundations of the devotion to them, as can easily be gleaned from an examination of the data concerning them collected in the aforementioned studies. Apart from St. Cecilia, the names of these saints are not listed in the new calendar...

I find it interesting that the Church recently has put St. Catherine of Alexandria BACK onto the calendar when more historical proof was revealed. So there's always hope that Christopher can make it back on the map.

I hope that helps some. There were so many headlines about St. Christopher and St. Barbara no longer being saints when this came out. My mil thinks the same thing. It's not that, it's just that there are historical difficulties, but it doesn't mean that they positively didn't exist.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Donna Marie,
And you are allowed to venerate/pray to them PRIVATELY, just not publicly. So, in family, etc., its fine to invoke them.

ck

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

In planning for July I thought I would bump this thread back up.

Do you celebrate St. Christopher on the 25th?

If so, how?
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version