Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Maternity Clothing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

There has been much discussion about Maternity clothes, but I don't see my questions.

How soon do you transition into maternity clothes? My clothes are getting tight. I can work with the skirts, and some pants, but not too much longer. My main problem is the shirts...yikes! The chest area is just too much now. I've only had maternity clothes for one pregnancy, and they are few and not in the best condition.

And where do you get shirts? I'm having the same dilemma as before. I tend to wear classic (read: plain) clothes. Solid colors, some stripes, no florals, RARELY pink. My main colors are khaki and black bottoms, white, black, red, blue, and purple tops. I don't wear peasant style, flowing, ruffly clothes. And I like cotton! I don't wear t-shirts too often except around the house. So when I go to the regular maternity clothing stores my options are few (style for one, and then I don't want plunging necklines or tanktops either).

Help!?!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I buy a size up in regular clothes before I go to maternity. The only problem is that I have skinny arms and sometimes arms are too big. But... if I find clothes that work it's usually not a waste of money because I usually have to wear those clothes again for a couple of months after the baby is born.   

In fact last summer intead of a maternity suit, I wore a swim suit that was one size bigger -- and because I have a long torso to hide a lot of baby -- that method worked through month 8 and most of 9! It was much easier to find a modest suit that way!!

There are flaws to this method, but by and large that's what I do...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

It's just so fun to see you writing about pregnancy stuff!

I don't start needing maternity clothes until about 4 months. My petite sil w/ long legs and short torso outgrows regular stuff by 5-6 weeks! My other sil, who's also skinny, made it quite far along without needing any mat. clothing. I think it just depends on individual bodies as well as one's style of dress.

Ebay's been mentioned a lot on earlier threads & may be your best bet...clothes from 8+ years ago are more conservative, roomier and more tailored. I've noticed this most especiaaly in tops.

Good luck finding some lovely things!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

MarieC wrote:

Oh, I wanted to make the same comment about you Jenn! I'm so excited for you.

Ok, not trying to hijack the thread, just couldn't help reacting.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm petite, and not skinny and tall. I'm more hippy than you, Maryan! I spent a good many hours trying on tons of clothing (esp. shirts) and they just didn't fit right -- even larger wasn't large enough for the bust without swimming everywhere else! I did buy some capris in the next size and they ended up falling down, so while my tummy is slightly expanding, it can't hold up the pants.

Thanks for the tips. Dh doesn't want me to buy from eBay, but to try things on before buying. So another trip to a mall will be in my future, I guess.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tami wrote:
MarieC wrote:

Oh, I wanted to make the same comment about you Jenn! I'm so excited for you.

Ok, not trying to hijack the thread, just couldn't help reacting.

Aw, thanks. I'm still astonished that I am writing about it. But the nausea continues on , so it's a good sign. I'm 8 1/2 weeks....a long way to go, but I've come so far already.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, I am usually in maternity clothes about 3 days in to my luteual phase!    I'm almost not kidding, I show mega early, but I am very short, petite, with a small torso.

Anyhow, do you have an upscale consignment shop near you? We have a great one here and she carries awesome maternity clothing. I have had much luck there. Also, for bottoms, I have found that the 'all around belly panel' works well early on since it can be folded over if need be. I usually fold it over in the morning then by late afternoon it's up like normal. At this point though, I am big as a hippo!

In the way of tops, I have noticed the trend of tunic type tops, gap.com has some that I thought were pretty cute, and some basic colors. (I have not bought from there though. )

Penny's maybe, or babystyle? I hope you find something. I HATE physically shopping. I'm an online junkie though!   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jenn,
I am in the same boat right now. My maternity pants fall off, literally. I have a couple of bermuda shorts that I bought post-partum last year that still fit okay, but there are the low hip style which I hate anyway.

I am thinking about buying a smaller size of maternity pants. I can't stand anything tight at all around my lower abdomen, so most regular pants even big ones are too snug there. I don't know what I have done before, I think I was bigger sooner so the maternity pants didn't fall off.

At the end of the last pregnancy, I bought a couple of these shirts from Motherhood. I have been wearing them ever since! They are a good length, they cover maternity panels in pants, but aren't so long they look ridiculous postpartum. They hang nicely so they don't look maternity, just roomy. It is v-neck, but not low cut. It looks like they are just about sold out. I had been hoping to get a couple more.

Anyway, that is the best help I can offer. I already dreading the heat, wondering what I can find that is both comfortable and modest. Sigh.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I am about a month and a half off from my due date, and I am just recently getting to the point where I wear maternity clothes every day. I held off however I possibly could...I just can't stand maternity clothes and I get very bored with wearing the same things over and over, as I can't afford to go out and get a whole new wardrobe! Anyway, what I have found this time around (my 3rd pregnancy...) is that dresses are great! I got them fairly early on and they fit, and they still fit. I'm wearing a nice one with 3/4 sleeves and below-the-knee length today that I got at Old Navy for $10. Also, I have found some shirts that I just adore at Target. They are just the solid, plain t-shirts by Liz Lange that they have for $9.99. They are long enough to cover the maternity panel or to go below the waist band if I'm wearing a pre-pregnancy skirt under the belly. They are v-neck, but it's a high v-neck, and I'm not particularly busty so it's not a problem for me. Nothing shows when I bend over or otherwise. They have a perfect amount of strech. I found a 3/4 sleeve one at a local children's thrift shop that I am pleased with as well.
Best of luck to you! I'm a solids/classics kind of gal as well!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I show early. I'm 14 weeks now. What has been working for me is postpartum bottoms with maternity tops. They are longer and I feel like its more obvious to the gen. public that I'm pregnant rather than getting chubbier!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Jenn, I know you we are different styles , but have you tried the maternity pants without the panels, or just small elastic band? At home, I would wear anything and everything elastic or drawstring (read: yoga pants and PJ pants ). But they have lots of "in between" pants without the panel, or under-the-belly kind. Have you tried the expander for pants? It is like a dickie for the pants in the front and you can wear it with a longer/untucked shirt.

