Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Question about St Joseph Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 27 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

We have been trying to sell our house in Iowa since last July, and are getting quite discouraged. The house is rented out, but at a lower price than our payment, and we are paying much more for rent here. Of course, that leaves us in a bad situation, money-wise.

Please explain to me the practice of praying to St. Joseph for house selling. I don't want to get into superstition, and I guess it seems like that to me. What am I missing in my understanding?

We would like to be able to get out of this neighborhood and buy a home of our "own" in the country. We have made these almost double payments for 7 months, and the fear is creeping in....
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Essy

I believe it is because St. Joseph was a carpenter and the head of the Holy family's home that he makes such an excellent intercessor for those whose need is in the area of homes and such.

My house has been up for sale since January and I have done several novenas already...it's all in God's good timing though...no magic involved.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Liz, I wanted to share this link with you, about selling houses and St. Joseph. I like Sister Mary Martha, as she is very helpful, but also tells it like it is. Best of luck with all of you that are selling homes!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Thank you, Essy and Fuzzy! I will talk to DH about this.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Liz, we have been struggling to sell our home for over a year now ourselves, I completely understand your frustration. I know about the 'way' to supposedly sell ones home with a "St. Joseph house selling kit". And like you, I felt it is superstisious, plus I don't think I could ever bring myself to bury a statue!! We bought a lovely St. Joseph statue and placed it on our mantle, and we have prayed many novenas for this intention. Nothing has happened in the way of selling our house, but plenty has happened to make us glad it has not sold yet! We still strongly desire to move out of this neighborhood for the sake of our sanity, (it's not a good environment for children.) but we feel we have been protected from many bad situations since we have not sold yet, and for that we are grateful. So, it all comes down to God's will and timing.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Liz, prayers for you.

I'm not comfortable with burying a statue. There was a previous thread Prayer's to St. Joseph for house sales? .

I also wrote a blog piece last year Signs and St. Joseph.

We need to petition and knock harder and be the persistent widow. But really, it's all in God's time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Lisbet wrote:
We bought a lovely St. Joseph statue and placed it on our mantle, and we have prayed many novenas for this intention. Nothing has happened in the way of selling our house, but plenty has happened to make us glad it has not sold yet! We still strongly desire to move out of this neighborhood for the sake of our sanity, (it's not a good environment for children.) but we feel we have been protected from many bad situations since we have not sold yet, and for that we are grateful. So, it all comes down to God's will and timing.

What a wonderful idea! Our home has only been for sale for a couple of weeks, but it seems like a couple of months.

I too feel wierd about burying the statue, but putting up a statue in a place of honor? Duh! I am going to be looking for one and putting it up this weekend. I will pray for all of my 4 real friends with homes for sale and for the families who will be living in them someday too.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2007 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

A friend of mine encouraged me mightily this spring by telling me to continue my prayers to St. Joseph.

She said, " He helps families; it's what he likes to do. Maybe not right away, but in God's time."

I have clung to her words. I will continue to pray for all of us trying to sell and buy houses. It is very stressful,

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

We got a call from our realtor this morning and she has an offer for us, but it is almost 20K less than our asking price. We have a some of room to move, but not that much!! Go figure, the day after I ask about St. Joseph--I think God has quite the sense of humor

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Essy

Oh wow...praise God! I got an e-mail from my realtor yesterday...but it was telling me that my listing will be up on July 6th. I still feel strongly that the move is something that God wants for us, so we definitely want to still go forward with it...we just have to workout the details of whether we want to go with someone else, or try to do this on our own(with God's help).

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Funny St. Joseph story:

My parents moved a lot and did pray to St. Joseph for his intercession both when buying and selling a home.

Right after I got out of college they had moved to a new city and were looking for a home. They found one in a rural area, but it was more than they wanted to spend, and they weren't sure.

They talked to the realtor who talked to the builder about them buying the house 'as is' for a lower price and finishing carpet, some paint, etc. on their own. They weren't sure if they should do this but kept praying to St. Joseph for guidance.

While they were still negotiating to buy the house but before they'd closed on it, they went out to look at it again one day. There was a box in the house that had been delivered there--forwarded by the post office to my parents, though this house didn't belong to them yet, and there was no way the post office should have delivered any mail to them there.

And inside the box was a gift from a family friend: a group of statues of the Holy Family: St. Joseph, the Blessed Mother, and the Infant Jesus.

Needless to say they bought the house.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version