Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: ISO printables on a white background Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 29 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Mine is a heat laminator (Duck brand) and I didn't have any problem or see any change in the photos I laminated. But I did back them all with colored cardstock, so maybe that made a difference. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe some laminators (maybe industrial grade or something?) could get much hotter than mine. I don't know, but that sounds like a good science experiment!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mine does have different heat settings for different papers. Duh! I totally forgot about that.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Mine is not a heat laminator!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

SuzanneG wrote:
Meredith wrote:
[QUOTE=SuzanneG] Eleanor -
What does "ISO" mean?

ISO=In Search Of

Here I thought it was some TYPE of Montessori card or activitiy!    

And, I'm not even going to TELL you how long it took my to figure out what "KWIM" stood for!!!!

Don't feel bad, it's all the gray and rain ya'll have to deal with

Isn't there a list somewhere for these little abbreviated friends

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

I have to laugh at how this turned into a thread on laminators.    We're obsessed!

Lori, your nomenclature cards look great.    I'm such a tinkerer, though, if I get them from you (or someone else), I'll probably end up changing the fonts. My daughter has trouble with reversals (b/d, p/q), which I'm told is normal at her age. Unlike the manuscript ("ball and stick") fonts, the serif fonts tend to have slight differences between these letters, thus making them easier to read. I've been using a simple serif font -- Bookman Old Style -- for our homemade cards, and it seems to be working well.

On a bit of a tangent... I had planned to start my daughter with cursive, but didn't get the materials together in time, and she ended up learning her letters in the "ball and stick" style. I've just recently switched her over to the cursive sandpaper letters and movable alphabet, at age 3.5. I'm hoping this will be a smooth adjustment, as she hasn't started writing yet. Following the advice of Sam Blumenfeld in AlphaPhonics, I've explained that there's a difference between the type of writing that we do by hand ("cursive"), and the type of writing that we read in books ("printing"). I can't say she's thrilled about the change, but she seems to have accepted it. She actually uses the word "cursive" in a somewhat pejorative way, to mean anything that's weird or misshapen... "that's a funny tomato, it looks kind of cursive."

Anyway, I'm now on track to do "cursive first" with my son, and have a lot of questions about this approach, but here's the one that's relevant for this thread:

Do the schools that start the children with cursive, also use cursive for the card labels and other printed materials?
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

You're right, it does help kids with reversal issues if they can see a font that has marked differences between letters. I would like to offer my materials in a D'Nealian style and cursive, but haven't had the time to do that. It would be a ton of work!

In my experience, children do fine learning "ball and stick" first and then starting cursive...most 3-year olds I know wouldn't be ready for cursive, but if your daughter is, that's great.

I don't know of many schools that start kids with cursive, but if they do, my guess is that materials are a mixture of both. As you told your daughter, not all words look alike. Kids should be able to read lots of different fonts.

The schools I've been at started cursive in second grade, and at that point, the kids used the regular "ball and stick" materials but wrote their work in cursive if they desired. They generally developed beautiful handwriting. I also think it's nice for kids to have beautiful printing as well, since they'll be using that as well even into adulthood.
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Ooh laminator chat- I must jump in!
I have a heat laminator (Duck brand) and I have used it on photo paper and cardstock and it works great. I have a color inkjet printer, which prints photo quality very nicely. I usually use cardstock, preferably a glossy type, but for certain things I have used photo paper paper (like my toob animal matching cards which are just index print photos). I think the laminating makes the printed cards look much better- I'm not sure why that is.
As far as blackline printables, Karen Tyler sells some packs of blackline drawings for various nomenclature cards, she can probably email samples.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Hi Eleanor

Try the Learning Page - http://www.learningpage.com, and go to Clip Art section - it has a variety of clear clip art for various topics such as insects, ocean creatures, animals etc. Not a huge selection, but easy to find.

You will need to register, but it's free.

The other parts of the site are worth a look too - such as their fact sheets.

Jo
Mum of 4 (13 to 0)
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Oh and I have also found coloring pages on the internet- I just did a google image search for "parts of the crayfish" for example. Then I copy and paste and resize into a 3-part card template in Word. When I print I color the appropriate part in red.
I think learning page mentioned above may have been the site where I found the crayfish image.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I would love to do some of these on my own! I just really run into trouble with the resizing part, and it goes downhill from there...

Anyway, I was thinking of doing the same thing the other day since I have so much cardstock from scrapbooking. Theresa suggested to me about using a white gel pen or such to write the words on the grammar box cards. I thought it would be fun to have cards of things from things that are special to us.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Meredith wrote:
I print all my "photgragh" nomenclatures (like the Rocks) on HP Glossy PhotoPaper, also from Costco. They come out so nice and after being laminated they are so great! All of my cardstock printables like stuff from Lori's comes out super as well.

So, I'm wondering if I need to use Glossy PhotoPaper and that would make a difference? How do your picutres turn out if you simply print on regular paper?

In any case I'll try printing on this sort of paper, and see how it turns out. One of my neighbors should have some glossy photo paper. I gave them a bonfire, beer and marshmallows on Friday night, they owe me a piece of photopaper.    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

SuzanneG wrote:
One of my neighbors should have some glossy photo paper. I gave them a bonfire, beer and marshmallows on Friday night, they owe me a piece of photopaper.    

If I'd known that was all it would take, I would have driven the 11 hours for sure

Go for the Glossy Girl

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version