Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Running List of ABSOLUTE favorites Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MaryM and Maria B and I are going to revise the
Real Learning Booklist. We've got some good ideas to make the list more user-friendly. However, I'm literally staying awake nights worrying that I'm going to leave out something Very Important (actually, I'm staying awake night with a sick baby but I'm thinking about the booklist while I rock). So, tell me your very favorite picture book and something about it that might help me categorize it. You only get one each. This list has the potential to be longer than the book itself .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Oh Elizabeth! Just ONE? I have TWO!

Well, I am going to plug my absolute favorite that failed the Catholic Mosaic test, but might pass the Real Learning test. Bagels from Benny is about a little boy whose heart is so overflowing with gratitude that he tries to thank God in a very tangible way. God uses the gifts of the thankful child to answer the prayers of another, and everyone is blessed. This book is captivating without being too preachy, and I think it puts our responsibility into perspective. It is our job to love the Lord, both emotionally and practically, and His job to turn our expressions of love into blessings for others. We are not repsonsible for healing the pain of this world, but we can be a part of God's plan to touch the lives of those who hurt.

Love love love this book.

Anyone want to plug By the Light of the Captured Moon since I've used up my ONE recommendation?

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

You already know about this one, but if I could own only one picture book, it would be The Miracle of Saint Nicholas.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I recently read this so its fresh in my mind. When I read it I thought about reminding the children about all the things we have in this country that we take for granted. This is a great book for spring because of the bulbs. The Dutch in this book are so happy to receive simple gifts and SHARE!

Boxes for Katje

There are SO MANY great books, though, huh?

edit post:

Suggested grade K-3, although my older ones love it. WWII, American Children part of a relief organization send items to a Dutch girl who in turn shares everything with her family and friends. The story builds as the American children send more and more and in turn the Dutch give them a surprise gift of lovely bulbs.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 30 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote helene

The Quilt Story by Tony Johnston, illustrated by TdeP. Early American history.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I don't think I have a hands down favorite, but I am going to suggest Paul Revere's Ride illustrated by Ted Rand. I didn't see it on the old booklist, and it is a genre I love, illustrated poems.

Without the pictures, I know that none of my kids would have understood this Longfellow poem for a long time. But this illustrated version has been read, reread, discussed, and enjoyed by Bill and me and all the kids (James finds it quite tasty). Anthony used it to memorize the poem this school year which made us consider the emotion and drama of that night. I would never have lingered over the line "And one was safe and asleep in his bed, who at the bridge would be first to fall..." and spent quiet nighttime moments watching Bill if it weren't for this book.   

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Our favorite bedtime book is "Sleepy Book" by Charlotte Zolotow, illustrated by Stefano Vitale. The artwork is gorgeous and the poetry paints living pictures of how various animals go to sleep in the wild, leading up to the sweet ending of how little boys and girls go to bed.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde and S. Saelig Gallagher brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it to my kids. It tells of a giant who walls off his garden to the town's children, only to open it (and his heart) later to a special Boy. As one Dad said in a review on Amazon, I too had a hard time finishing the story when I realized who the Child was. My kids were moved by it, too, especially the vivid pictures.

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Oh, and I haven't decided which picture book yet. A nice virus came on summer vacation here and we've been good hosts...everyone seems ready to let him go except me...but I'll be back

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I don't know if these are what you are looking for, but they are our family all time favorites for obvious reasons.
The Rattlebang Picnic
"PreSchool-Grade 3-An original tall tale with an outrageously bizarre plot. When Jack and Marion McTavish get married, they have to decide between a "wonderful, speedy car that never breaks down" or a large family. They opt for children-seven of them-and an old rattlebang car."
Seven Silly Eaters

We read these when I'm pregnant, give them as gifts for new babies, basicly anytime the topic of "why would anyone have a baby?!" comes up, we remind them with these books.

Mary Ann Hoberman is one of our favorite writers.
Jim Arnosky too, we love his nature books!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Oh, The Little Rose of Sharon by Nan Gurley and Tim Jonke.

Its a story about a Rose who wants to be noticed by God in all her glory but He doesn't seem to notice. One day during a storm a pair of doves lose their one and only egg and search frantically for it. The rose knows that the egg needs to be kept warm to stay alive so she sheds all of her beautiful petals to keep the egg warm and that's when God notices her...makes me cry everytime I read it. [URL=http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rose-Sharon-Nan-Gurley/dp/0781430313/ref=sr_1_1/002-1099520-9788811?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183464761&sr=1-1]

(hmm, I can't seem to figure out these links)
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Anne

This is toooo difficult. Just one book......
Christmas would not be the same with out the book
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.
This is a Christmas Eve favorite in our house. I cry every time I read it.

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

All the Places to Love

beautiful pictures, beautiful poetic language, celebrates nature AND a new baby!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2007 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

My Favorite is Leah's Pony by Elizabeth Friedrich and Michael Garland. Here is a review from Amazon.

Leah's parents are farmers in the Great Plains of the 1930s. Amid locusts and drought, their bank forecloses on its loan, ordering a farm auction. Leah sells her beloved pony and uses the money to bid one dollar for her father's tractor. No one has the heart to outbid her. Her action inspires others at the auction to buy the rest of the goods for ridiculously low-dusty bids and return everything to Leah's family. The oil paintings with subdued color values have great intensity, especially several that catch their subjects full-face and frozen at the peak of strong emotional reactions. Impact is enhanced by the starkness of the setting and the illustrations' stillness. Friedrich adds a one-page historical note describing the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression, and "penny" farm auctions. A moving, effective sketch of a child's bravery and its power to trigger generosity in the adults around her. Liza Bliss, Worcester Public Library, MA
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Back to Top View seven2hold's Profile Search for other posts by seven2hold

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

I was going to add The Seven Silly Eaters but see Martha beat me to it So I will use my vote for anything illustrated by K.Y.Craft.

Shari in NY
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 08 2007 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Miss Rumphius! All three of you know that one, right?

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Oh, I love Simms Taback. His most glorious book is Joseph Had a Little Overcoat. The moral of the story is that you can always make something of nothing. It's about innovation and humility and creativity. The illustrations are genius; I've given several copies of this book as gifts. Everyone loves it.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote momwise

O.K. Taa-daa.......I'm ready

Song of the Swallows by Leo Politi

Could be classified under beautiful artwork, St. Joseph's day, California missions, or Hispanic culture. Amazon says ages 4-8 but for homeschooling families I'd say it could be used for a variety of reasons up to age 11 or 12 and then just for pleasure for all ages.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+

Weight of a Mass....I still can't get through this with out tearing up.
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Taking nothing for granted, I'm going to say The Clown of God. I'm pretty sure I don't have to justify it--I think it's been on every trusted booklist I've seen. But you did ask for our very favorite one!

Wow, it's hard not to explain why I didn't select this or that of five other titles!

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version