I know you might find something in ebay. Some people will even do a whole wardrobe on there! As for the tops, maybe you would like to try the layering technique, with a tank top/layering shirt under your shirt so you can leave the bustier parts open? Just until you can fit into the maternity tops.

I am going to second Target and Old Navy. They are really good prices and I LOVE Liz Lange!

Love you, Jenn!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I'm in the same situation. I'm 8.5 weeks but am so sick that anything on my belly makes me even sicker. I loaned all my maternity clothes to my sister (hi Kathy!) I went out yesterday to see if I could find any maternity capris and they were all over $30--even at Target. I did see the shirts Molly mentioned are on sale at Motherhood for $8 right now.

Also--if you have a Macy's near you they sell Motherhood and you can actually return the stuff (unlike the Motherhood store.) It's a nice thing to know when shopping with little people that you can at least return something if you don't have time to try them on.

I need to get something just so I don't have to wear the same pair of exercise capris everyday.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I'm 12 weeks and living in non-maternity elastic waist jersey skirts and long tank tops or sleeveless maternity blouses. I like the maternity tops because they are longer and looser and make me look pregnant instead of just chubby, like someone said above. Also, with my chest SO big, they work better for that, too. I also have maternity pants to wear (with the thin band or all-around belly band), but in this heat, I can't stand wearing pants.

I am also short-waisted and petite, and I've been in maternity or elastic waists since about week 6. My first pregnancy I didn't show until I was 4 months, so this is quite a change.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I had good luck at Sears during my pregnancy ("Two Hearts" brand). They don't have their maternity stuff online for some reason, but they had a pretty good selection of tops in-store.

They had some wonderful solid-color T-shirts that had a nice high V-neck without being too tight in the bust. (I found the ones from Target and Old Navy to be too long, slim, and low-cut, but these were just right.)

I also bought a couple high-necked sports bras in black and white and wore them under the low-cut maternity blouses that were so easy to find. (The elasticity of the sports bras helped minimize my bust too.)   

I was in maternity clothes very quickly--by maybe eight weeks or so I was pairing maternity tops with my elastic-waisted jersey skirts.

Congrats, and good luck!
Celeste
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

gap

This is my favorite maternity shirt. I had 3 or 4 with my last pregnancy.

And these are the maternity version of my favorite capris. They have that demi panel all the way around that works great holding pants up early on and then rolls under your bump later.

And I wore the cami to deliver the last 2 kids. I found camis at JCP too. Call me if you want to go shopping.   

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

DominaCaeli wrote:
I had good luck at Sears during my pregnancy ("Two Hearts" brand). They don't have their maternity stuff online for some reason, but they had a pretty good selection of tops in-store.

I was told at my local Sears that they don't carry maternity anymore
I've had pretty good luck at JCPenny's, getting basic stuff like khaki's and polo shirts.
I did start wearing maternity clothes pretty early this last time, and wanted it obvious that I was pregnant!
And I third (or fourth?) that it's great to see Jenn posting on this topic!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I got some good shirts from the "announcements" brand. I also wore a number of larger sized shirts during my last few months (I normally wear an XL...I was in 2 and 3 Xs by the time I delivered). I like the "basic" look. I found a good site online (not ebay, lol) that sells nice skirts, in cotton twill...I got the navy and the kahaki ones...they wore well, and were extremely comfortable (read that to mean, not too tight around my enormous abdomen). Here's the link:

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mainpage-maternity.html

I don't do pants, so I can't help you there. Sorry... ...however, I was able to find some reasonable classic shirts here and there. Honestly, I'd hit the men's departments. OR go with something that is actually a size larger, but a more "tailored" design. Does that make any sense? Something with some shape might work by being big enough thru the chest, but have enough tailoring to the waist area to be more fitted, so that it doesn't look like a tent...

HTH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 31 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Jenn, during my last pregnancy I purchased a Bella Band and I loved it. I wore it almost every day.

Early on, I could leave my regular pants undone and cover the top of them with the band, or use them to smooth and hold up maternity pants that were still a little too large. It is also great for remaining modest...as you will soon discover, maternity clothing has "shrunk" with lower waist bands on pants and shorter shirts. I personally do not like to let my pregnant belly hang out...nor to I care to look like a pregnant "plumber" IYKWIM! So the band nicely covered all the areas between the top of the pants and the bottom of the shirt, as well as provided support to my tummy and back. If you do order one...error of the side of buying larger because they do fit snug.

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 01 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Congrats, Jenn! I missed your announcement but that's exciting news!

I forgot what brand Target carries but they have some under the belly clothes with an adjustable waist band that worked really well for a few months. I thought it would drive me nuts with the band under my belly but it actually turned out to be pretty comfortable.

The Sears at Fair Oaks has a small maternity section back by the lingerie area that I've had some success with and Motherhood Maternity is right next door and I know they had a bunch of T-shirts/shorts on sale last weekend that might work. I was pretty disappointed with JCPenney's selection here but you might have better luck. The best I've done though, was to borrow clothes from friends since the styles from a few years ago seem to run a little bigger and aren't quite as revealing.   

Good luck with your hunt!
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I was at Motherhood earlier this week. The t shirts were too short (and I fear would be even shorter after washing), but they have some short sleeved crip cotton blouses that were much longer and with a safety pin at the neckline, modest as well (they are the crossover style that will hang open if not pinned). I also found one rayon top that was long and graceful (also needing a pin). They have a long skirt in stock too! I bought one in denim and one in stone. Very cute.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version