Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: A Midsummer Night’s Dream? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I'm wondering if anyone would be up to studying a Shakespeare play per term like we do the artists and composers? I'm in the throes of planning our next year and was thinking of launching our Shakespeare studies with Midsummer Night's Dream (and yes I have seen what Alice and the gang did with this play--simply beautiful).

I'm hoping to pair this with a study of Mendelssohn who wrote a whole piece dedicated to Midsummer Night's Dream.

I'm not sure about the artist yet, but Vermeer looked interesting!

My real question is if anyone has done this play with their children, what did you do to make the learning more fun? I'm wondering whether we should start with the Nesbit or Lamb version of this play or maybe read the original? My children's ages, BTW, are 11, 9, 9, and 3. I posted somewhere else to see if someone had found paper dolls to help them keep all the characters straight.

I am searching high and low for Shakespeare plays that we can see. So far, no good. Ideally, I'd like to culminate our study with attending a true play. So, if you have any ideas to make this play and our first experience with Shakespeare come alive, please let me know!

For those who may not know, like me, Mater Amabilis has a great section of info on Shakespeare as well as Ambleside.

Thanks in advance! Grace & Peace!

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Ana,
I am game for doing a Shakespeare play per term. I was planning on it anyway. And Midsummer night's dream was my next pick! We got a dvd of it, though I haven't been able to watch it yet.

IMHO
I would definitely start with reading the children a simpler version of the story. And I'd also pick out a few lines (or more) for them to memorize. I don't know if I'd have them read the whole original... esp. bec there are probably some bawdy lines...

I also want to mention a very FASCINATING article on this play by Henry Russell, doing a CAtholic interpretation of Shakespeare.

http://www.staustinreview.com/Articles/02_04_russell.html

Also Kolbe has an audio of his to listen to on Midsummer Night's dream--at least for the parents.

CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Ana,
Have you checked to see if your town or one nearby is putting on a Shakespeare play this summer? Many towns do this. You local library may have his plays on video/dvd. Perhaps a local college or other school would be doing a Shakespeare play. If you can tie it into the play you are currently studying that's great, but don't worry if you can't.
God bless,
Mary
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I am checking to see when the next Shakespeare festival is and the best I could find is a Renaissance festival about 1.5 hours away in Nov. That might be perfect timing.

Is there a kid friendly non-animated version of Midsummer that you've seen?

Thanks for the article, CK. I do want to appreciate Shakespeare for myself. In high school we studied some of the tragedies and I loved it. The plays seemed such a deep well rich with symbolism and meaning and portrayal of human plights. But the comedies? I need help appreciating them and seeing them more than silly stories (please don't gasp!).

Many of you already know about this blog, http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2007/05/whats-so-gr eat-about-shakespeare.html

Lindafay, did a wonderful blog entry with lots of Shakespeare help, more for older bunch but alot of useful info.

I'm still open to suggestions! I'll be working on this a while!

Grace & Peace!

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Ana,
in Charlotte Mason companion, Karen Andreaola mentions an old b/w version with James Cagney. I could not find that before, but you might look for it.

We got the one done by BBC for TV--presumably cleaned up a bit, and shortened. (I haven't been able to watch it bc I had to pack it right after it came! Our stuff should be arriving next week.) I will let you know how it is ASAP....

CK

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Bruce Coville wrote a beautiful picture book called A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's a feast for the eyes. Perhaps you might start there?

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Tina,
This book looks gorgeous! I plan to get it as soon as we have the moolah!

thanks a lot!
CK

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Can't help with the studies part of it...but my daughter was in a Shakespeare in the park production of this last year and it was delightful!!! This year they are doing Twelfth Night, and I can't wait to see this either!

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Tina,

That's a GREAT book! I'll reserve it at the library!

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Just want to tell y'all... We were able to watch the BBC TV production of MSND and I thought it was quite good. The music was beautiful, and the main actors very strong. There was nothing untoward in the production (some kissing between Oberon and Tatania, but I told the kids that's okay bc they are married! )

Unfortunately, this movie has not been released separately here in the US. (we got ours from the UK.) You would have to get the boxed set of Comedies--Ouch! However, even one of our libraries in WY have this set, so I am sure you could ILL it.

Also, I looked at reviews of other productions of MSND--it seems like they are either totally outdated, unavailable on DVD (Cagney), or too sexy (Kline and Pfeiffer) for little ones.

Hope this helps you all.

Blessings,
CK

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote mariB

We just did Twelfth Night and my kids loved it. We did a read through(see my blog) and we will piggy back it with a professional performance in our
town:) It was fun. I made headresses with the girls from flowers, pipecleaners, and ribbons from the dollar store.

Blessings

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

we went to see romeo and juliet on sunday. we'll be going to 12th night in august. hi cindy! can't wait to see catherine in the show. how are molly and laura? let's set up a playdate for the girls.
mary

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Mary!!! The girls are great, and a playdate would be wonderful!! Catherine is having a blast again with the show....but may have to cut her curls to match her "twin" brother in the play

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We are planning to study this play next school year. Is everyone else doing it Fall Semester?

This is one play that is very interesting to see in person. Every time I've seen it (twice now) the approach has been fascinatingly innovative. I saw it at Caltech, where they used a very modern, minimalist scenery and costume approach (they had costumes, don't worry!); all the action outside of the "Pyramus and Thisbe" scenes depended on the actors because the sets and costumes were very minimalist.

We did "Julius Caesar" last year and spent lots of time reading aloud. If anyone has some good DVD suggestions, I'm all ears. ("Friends, Romans, countrymen...")

Great idea! I'm on board!

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

The Marlon Brando one is supposed to be good. It is available on dvd.

We recently saw the BBC one. The main actors were good, though the props were somehow lower budget.

hth,
CK

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

guitarnan wrote:
   I saw it at Caltech, where they used a very modern, minimalist scenery and costume approach (they had costumes, don't worry!);

CALTECH???YOU SAW IT AT CALTECH??? My dh is a graduate of that fine institution....many years ago. Did you attend?

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2007 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Ana,

Thank you for the kind words about our Shakespeare production!

Your children are the perfect age to work directly from the original, and I think you will have a great time just reading it with them, particularly if you get an excellent illustrated edition like Dover's Rackham illustrated copy. (Recommended with reservation because of some revealing fairy pictures, small and not horrible, but something to keep in mind when selecting).

If I had an 11 year old and two nine year olds, I would consider assigning parts for them to read, perhaps memorizing certain scenes to perform for Dad or Grandma. You might even be able to work through the whole play this way, assigning a scene to learn every month or so. My children learned so much by memorizing all that beautiful language.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Maybe y'all know about this, but I found out that you can download(rent) onto your computer movies for $2 from Amazon. And they have the Midsummer night's dream version that I mentioned above!

Here's the website address (Sorry, I don't know how to make it link):

http://www.amazon.com/BBC-Shakespeare-Midsummer-Nights-Dream /dp/B000KDZS9K/ref=pd_sim_atv_2_img/102-0162619-3604916

I'm going to see what else they've got!
Blessings,
CK

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Ana
I think it a wonderful idea.

A note on the Lamb's version, when our town put on a production in the park (which apparently was terrific and we didn't get to go to ) my irl friend borrowed my Lamb's, which gathers dust and was uninpressed as they missed vital parts, I think even a character.   

CK
I certainly didn't know about that!!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Hi Cindy,
catherine did a wonderful job! we enjoyed the whole show. was the real sebastian puck last year?
mary

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version