Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography - Continent boxes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Theresa, I think I have another set of the "See How it's Made" books. I know I have the Rice, Palm Oil, and Chocolate books. I bought lots of them since they were only 20 cents, thinking somebody could use them too!

If you would like me to send them to you, just e-mail me, or send me a message. I have benefited so much from all you have shared with your work on the landmark pictures. Surely I can do something in return.

Vicki
Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

How sweet of you! Thank you, I'd LOVE them! I'm PMing you right now!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Have any of you see these City Country World Photo MatchCards? They look like they might be fun. What do you think? Worth the $?

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OOH, Marjorie, how could I have missed these ones, I love them and look at that price!! Woohoo! I just needed one more excuse to place an order with M-n-S! Thanks for sharing these, I'm sure I won't be the only one excited about them!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

I know these maps don't fit in a box, but they are very inexpensive and are perfect for adding details as you discover them. I won their map calendar as a door prize in 2005 and I am thinking about placing an order for several continents. Map of the Month - Continents and Countries

Lettres de mon Moulin

earthmaven
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote earthmaven

Wow, Marjorie, those maps are really great--I've already signed up and created a wish list! Can you tell me the dimensions of the continents and countries maps? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks!

Tracy
Back to Top View earthmaven's Profile Search for other posts by earthmaven

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Oooh, I love those maps and the match cards! I'd like to know the dimensions of the maps too, please.

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

I think they are about 19 in x 15.5 in. Nice and big for details.
Oh, I just found this on their site "Maps for the Classroom maps are printed on big, durable white paper and sized for a desktop —16 inches x 20 inches — which gives your students plenty of room to outline and label the maps."

Lettres de mon Moulin

earthmaven
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote earthmaven

Fabulous, thanks so much for checking, Marjorie. I'm really excited about getting these. My daughters are going to love them.

What a great day. A link to cheap maps online, and a great score at our local thrift store: 20 wonderful books and a bag full of National Geographics for $12.00. If I hadn't been taking the train with the children, who knows when I'd have stopped?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Marjorie, these are too cool! I LOVE the price too, thank you so much!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 14 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This can't be put in a box, but at the Montessori By Hand Blog there are files you can download of music from around the world: here

These could kind of set the mood while looking at the boxes (check pages three and four for the files).

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I know! I've seen those! They are so awesome aren't they! I do see much potential there. I need to see if I can download her MP3's onto a CD, then I could put it in the box, and the kids could set the mood on their own.   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

earthmaven
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote earthmaven

Hi ladies,

I can't remember how I linked to this wonderful blog (maybe through Meg at Montessori by Hand?), but I wanted to take a moment to share it with you. Honestly, it just makes me want to make a cup of tea and peruse the beauty of her work for hours. I wish she lived next door!

In a recent post, Leah showed some decoupage work she'd done with a collection of stamps she's acquired from all over the world. She made an incredibly kind offer on her site to send stamps to any of her readers who would like some. A number of us PayPal-ed her (has this become an official verb yet?)to cover postage. She sent me a huge envelope chock full of gorgeous stamps...which naturally made me think of you and all of our continent boxes...you see where I'm going with this, right? I figured I'd decoupage our continent boxes with some, then ask the girls to sort others by country, subject matter, price...my husband thought they were just amazing and that many should be put in small albums.

So for those of you who might be interested, check out Leah's blog at http://kneek.wordpress.com/2007/06/29/fruity-boxes-and-stamp -swap/#comments

Enjoy!

Tracy

Kristee
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 16 2007 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote Kristee

I responded to this comment from earlier, "...We can never start young enough to foster not only an appreciation for the "neat stuff" of each of these countries or cultures, but to really begin to develop an understanding of their cultural values and behaviours...

Getting to those underlying values and beliefs, beginning to understand the ways in which they have an impact upon our outward behaviours and our environment fits in so perfectly with the Montessori concepts of global understanding and peace education..."

