Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: rice stories???? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Okay, I know this one is a bit out there, but I found out today a rice mill nearby offers tours and embarked on my own rabbit trail to plan a rice unit study...we are going to visit the mill as well as our friend who is a rice farmer, collect change for Operation Rice Bowl, taste different kinds of rice, look at how important rice is in different cultures, talk about nutritional values,SOOOOO....can anyone think of any stories where rice plays a part...even a wee one?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

One Grain of Rice by Demi

Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak

There are more but I can only think of those two right now... I do have something to share with you.

In our family it's tradition to "cross the rice" before serving it.... you make a cross on the rice with your serving paddle.

In the Philippines, rice is revered almost as a sacred grain. Growing up we were told never to waste a single grain of rice. My parents always turned leftover rice into something else -- even those crusts at the bottom of pots cannot be thrown away. They're either incorporated into other dishes, or given to pet animals, but never put in the trash. Some people say "mabubusong ka" (you will incur the wrath of God) if you throw away rice.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Hi,
Have you tried doing a search at your library website? On my library site I put rice in the subject line and limited it to children's books. Here are a few I came up with (I can't tell you how the books were though): Little Sap and Monsieur Rodin by Michelle Lord
1 Grain of Rice by Demi
Everybody Cooks Rice by Norah Dooley
Have fun and God bless,
Mary
wife of John and mom to 7 blessings
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Nana's Rice Pie by Laurie Knowlton

"A young girl complains that she is tired of living on a rice farm, until her grandmother reminds her of all their blessings and coaxes her into helping to make a pie for her father. Includes recipe."

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Colleen, that study sounds like so much fun - how exciting to have a rice farm and mill nearby.

I know it doesn't sound like it would be about rice, but... The Story of Kites

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

There's one that the lady who wrote the "Everbody Brings Bread" -- Norah Dooley -- called Everybody Cooks Rice -- this is a fun book as the neighborhood is multicultural and they mention lots of different rice dishes; the recipes are in the back of the book so you can make the ones that sound good! Sounds like this would be perfect for your unit study.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I found this site with lots of links - one of the best is this animated rice paddy building one from NOVA.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary M -- you find the coolest links!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

missionfamily wrote:
Okay, I know this one is a bit out there,

Not so "out there" with this group!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Thanks ladies, I'm so excited for our unit study now, I want to go to the library today...but instead I'm making preparations for the baptism of my sweet little blessing, Kolbe Fisher!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just ran across this book at the library - Rice is Life. Written as a poem (with side explanations) about the seasons of the rice paddies of Bali, Indonesia. Very interesting and very beautifully illustrated. Since it is about the Bali culture it includes a stanza at end to the people giving thanks to the Hindu rice goddess.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Chicken Soup With Rice

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

SeaStar wrote:
Bee-bim Bop" by Linda Sue Park. We love this book- it features a little girl helping her mother make a traditional Korean dish called Bee-bim Bop ("mix-mix" rice). The rhyme is great for little ones (ex. "Hurry, Mama, hurry. Gotta chop, chop chop. Hungry-very hungry for some Bee-bim Bop". The pictures are adorable and the book includes a recipe. Reading it always makes me hungry.

Margaret wrote:
The Runaway Rice Cake by Ying Chang Compestine
A Grain of Rice by Pittman

One Grain of Rice

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - this one's beautiful, but perhaps for kids a bit older

Everybody Cooks Rice - this is also good for a Haiti unit study esp. with recent events

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version