Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2007 at 4:02am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Dd 2 celebrates her Name Day in 2 weeks on the July 16.
I have yet to find a nice book or activity for her Feast day.
Maria Carmela is almost 8 yrs old, so it must be a childrens book...
Maybe one of you ladies can help me out here.
I have found a few pictures to download...I need help!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Do you have the Windeatt coloring book about the brown scapular?

You can find it here
and other places.

I picked up a bunch of these coloring books at a homeschool fair - they are so nice - I might just color them myself and read them as a picture books to my boys!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have wracked my brain on this. I searched the old threads but it's really hard to find children's books on Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Donna's suggestion was the only one I could find....even in all my old out of print books. I do have an older color pamphlet on the Brown Scapular that I'll post info if I can find it. Also, if you can find a short saint bio on St. Simon Stock in saints books might be another approach.

The story of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is not just linked to one person/date/apparition. This is the most unique devotion because it started before Christ, with Elijah the prophet. Later the scapular was given to St. Simon Stock in an apparition.

Domestic Church

Catholic Culture

Women for Faith and Family

University of Dayton info

Sign of Her Heart by John M. Haffert is written for adults, but it's the story of the scapular. Chapter One gives the long story...and you can read much of it online at Amazon.

This was an interesting thread that included some Mount Carmel celebrations Festivals

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Donna and Jenn, thanks so much for your suggestions.

I did find the thread on Festivals and have gotten some help from that. I will look through your links and let you know if I come up with any new ideas!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Another approach may be to look up Garabandal apparitions. Our Ladys title there is Our Lady Carmel de Garabandal.

Just a thought! More recent and possibly more current info. I know it is not a book, but thought I would throw it out there for you.

BTW......what a beautiful name your dd has
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chicken lady wrote:
Another approach may be to look up Garabandal apparitions. Our Ladys title there is Our Lady Carmel de Garabandal.

Use caution. Garabandal is still "under investigation" and the instructions were to not disseminate publicly until approval.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2007 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chicken lady wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Use caution. Garabandal is still "under investigation" and the instructions were to not disseminate publicly until approval.

What instructions?????????   And I think what I am trying to do here is link to another source of an "approved" title. That is all, just trying to be helpful!

BTW...... MOST renown Mariologist realize that this has been given alot of bad press.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but Garabandal has not been given full approval, as you can see by this list.

I wouldn't call it bad press. Every apparition needs to be tested, and time is one way. Look how long it took for Padre Pio to be canonized.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 04 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Molly, You're right that the bishops lifted the ban on Garabandal, and I'm sorry for my misinformation.

I know that you know the difference between official feasts, titles and devotions, and approved apparitions and those apparitions still in the process of approval. I just wanted to clarify the difference for others who might not.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

No problem Jenn, you are always a wealth of information for so many on the boards.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Jenn, thanks for some of the info and links. The feast is my daughter's birthday (turning 7). We even changed her name at the last minute (as in, 1 hour after she was born) because we knew we had to honor Our Lady in some way. So Elena Cristina became Carmen Elena.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version