[/QUOTE]

Hi,
The above made me think of storytelling; folk tales, fairy tales, etc., from other cultures. These seem rich in preserving cultural values. I also think it is interesting to see what stories are read to children in other coutries. What about choosing one story to tape record, or make copies and make into a small book. Or read one, and have the child draw a picture of that story to put into the box, to remind them of the story. Or see if you can find a story that gives you an idea of an object that you could put in the box?

I'll mention two books that I found at a library sale.
1. Chinese Fairy Tales, 1969 by Artia, The Hamlyn publishing Group.
2. The Cow-Tail Switch and other West African Stories, by Harold Courlander, George Herzog. 1947 Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
(ie. there is a nice story about a "Hungry Spider and the Turtle" that teaches a moral about manners and hospitality-how you act when visiting)

I'm sure that libraries would have other similar. I also have a book (I haven't gotten through yet) called Hamlet's Mill that as I recall discusses the roots of knowlege contained in Myths from around the world, and how many of them contain similar stories told differently, ie. the story of Adam and Eve if I'm remember correctly, and others.

A different idea might be to select pictures of paintings or sculptures of various cultures from different time periods or even modern ones. Often those will have a narrative based on cultural beliefs and values. By itself, it is interesting to compare art styles from different cultures. How the design, shapes and patterns convey ideas/meaning in Native Indian Art, Islamic Art, and African Art compared to more Western styles. Can we discern how Western art is influenced by other countries? Picasso was influenced by African Masks at one point for example. A painting of a bull fight in Spain, by Picasso, or a picture of a painting by Vermeer of a maid pouring milk. Often a landscape or cityscape might have a perspective on the look and feel of a place from the particular ARTISTS perspective.

Art can be seen as reflection or a comment about culture on probably several levels. It would be interesting to find some contemporary artists to just see the similarities and differences of what is important to people, or what they're concerns are.

This may be questionable for some? but What cultural beliefs are conveyed through outward symbols on the body.   I once heard an interesting student presentation on "Tattos" and the origionation in Island cultures, and how the west may have been influenced by it, but lost or changed the cultural and sacred meaning of the practice. How does the meaning change as a practice shifts cultures? Why it is important to think about cultural meanings before just adopting traditions?
Kristee

Back to Top View Kristee's Profile Search for other posts by Kristee

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Kristee wrote:
This may be questionable for some? but What cultural beliefs are conveyed through outward symbols on the body.   I once heard an interesting student presentation on "Tattos" and the origionation in Island cultures, and how the west may have been influenced by it, but lost or changed the cultural and sacred meaning of the practice. How does the meaning change as a practice shifts cultures? Why it is important to think about cultural meanings before just adopting traditions?
Kristee

Wow! Hadn't thought of that...

Kristee, do you have any suggestions as far as a resource for explaining cultural meanings of traditions? I've always wanted to know why some cultures of African women wear so many necklaces so tightly around their necks.

I know my little ones are too little to grasp it yet, but I'd like to know (and then maybe teach it when the little ones get older).

Sounds like something DK would publish...

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I found this link this morning, and hoped it might be something to use for these boxes.

http://pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/lesson/world/pdf/C onnections_and_Resources.pdf

I think I may also set up a corner with books that tell stories from different countries. I have the Swahili Alphabet, Jambo! Means Hello, and lots of others.

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Thanks Vicky. That's a great link. My dd loves Arthur, so we will definitely be using this resource pack.

Jo
Mum of 4dc (13 to 0)
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We love Jambo, Means Hello, I love the idea of having a book basket near the geography center for the kiddos to dip into whenenver they want!! Thanks for sharing!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yes, I was thinking of having a picture book as sort of a "kick-off" as we begin our study of each continent. I was thinking of:
Asia-Grass Sandals
Africa-Why Mosquitos Buzz in Peoples Ears
Australia-My Grandma Lives in Gooligulch
North America-Johnny Appleseed
South America-The Umbrella
Europe-have not decided yet.

I also want to read Cinderella tales from around the world for her to compare.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Alison

We belong to a couple of postcard swap groups. Never knew what to do with the postcards after they've been on the bulletin board. Also don't you think "Flat Stanley" projects would fit in these boxes well

blessings

Alison
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version