Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography - Continent boxes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote marianne

Hey, I had an idea for our "continent boxes" (as in, the ones that I'm PLANNING). We were at a children's zoo and they had an insect pavilion and the kids got to hold all kinds of nasty creatures like the hissing cockroach and a Giant African Millipede. I took a bunch of pictures, and I made mental notes about where those animals came from, so I could slip those photos into the corresponding box. You could also just take pictures of the other bigger animals at the zoo (with kids in the foreground) and use those.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alison and Marianne, I love both your ideas!! Postcards are a natural and the zoo animal idea is fantastic!! They actually held the hissing Cockroach What a memeory that will be for them and an inspiration to learn more because they were *there* and now in the photos!!
Bravo!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

While looking for crafts from around the world for our boxes, I found this website that has lots of links for different countries/continents. I hope this might be helpful to someone.

http://emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00001610.shtml
Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I found some various sellers on ebay that have some great items that fit into these boxes. I ordered foreign coins and that ebay store also sells banknotes. I did purchase banknotes, but not from that seller, but from here. I also got various postcards from one seller, but they didn't have a store front and finally some stamps from here. I think all three stores have a lot of buyitnow opportunities with pretty cheap shipping.

Only the stamps have come in so far...so I'm looking forward to the rest soon!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Oh, how fun, Kacky! I'm definitely going to look into those links. Thanks!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Vicki, thanks for the new link!! Looks interesting!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Ok here is a question regarding foreign coins...

Do you know of a resource that would help us identify where they came from...online or otherwise?

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

If anyone wants my kids to send their kids a postcard from Alaska for their continent boxes,let me know. I have about 10 or so. PM me with your address and your children's names.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I do, I do! I'll send you a PM right now!

Thanks so much, Theresa!

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Do you all have 10,000 Villages stores near you? I'm planning on visiting ours tomorrow and I'm planning on coming away with some cool items for our boxes. The trick is going to be finding small items that aren't too expensive. I love that store!

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I emailed and asked the man who I'm getting the foreign coins from what would be a good identification resource...he said a book from the library. Not very specific    I did a google search and came up with a couple of good looking places...but I haven't checked them all out, so I don't have their links. I'm hoping this can be something my older kiddos can work on!

HTH

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote marianne

Another find! I found a deck of playing cards with the theme "Animals of the World" and the cards have little blurbs about where the animal is from and its habitat. It's just a substitute, but at $4.95, much cheaper than some of those M cards.

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but what about little flags from different countries? My kids love flags- I get the "4 x 6" stick flags from www.flagline.com for $2.25 each.
And speaking of flags, I was just reading in my geography manual a cool activity where the kids listen to various national anthems and have to walk on the line carrying the correct flag to match the anthem that is playing. I have no idea where you could get a cd of national anthems- but I bet it is possible with the internet and cd burning technology.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

ambermelody
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 30 2007 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote ambermelody

I have my boxes. Yippee!

I found some really nice ones on sale for A$3.50 each. They're fabric covered, a linen I guess, & have the index cards inside. They only had black & pink left so I went for black though I would have loved white (I'm still going through a shabby chic phase!)

Can't wait to start working on them... lots of wonderful ideas here.

I am currently trying to work out all my storage. Eeeek! I'm hoping to buy a set of square bookcases (pigeon hole style, KWIM) to cover a wall one end of the current playroom. I want to do it all now. Must learn patience!

Amber
Back to Top View ambermelody's Profile Search for other posts by ambermelody

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

AndreaG wrote:
I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but what about little flags from different countries?   
And speaking of flags, I was just reading in my geography manual a cool activity where the kids listen to various national anthems and have to walk on the line carrying the correct flag to match the anthem that is playing. I have no idea where you could get a cd of national anthems- but I bet it is possible with the internet and cd burning technology.

I love this idea, Andrea! When we were in Branson, MO last year we visited a flag shop that had just these kind of flags. I bought a few to go along with our Five in a Row books, but I'd love to go back there and look through all of them again!

I also love the idea about making a CD of the national anthems too! And my little one would love the part about matching the flag to the music. Won't the Olympics start next year?   I think that would be a great reinforcement of the lessons.   The sad thing for me is that I have to have help from my kids in college to help me burn a CD, as I'm just too "techy gizmo" challenged!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Love the marching to the anthems!! Could this work with small laminated flags as well do you think??

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote marianne

Land O' Cotton wrote:
AndreaG wrote:
I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but what about little flags from different countries?   

I love this idea, Andrea! When we were in Branson, MO last year we visited a flag shop that had just these kind of flags. I bought a few to go along with our Five in a Row books, but I'd love to go back there and look through all of them again!

I also love the idea about making a CD of the national anthems too! And my little one would love the part about matching the flag to the music. Won't the Olympics start next year?   I think that would be a great reinforcement of the lessons.   The sad thing for me is that I have to have help from my kids in college to help me burn a CD, as I'm just too "techy gizmo" challenged!

I wonder if you could do something with a sticker flag book - put the stickers on cardboard and use a toothpick?

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

I found some national anthems on, believe it or not, the White House web site.

United States
Australia
Canada
Egypt
United Kingdom
France
Germany
India
Italy
Kenya
Mexico
Pakistan
Philippines
Poland
Russia
Spain
Turkey

And, saving the best for last, Vatican City, with a photo of JP the Great.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Ambermelody, where did you find your linen covered boxes? What size are they? I'm having a hard time finding boxes that will all fit in the bottom of the geography cabinet!    I've seen linen covered and really like them. Maybe I could pick some up around here, if they're the right size!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Oh, Celeste that list of anthems is wonderful!! Thank you!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version