Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Father Oak Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2009 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Matilda ~ They are so cute!!!!!!! My kids said "Oh Look! A "Mommy-Chasuble" and a "Baby-Chasuble"!!!!   DH cringed, and said, "Welll......not exaaactly There's just something about "mommy" and "chasuble" that don't really **go together**

Thanks Jenn and Matilda for those links and explanations of the stole UNDER the chasuble. Like Matilda, I think I remembered the stole *over* from 10 years ago or so.....or have pictures of a priest (in alb with stole over) in our baptism pictures, where there was no chasuble, cuz it wasn't during Mass. So, in my mind I was "seeing" it over.....but now that I look around, some ARE putting it UNDER....and there are designs on the chasuble that I was mistaking for the design of the stole. But, I am occasionally seeing it OVER.

Quote:
But here we have an interesting paradox. The stole symbolizes authority in sacramental ministry and preaching. As already noted, the chasuble signifies charity, the love of God that "covers all things" (Colossians 3:14). What should predominate in celebrating the Eucharist -- divine love or ecclesial authority?

Stole = Authority
Chasuble = Charity

In that thread from Catholic Answers, that Matilda linked:
Quote:
I have read that it is entirely inappropriate because the stole represents authority and the chasuble mercy. Mercy should always cloak authority.

Separate questions:

***Are the "fiddleback" vestments that Ruth made.......those are called "chasubles" too, right? There isn't another name for them just because they are a different shape, correct?

***Do the N.O. priests wear/use the maniple? I see they are made to match the fiddleback vestments, and you can see it on the site that Ruth linked to. But, I think I've only seen them at the Latin Mass.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

SuzanneG wrote:

Separate questions:

***Are the "fiddleback" vestments that Ruth made.......those are called "chasubles" too, right? There isn't another name for them just because they are a different shape, correct?

***Do the N.O. priests wear/use the maniple? I see they are made to match the fiddleback vestments, and you can see it on the site that Ruth linked to. But, I think I've only seen them at the Latin Mass.

Yes, they are called chasubles also. There is the "gothic" style typically worn for the N.O. and the "Roman" style worn during the Latin Mass. At our parish one of our priests wears the Roman style chasubles and the maniple during the N.O.   

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ruth wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Separate questions:

"Roman" style worn during the Latin Mass.

This is what our priest wears for the Latin Mass, always the fiddleback style.    

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Charlotte~
You have TWO posts with Fr. Dowling, correct???? I just wanted to make sure all your posts were linked here......I thought there was a third????

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

missionfamily wrote:
now, off to find a branch to send to the seminary/shed for formation...

I just laughed hot chai tea out my nose.   

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Waverley wrote:
missionfamily wrote:

now, off to find a branch to send to the seminary/shed for formation...

I just laughed out chai tea out my nose.

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything or else I would have been in trouble too!

I have been following this great thread and been waiting for the opportunity at home to get going with this very meaningful craft. So today I started, here is part one of our Fr Pine..

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you so much for this Jennifer! Here is my Fr Pine.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote florasita

This is sounding loike so much fun . I would have to wait until after dd wedding is over into sept. more . I was thinking of cedar , willow annd spruce as trees we are familiar with . or juniper is a very nice wood too
our priests have very beautiful moosehide and beaded atire .I'm not sure which pieces are which but I know they were made for each of them individually and each are very unique . the beadwork can take sevral yrs to complete on some pieces so I know both priests must value these gifts very much .
   so I am thinking maybe to do a deerskin with beadwork perhaps ... for now I'm enjoying reading and looking at all your pics
Thank You Ladies & God Bless , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

aussieannie wrote:
Thank you so much for this Jennifer! Here is my Fr Pine.

Anne, Father Pine is just lovely!!! You've done such an amazing job on his vestments!!! And...I didn't know you don't sew!!!!! You're so creative...I guess I just assumed you did...but wow!!! You can do amazing things with glue and scissors, my friend!!!! This should inspire anyone who is intimidated by sewing to know that they can make lovely vestments! I'm so glad you shared!

I wanted to share that we're using our Father Oak to further enhance our year of the priest activities and prayers.

Our diocese supplied a list of priests in our diocese. As a way of asking the faithful to pray for the priests of the diocese, they assigned each priest to a week and published this in our diocesan paper. We laminated that and then printed up all their names and the week they are assigned to on cardstock. We tape the weekly priest's name to Father Oak who sits on our family feast day table. At the end of evening family prayers, the children take turns going up and offering St. Therese's prayer for priests for the priest of the week. It's been so wonderful so far to offer up our prayers and spiritually adopt one of our diocesan priests each week. Just wanted to mention this as an additional and very simple activity for Fathers Oak, Birch, Pine, Dowling...and any other wooden priest figures out there!

Additionally, I've found many wonderful ideas for the year of the priesthood on Anne and Chemai's blog, Spiritual Motherhood of Priests. Thank you, ladies!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank you ladies for inspiring me. I have finally joined the 'Priestly Fraternity of the Forest';) I've posted about our Father Meranti and included a round-up of all the 'priests' out there. Is there any I've missed?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin,
That is AMAZING!!!! I LOVE seeing how you repurposed a mug holder!!!!    You're very inventive and frugal!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Just a bump, dh's CNC router is fixed and I am hoping to convince him to make me a Fr. Oak! :) Thanks for this wonderful thread!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version