Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography - Continent boxes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CandaceC wrote:
Jennifer, thanks! I wasn't trying to ignore your library card/pocket idea! I did read that earlier...
I'm sorry, Candace, that does seem to be saying, "look at me!!!"

You can make your own library pockets so that they're larger in size and can accommodate larger collections. I've seen them available for purchase in the larger sizes as well.

Sewing card pockets is another idea if you're handy with the machine...and have time.    I had a post bookmarked at one time with a tutorial on sewing handy little pockets for Montessori three part cards...let me see if I can find it.

I can see how a day well spent with the sewing machine and some scrap material could yield all sorts of lovely little pockets and bags for the geography center.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I found it!

Reading Classification Card Duvets by Montessori By Hand. Her blog has now moved to Sew Liberated.

Looking forward to hear how others organize their smallish collections within the boxes!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Jennifer, oh don't feel badly! I figure there are so many posts in this thread that I need to be reminded of what is there b/c I can't remember it ALL! LOL!!

Those pockets from fabric are wonderful...unfortunately I'm not handy with the machine. I might could pull off the little bags...but not much more than that! LOL!

I am trying to figure out if I could somehow laminate a library pocket to help it withstand lots of use and little hands pulling things in and out. I can't wrap my mind around laminating paper and then making the pocket...with all the folds and such.

I'm excited b/c Monday afternoons are my "errand" day when my mom keeps the kids. I have my little list of items to hunt for...anything African, photo boxes, small books...oh the fun!! I'm hoping our thrift stores will be abounding with treats today!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mackfam wrote:
I found it!

Reading Classification Card Duvets by Montessori By Hand. Her blog has now moved to Sew Liberated.

Looking forward to hear how others organize their smallish collections within the boxes!

Sigh..I so wish someone would Etsy this...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

ok, this is super simple, but I just use a rubber band to keep cards of one type together. Not exactly crafty or creative, but...it works!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Hobby Lobby has their photo boxes 50% off right now...so I bought 7 of them at $2 each. (regularly $3.99) I had looked at walmart, big lots and on amazon...and that was the cheapest I had found them yet.

Big Lots has some cute travel stickers - passports, globe, plane, postcards, etc.

Big Lots also had Madeline goes to Paris for $3. My kids love the Madeline cartoon shows. I'll save this for when we're in Europe.

Just thought I'd share my finds.

Oh...I had the thought to cover just the LID of each photo box with scrap paper and modge podge. Pick out a piece of scrapbook paper that goes with that continent.

I was thinking some type of animal print for Africa. Jungle/rainforest looking page for South America. Flags/red/white/blue for North America, kangaroos or outback type page for Australia...still thinking on the rest.

Do you think that might work? It would be a fun project for me...if it ended up looking cute and worked out in the end.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

CandaceC wrote:
I had the thought to cover just the LID of each photo box with scrap paper and modge podge. Pick out a piece of scrapbook paper that goes with that continent.

I did something similar w/the one box I created, except I used colored tissue paper (it's what I had on hand) and scrapbooking stickers. I made a red box for Europe so it coordinates w/the continent colors.

I plan to do this for the other continents...just have to spring for the boxes. I may need to hit Hobby Lobby soon!

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I was at Target and the Dollar Tree store today and thought of you, ladies.    I found some flash cards for $1 at the Dollar section in Target:

Animals of the World (colored drawings)
U.S.Animals (colored drawings)
Insects and Small Critters (Photographs)
World Landmarks (Photographs)

I thought that these could work for the continent boxes. There were also flash cards for the U.S. Presidents, the 50 States and space.

The Dollar Tree had 25 assorted Library Pockets for, you guessed it, a dollar.

Oh, another thing that I saw in my travels recently are $2 photo boxes at The Christmas Tree Shop.   

HTH,

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 8
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version