Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Father Oak Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Merciful Heavens!!!!    I had a comment on my blog this morning letting me know that I had written FATHER B-I-R-T-H (instead of BIRCH) in the title of my blog post!!!!!

I can't BELIEVE IT!    "Yes, I'd like you to meet my pastor, Father Birth....."    Sounds like some new-age-Shaaman-person

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

You have me in stitches, Suzanne! Merciful heavens, indeed!!!! I knew you were working on Father B-I-R-C-H so I just sailed right over that....

SuzanneG wrote:
"Yes, I'd like you to meet my pastor, Father Birth....."    Sounds like some new-age-Shaaman-person

Oi' ....you guys are killin' me!

Matilda wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

I was concerned that this might have sounded sacrilegious and I wanted to be sure to underscore that I have the utmost respect for the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter's, and for the great Sacrament of Holy Orders in general!   

I took no offense at all and understood your meaning but if someone did, you have certainly clarified your intentions beautifully so I doubt there would be any hard feelings.

I'm so glad you weren't offended, Charlotte!

No, no one said anything at all to me! It was my own conscious pricking me...I suppose the Holy Spirit wasn't very happy with my choice of wording and He was letting me know! I was glad I could clarify!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

SuzanneG wrote:
Merciful Heavens!!!!    I had a comment on my blog this morning letting me know that I had written FATHER B-I-R-T-H (instead of BIRCH) in the title of my blog post!!!!!

Suzanne,
I have looked at that post at least 20 times since you put it up and I never saw it. That is just too funny!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I did not notice it either. And I studied all your posts pretty carefully. We will be making a Father ???? over here has well. My dh tells me we have a jig saw and that I can make it . I go to the craft store next week. It could be a standing cross (thanks Charlotte), or perhaps a Fr. Dowling II. I am not in charge of the wood projects in this home!

But I am excited about making vestments. I am taking hints from all of you. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Ok, so before I picked up my needle and thread, I wanted to find some inspiration and you won't believe the rabbit trail that ensued from there which ultimately ended up at this page over at Domestic Church. They talk about liturgical colors and list the order of vesting that a priest goes through before Mass. Did you know that the stole goes under the chasuble? I didn't but now that I think about it, this is what they do at the Cistercian monastery we attend. Why did I not notice that?

So, for the time being, I'm just going to make chasubles for Fr. Dowling so that we can start using him right away and for his original purpose of representing liturgical colors in our home. Then I'll go back and work on an alb, a cincture, a maniple and some stoles.

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Wikipedia also has this:
Liturgical colours I didn't know that different rites had different colors.

Waltzing Matilda

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Matilda wrote:
Ok, so before I picked up my needle and thread, I wanted to find some inspiration and you won't believe the rabbit trail that ensued from there which ultimately ended up at this page over at Domestic Church. They talk about liturgical colors and list the order of vesting that a priest goes through before Mass. Did you know that the stole goes under the chasuble?

This is the SAME Rabbit Trail my mom and I went on when she was here last August and was making these.....you should've seen us....up until midnight on the internet, looking all this stuff up...and then relating all of it to Pete the next morning.....poor guy.....he was just trying to read the morning paper. It's kind of confusing because there seem to be changes / differences now.   

The priest from our Latin Mass gave a very detailed explanation of vesting, which seems quite different from the NO priests. There is symbolism in it ALL!!! IT's very beautiful.

We did the chasuble and stole on the outside, as that's what we see most weeks.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
Matilda wrote:
Ok, so before I picked up my needle and thread, I wanted to find some inspiration and you won't believe the rabbit trail that ensued from there which ultimately ended up at this page over at Domestic Church. They talk about liturgical colors and list the order of vesting that a priest goes through before Mass. Did you know that the stole goes under the chasuble?

This is the SAME Rabbit Trail my mom and I went on when she was here last August and was making these.....you should've seen us....up until midnight on the internet, looking all this stuff up...and then relating all of it to Pete the next morning.....poor guy.....he was just trying to read the morning paper. It's so confusing because there seems to be different now.   

The priest from our Latin Mass gave a very detailed explanation of vesting, which seems quite different from the NO priests. There is symbolism in it ALL!!! IT's very beautiful.

The symbolism is still there, Suzanne, I just think it isn't stressed as much. There are a few things that aren't used.

