Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: book on saints/church year - any ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Hi, I am looking for a book that would go through the year, telling about the feasts and saints in order. We found a nicely illustrated book on saints at the local cathedral (anglican - the catholic one has nothing on saints!) and while the pictures are good (some are horrific and I won't let our son flick through on his own) the text is awful - written by a non-Christian and full of barbed asides and comments about repression of women etc. I am very interested in Mary Reed Newland's book "The Year and our Children" which I think is less about saints in detail, but we haven't been able to find that in the UK and the publishers said to me it would cost the same as the book to get it mailed!

Any ideas about titles I could look out for?
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lucy, Are you looking for Saints AND Feasts in chronological order? Are you looking for something that has illustrations for your son, or information for you to share with your son?

I have a few ideas, but want to make sure it's something that's particularly suited for your needs.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Jenn, I will take ANY recommendations. I have found that many of the books I read of online are not available in the UK or only at a very high cost as something to buy online and pay shipping internationally for - and while I would wait for surface mail, firms only want to use airmail.

I can make pretty much anything work. Really, I am wanting to bring alive the concept of the church year and the saints we love. Our son has really come on so much in his faith since we have "allowed" sacramentals in our home - he really loves the Blessed Virgin and St Thomas More so much now he can "see" them. The book we have now, he looks at the pictures I think won't give nightmares and I paraphrase the story.

I'll gladly take any input you can offer!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I have a list, and I can share some online sources that might be hard for you to find in print where you live. Just give me a day or two...I'm immersed in speech writing on this very subject. Maybe Monday I can post them to you.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Saints and Feast Days by the Sisters of Notre Dame of Chardon, Ohio is one. There's a short bio of the saint (sometimes just a paragraph or two, others several paragraphs) -- and then suggestions for activities. It also goes from September to August so it's wonderful for the school year.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Drat, just managed to delete a long reply!

Try Amy Welborn's 'Book of Saints' (Amazon £7) -- probably a bit wordy for your son if he's still quite little but you can paraphrase. Arranged thematically rather than chronologically.

Tomie de Paola's picture books eg Patrick, Francis, Our Lady of Guadaloupe. Also available on Amazon.

Also check out Cay Gibson's wonderful 'Catholic Mosaic' (forum on this board) -- you can even look at the booklist online to see what you might be able to get your hands on in the UK.

HTH!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Stef,
   The book you mentioned looks great! I just looked at it at Amazon.com. You can buy it used there, which I just did! I was looking for a resource just like this! Thanks!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Stef and Tracy -- the book, Saints and Feast Days does look great .... I'll have to get this one! We taught with ND Sisters of Chardon and they were wonderful!

THANKS for posting this one (altho my dh won't be happy! )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love this book. I'll complicate things to mention there are two versions. This is the first. It has more ideas for each feast, but the new version, the one Mary linked, is spiral bound, fatter, and has many more of the newer feast days, such as St. Faustina.

I use both, because I like the extra ideas of the first one.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Oh rats! I ordered the old one used, and didn't see the new one there. When I try to see INSIDE the newer one, they only show the inside of the older one.

I wonder if I should buy both???? Decisions....decisions.....

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am seeing if I can get hold of the books. We seem to have less good catholic books available here than in the US.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lucy,

Unfortunately there's no one-stop book that has the whole year and ideas for each day. Catholic Culture's Liturgical Year is probably the best online resource for that kind of idea.

I've uploaded my talk and handouts from Saturday's conference on my blog. Actually, here's the more direct route. The handout for Suggested Resources has a few online links to materials that might help you discern what fits your need.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I will add that The Catholic Home by Meredith Gould, Catholic Parent Book of Feasts and A Continual Feast might be the best for little highlights and chronological order for the year.

Joanna Bogle's Book of Feasts and Seasons can be found in Britain, as she's English, and this book really highlight English feasting.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I just had to say, YAY, JENN!!! You're a Wordpress gal now

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
I just had to say, YAY, JENN!!! You're a Wordpress gal now

Well, not quite. I haven't made the break completely. But I do like it much better, so it will happen. Probably when I have to go on bed rest.

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Lucy.
The Loyola Treasury of Saints is LOVELY (NOT Book of saints). There is a UK Version Lion Treasury. It really is the nicest saint book I've ever seen for kids!

It is done by Anglicans, I think. So they don't have the total doctrine with Mary. But it covers all time periods. And they do have some questionables at the end (Ceasar Chavez), but if you're reading it to your kids, there's no problem.

(I believe this is recommended on the Mater Amabilis website. Maybe its on Ambleside.)

hth
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CKwasniewski wrote:
Lucy.
The Loyola Treasury of Saints is LOVELY (NOT Book of saints). There is a UK Version Lion Treasury. It really is the nicest saint book I've ever seen for kids!

It is done by Anglicans, I think. So they don't have the total doctrine with Mary. But it covers all time periods. And they do have some questionables at the end (Ceasar Chavez), but if you're reading it to your kids, there's no problem.

(I believe this is recommended on the Mater Amabilis website. Maybe its on Ambleside.)

Mater Amabilis is a Catholic Charlotte Mason curriculum put together by MicheleQ and KathrynUK. This page I linked has the titles mentioned above. The red printing is usually the British alternatives, so you might poke around to get some ideas.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Lucy, the best resources I have found for Catholic books in the UK are ...

Family Publications
Southwell Books
Catholic Truth Society

Family Publications sell a wide range of Catholic publications for both adults and children, and are the UK partner of Ignatius Books (one of the major American Catholic publishers). Southwell Books is run by a traditional Catholic family. They have a growing range of books for children, and are trying to increase the number of Catholic homeschooling resources they stock. The Catholic Truth Society print and sell low cost Catholic books and pamphlets. They have just published some little prayer books for young children which look nice.

You could also check out the shop at the Slipper Chapel at Walsingham. I know I have bought children's books there in the past.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version