Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography - Continent boxes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Donna Marie wrote:

We have kinda unit studied around the world before like this and I made them a cute passport thingy and they got a stamp for it when we finished each country.

Donna Marie,

Or anyone who has done this, how did you go about making these passports? I've done a google search hoping to find something already done for me, alack to no avail

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I found a little fake passport in the scrapbooking embellishment section of Micheal's awhile back. It looked just like a real one, but a little smaller. I never did find the stamps, though, so I ended up not using it. I should pull that out again and see what I can do with it this year.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2008 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

How about this printable passport?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote Tina

I'm new to this thread, but I'm LOVING it! We haven't created any continent boxes (though we might yet ). But we are studying people of the world (social studies), Saints from each continent (religion) and the continents and oceans (geography). Don't you love how so many subjects can be covered in one main, interesting theme? I'm calling our studies We Are All Children of God because my main reason for wanting to teach this subject this year is to try to combat some of the hate in the secular world. My children are loving it, so far. We are taking advantage of the many picture books and other resources available, especially through libraries and online.

I haven't read all through these posts yet, but I'm working on it. I must say it is a treasure trove of wonderful ideas and links. You ladies rock! I will have to make some time very soon to sit down with a cup of tea and really enjoy, and even take notes on this thread.

I wanted to mention that I found this site which has a booklist for picture books from around the world. I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned.

And Kacky, that is a really cool passport! I think my girls would get a kick out of using it as a way to keep track of "where we've been". I'm just wondering what stamps or stickers you are all using. Could you make a block for each country/continent you "visit" and just put a star stamp or sticker underneath once you've been there? Anyone have other ideas for how to do this?

One more thing.... I found this Friendship Club Kids set and Global Village Papers along with these muliticultural crayons and colored pencils at Oriental Trading.

Sorry if I repeated any links or ideas. I'll catch up with this thread soon and then I'll be following it closely to see what other great stuff you all come up with!

Sorry for the long post .

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Tina wrote:

I wanted to mention that I found this site which has a booklist for picture books from around the world. I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned.

I hadn't seen that list, Tina! Thank you for linking!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Tina, thank you for sharing all your neat ideas! I enjoyed browsing your blog. These ideas will compliment our continent boxes and continent studies well. I love the hands on activities I'll have to use these with my son this year.

Thank you!!

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I have a list of around the world picture books on my website here. There is some overlap with the list Tina posted, but quite a lot of different books too.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow, thanks for all the great links and ideas, I just love this thread.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

Jennifer ~ you are quite welcome! If I remember correctly, Homeschool Share has some other things that might be useful in studying the continents. I'll have to check back there again.

Leslie~ Thank you for the kind words. I'm trying to keep our Continent Study updated on my blog, sort of as a way for me to hold myself accountable, but also to share and pass on ideas (my own and many others I've seen elsewhere), and as a scrapbook of our year. I used to scrapbook (the paper kind ), back when I had time . Blogs work well as online scrapbooks, don't ya think?

And Kathryn~ Thanks for your booklist! I've bookmarked it in preparation for my next book hold order from the library!

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

I hope it is ok for me to resurrect this old thread.

I just LOVE the ideas in this thread!! I am going to be putting together these boxes in gearing up for the Serendipity tour around the world.

I was curious, since this thread is pretty old, are there any updates? Any blog entries? Pictures? Things you've learned or found since trying out these continent boxes??

Thanks so much for all the FABULOUS ideas in this thread! I am SO excited to start mine!

Oh, one last question - speaking of budgets, did any of you just put one box together at a time - sort of "as needed" in your study? For instance, if I start with Africa, I can work first on that box b/c we'll need it first...

Or is there a good reason I should try and get them all done before our study starts??

thanks!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Do whatever works :) We put together a basic set for each continent, but the details weren't really filled in until we focused on each continent....

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Candace, we didn't use a box for our study of Africa, but I am planning on making one now as we tour through Europe. I had this idea: get a heavy duty cardboard box and decoupage the sides of it with images of important sites, saints, natural wonders, etc of the continent and the top with a map. So that's my hope, and we are going to make them one at a time as we study each continent. The only problem so far is finding just the right size box, but when I do, I'll buy seven of them!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Candace - We've loved our continent boxes! They are a lovely way to gather items that bring our thoughts to that continent and begin to build an image of a culture.

I'll tell you the groove we've sort of gotten into with it...

I started by providing boxes for all seven continents. I'm glad I did. Having a box available for a random picture or animal or coin is nice - it has a place to land. But, we really seem to focus on one, maybe two continents a year. So, I keep one continent box out at a time and we focus on that one. I spend very, very little acquiring treasures for our trip around the world in these little boxes - preferring instead to clip lovely pictures from magazines and catalogs and add them - you can dress the pictures up by backing them in cardstock and running them through your laminator. The set of toothpick flags for all the nations has been a nice addition. Small plastic animal sets can be found so inexpensively these days just about everywhere - mine came from thrift stores (the challenge is identifying some of them!!) Searching for coins is something fun and adds to the boxes. Recipe cards of common foods for the cultures on a particular continent is fun to add. I haven't yet done this, but I'd like to try to make a small dwelling that would be typical for a particular continent - something small that would fit in our box.