I haven't seen a stole outside of the chasuble in years...so at first I had to check to make sure I had the right terms. I guess I'm a bit insulated in the areas I live and visit.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

This is a great idea.
We will definitely participate in this project. But until I can find all the bits and pieces to put this together our DIY Fr may have to be,
Fr Card (board).      
God Bless
Chemai

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

SuzanneG wrote:

"Yes, I'd like you to meet my pastor, Father Birth....."    Sounds like some new-age-Shaaman-person

ROFL!!! Kids laughing too now, though they don't know about what!

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

Oh my goodness! I can't stop laughing! I'm actually crying and gave myself the hiccups just from imagining this "Shamaan Fr. Birth" and what he would say and act like. Sorry, I totally have to stop.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I just have to say that I'm just checking in on this thread, and y'all are so darlin'...your craftiness makes me smile, your humor makes me laugh, and your sweet apologies warm my heart...now, off to find a branch to send to the seminary/shed for formation...

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
Matilda wrote:

This is the SAME Rabbit Trail my mom and I went on when she was here last August and was making these.....you should've seen us....up until midnight on the internet, looking all this stuff up...and then relating all of it to Pete the next morning.....poor guy.....he was just trying to read the morning paper. It's kind of confusing because there seem to be changes / differences now.   

I thought I would clarify this a little, as I found a terrific quote about the stole going under the chasuble.

It's from Liturgical Question Box: Answers to Common Questions About the Modern Liturgy by Msgr. Peter Elliott.

Quote:
3-3 Stole Over the Chasuble?

It may seem a small point, but is it right to wear the stole over the chasuble?

The novel fashion of wearing the stole over the chasuble began in Central Europe not long after the Second Vatican Council. Several vestment houses specialized in designing stoles and chasubles along these lines. Although this fashion is steadily fading, the point needs to be made that there are clear instructions that the celebrant is to wear the stole under his chasuble (cf. General Instruction of the Roman Missal, no. 299, Ceremonial of Bishops, nos. 66, 126) (JENN NOTE: This is from the old General Instruction, from the 2003 it is no. 337, "337. The vestment proper to the priest celebrant at Mass and other sacred actions directly connected with Mass is, unless otherwise indicated, the chasuble, worn over the alb and stole.")

From a symbolic point of view, wearing the stole over the chasuble overemphasizes the stole and reduces the chasuble to a mere background vestment or a setting for an ornamental stole. This may explain why the chasuble was soon discarded in favor of an ample kind of alb, especially in the countries where this fashion prevailed. But here we have an interesting paradox. The stole symbolizes authority in sacramental ministry and preaching. As already noted, the chasuble signifies charity, the love of God that "covers all things" (Colossians 3:14). What should predominate in celebrating the Eucharist -- divine love or ecclesial authority?

From an aesthetic point of view, unless designed by experts who know how to avoid exaggerated proportions, the stole arranged over the chasuble does not look good. The "bulky" effect is particularly noticeable when such vestments are worn by shorter celebrants! Thus the chasuble was often discarded in favor of a tailored alb, because this is better suited to "set off" the stole. But then we have the same vestments, stole and alb, for celebrating all seven sacraments and no distinctive vestment for the eucharistic liturgy, the "summit and source" of sacramental life. The wisdom of the continuity of our tradition once more stands vindicated.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Jenn,
This thread at Catholic Answers indicates that in an older form of the GIRM (it doesn't say how much older) it was permitted to wear the stole over the chasuble but that in the current form it is not. I can imagine that could easily cause confusion!

When I imagined it in my mind's eye, I would have put the stole over the chasuble but since I have been made aware of it and have been taking notice of the vestments I have seen around here, they are all wearing under stoles, not over. I really hope to make full vestments someday for our Fr. Dowling to help the children learn their significance.

Waltzing Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:
Jenn,
This thread at Catholic Answers indicates that in an older form of the GIRM (it doesn't say how much older) it was permitted to wear the stole over the chasuble but that in the current form it is not. I can imagine that could easily cause confusion!

Ah, I see, it wasn't the original GIRM, but in the exceptions. None of my GIRMS that I've found have that exception, and one goes back to 1975.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Here is our version.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I just wanted to share some pictures of our chasubles. I made matching ones for the little cross which my youngest has claimed so that he can play a sort of matching game. Here is a link to my post. Picture below (crossing fingers, Mary M.):

Waltzing Matilda

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 03 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

(crossing fingers, Mary M)

The chasubles are lovely, Charlotte.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

They look so lovely, Charlotte!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I just wanted to add my friend Gae'sFather Pine pictures and chasubles to the list. I'm definitely inspired.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version