Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Jan Brett-- Around the World Unit Study ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

Hi! I am not sure where to post this, so moderators, please move to the right spot...I didn't know if Rabbit Trails would be better ??

Anyway, I was thinking this morning about Jan Brett's new book...and I do have plans to write a unit study for it. It's set in Canada.

Then, I got to thinking about how many different places around the globe one could visit with her books. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Jan Brett 'Round the World Study?

Well, currently at Homeschool Share we have:

Ukraine- The Mitten
Ireland- St. Patrick's Day in the Morning
Costa Rica- The Umbrella
United States- Armadillo Rodeo
Germany- Berlioz the Bear
Arctic- The Wild Christmas Reindeer

Someons is working on
China- Daisy Comes Home

And I will write a unit for
Canada- The Three Snow Bears

So, that leaves
Africa- Honey, Honey Lion!
Does anyone have any ideas I could borrow to post at Homeschool Share for this title? It would be extremely helpful as I am trying to cut my online time down now that we have started school back up.

I just thought a Jan Brett World Tour Unit Study might be too much fun!    

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are welcome. :)
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Perhaps if you arranged it by CONTINENT, the you could mix and match with some Montessori style activities too.
Such as the toob animals for each continent etc.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

~Rachel~ wrote:
Perhaps if you arranged it by CONTINENT, the you could mix and match with some Montessori style activities too.
Such as the toob animals for each continent etc.

The only problem is that there isn't a book for South America (Umbrella is North America since it's set in Costa Rica) and there isn't a book for Australia.

Maybe I should email Jan Brett and tell her she needs to write a few more books!   

Would you arrange it by continent anyway?

Hmmmm....so much to think about!   
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Perhaps you could add in a couple of books by another author should parents want to do the continents then
Maybe if we all emailed Jan Brett...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Wow -- can't think of anything better Ami -- 'round the world does sound like tons of fun.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Thank you so much Ami!! When I read the title of your post, I thought that sounded like something great for my continent boxes. I already have Daily Comes Home, and the artwork in the book is beautiful!

Thanks so much for all the hard work you do in putting all of this together!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It is a great idea and I would leave it as countries. Those countries could be grouped into continents and people could do it that way for the continents that it covered if they wanted to. I would also leave it as a Jan Brett study (maybe suplimental reading by different authors but not bringing in differnet authors just to cover a different continent).

What about all the other Jan Brett stories that are in Scandanvian countries? Do you want to add those at some time?

There was a thread on Africa study - including Honey, Honey Lion. There many be ideas to gather from there. I'll put on my thinking cap for that one tonight.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

MaryM wrote:

What about all the other Jan Brett stories that are in Scandanvian countries? Do you want to add those at some time?

Hi Mary

Help me out, I'm not sure what titles you are talking about. I'm not as smart as you think!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2007 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ami* wrote:
MaryM wrote:

Hi Mary

Help me out, I'm not sure what titles you are talking about. I'm not as smart as you think!

Who's the Knocking on Christmas Eve? is specifically Norway.

The Trouble with Trolls and Christmas Trolls are Scandinavian though not sure of country - probably Norway again. Anyone know for sure?

Where is Annie and the Wild Animals set?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Just wanted to say that e-mailing Jan Brett may not be futile. She wrote the Umbrella because teachers were e-mailing her and asking her for another circle story like the mitten. Read her about letterhere!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote ami*

missionfamily wrote:
Just wanted to say that e-mailing Jan Brett may not be futile. She wrote the Umbrella because teachers were e-mailing her and asking her for another circle story like the mitten. Read her about letterhere!

Wow! I'm going to go meet her next month..maybe I should tell her she needs something for South America and Australia!   

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Land O' Cotton wrote:
I thought that sounded like something great for my continent boxes.

Just curious Vicki, what are your continent boxes?

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

HI Heidi,
I haven't seen Vicki around much lately, so I will answer that for you.
Continent boxes are an idea we brainstormed over on the Early Childhood (used to be Montessori) board. A few of us wanted some hands-on type cultural items to go along with our Montessori puzzle maps of the continents.So we made up boxes for each continent, and have been gathering items to put in them. Then as we study each continent, along with the puzzle maps, the children have some cultural items to explore.
Here is a link to my continent boxes so you can get an idea of what I mean. Others have done similar things and perhaps they will chime in with some links as well. Also, if you search the forum here for continent boxes, you should be able to find the long threads where we brainstormed them, with lots of ideas for what to put inside.
Hope this helps!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Theresa,
Thanks!
This is great.

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version