If I could do one thing differently, I'd buy (and I may still do this in the future) photo boxes - one each in seven different colors. That way, I could color coordinate card stock with the color of the continent box and it would be visually very organized. This would be helpful when your 8yo son likes to investigate all 7 continents...at once! It's a project I'm hoping to tackle sometime in the future - but I thought I'd mention it since you're starting from scratch. My boxes are beginning to feel smallish (except for Antarctica) and the photo boxes would accomodate small models better.

I think you'll have so much fun setting these up. They are a valuable addition to the geography center in my home!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Jennifer --- oh I looooooove the idea of color coordinating and starting off with 7 different colors!! Brilliant! So glad I can learn from your experience!

Jennifer, what size were your boxes that are too small?

I've never bought photo boxes before, from the way ya'll talk, it sounds like they are all the same size?

THANKS!! I'm super excited! (and am thrilled with a good reason to treasure hunt through the local thrift stores!!)

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Mackfam wrote:
   If I could do one thing differently, I'd buy (and I may still do this in the future) photo boxes - one each in seven different colors. That way, I could color coordinate card stock with the color of the continent box and it would be visually very organized. This would be helpful when your 8yo son likes to investigate all 7 continents...at once! It's a project I'm hoping to tackle sometime in the future - but I thought I'd mention it since you're starting from scratch. My boxes are beginning to feel smallish (except for Antarctica) and the photo boxes would accomodate small models better.

Jennifer, you have inspired me! My (very few) creative juices are flowing...We have been cutting out large maps of each continent in different colored poster board and taping them to a large, blue-painted wall; now I'm thinking I'll coordinate the boxes (maybe paint the top and top edges in the continent color, decoupage the rest, so there's a rim of color around the top of the box that matches the continent). Then I'll laminate the picture cards onto slightly large pieces of paper in the matching color so the children can sort the pictures, match them to the box, and match that to the map on the wall. Oh, I hope I have the time to do this!!!!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Candace--I am beginning to put my boxes together as well. I bought black photo boxes, because I like the uniform look of them, but Jenn's thought for organizing is a good one...I may have to come up with a way to code the items to the box they belong in.
My thought was to have all the boxes present and labeled so that things could be dropped in as they are found. I'll work to get the Africa one totally ready, but as I do, if I come across an Asian or Australian animal or item, I can plop it in the correct box.
I have a small end table that we use as a Montessori work desk in the learning room. It has a nice sized surface, a small wide drawer and a bottom shelf. My plan is to have the globe and working box on the surface of the table, the world map and appropriate continent map stored in the drawer, and a basket on the bottom shelf with work trays, pin punching and map tracing supplies, etc...
I'm so looking forward to this!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Colleen, I am VERY excited about starting this too. The very first moment I read the Serendipity thread on the World Tour I started getting excited. It just sounds delightful!!

Has anyone had any more ideas about the passports? The link Kacky posted earlier isn't working for me...

Did anyone actually follow through with the passports? Did you use the little Dover publication stickers or something else?

I like the passport idea and am still pondering on that and how it might work...

His Mercy Is New

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Here are my current continent boxes, Candace.

And, here is Africa's continent box next to a photo box so you can have an idea of the size difference.

Colleen, your idea sounds just as good...if not better. We're likely to find a lot of florals and pastels in the photo box section - but not seven different primary-ish colored boxes of the same size. However, we COULD all find seven boxes of white or black and then easily customize.

I love using contact brand laminating paper. Buying all seven boxes in a white or black would mean that I could choose the seven colors of cardstock and take one sheet to apply to the top - gluing images of animals, flora, fauna, and perhaps a black and white image of the continent onto the color choice for that continent and contact paper it to the top of the box. Applying the continent name to another piece of the colored cardstock on the front of the box completes it. Lid and box now have the color for identifying the pieces of color-coordinated cultural symbols within.

Excellent brainstorming, ladies! Thanks for resurrecting this thread...again, Candace! It's so full of great ideas, and adding continent boxes to the home has been such a decidedly fun project for us!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CandaceC wrote:

Did anyone actually follow through with the passports? Did you use the little Dover publication stickers or something else?

I like the passport idea and am still pondering on that and how it might work...

You can make little mini books with cardstock for the cover (matching your box - I'm getting giggly over how OCD this whole idea is for me! ) and paper on the inside. Fold in half, staple in the middle, add a label...voila...passport. Embelish with some photos you print from the web - such a treasure to be found online - to make them look "official" and then just gather stickers from everywhere! Michael's has some...Dover is good...I often get stickers from free offers for Highlights mag in the mail and they have neat ones. I like Michael's a lot cuz you can buy animals, plants, lots of things to add to the little books.

Also, we liked making little mini-books of the states when we worked on our N. America box. Trace the states from a wooden puzzle. We like using the inset paper from Montessori Services (a delicious addition to the learning room used for absolutely everything here! They make such neat little mini books!) Anyhoo, gather the states into a little mini booklet - staple them or purchase little book rings from a school supply store and add these to the continent boxes. The children added stickers of state birds, state flowers, etc. It was a fun project!

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks for the pics, Jennifer! That is very helpful! I will definitely look for the picture boxes as we get started.

You ladies are just the best! So many GRAND ideas!!

His Mercy Is New

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version