Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Patriotic Studies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 26 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I was just browsing my bookshelves and decided that we'll spend the coming weeks with William Bennett's The Children's Book of America. I also have Lynne Cheney's America A Patriotic Primer and a patriotic children's cd.

I would love to hear your favorite patriotic book suggestions and activity ideas. I would especially love something cool that we could display for our extended family coming for a July 4th celebration and a huge extended family reunion at the end of July.

Thanks!!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2005 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Molly Smith wrote:
I would love to hear your favorite patriotic book suggestions and activity ideas.

We love the American History Songs tape and book.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2005 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I just purchased I Pledge Allegiance by Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson. It is published by Candlewick Press.

We enjoy the Wee Sing America CD. My Aunt always entertains on July 4th so we have a parade each year. It is very fun, and her neighbors love it. She always makes my Uncle carry the flag to lead us. It was embrassing as a teen but fun again now as a Mom.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2005 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

How about an informal water gun fight - it could be made into a re-enactment of one of the revolutionary war battles. Be prepared for it to break out into an all out free-for all, but it is fun, and COOL.

By the Dawn's Early Light by Steven Kroll is a beautifully illustrated story of the composition of the National Anthem during the war of 1812.

One of our relatives made a jello/whipped cream dessert that looked like the flag. Of course you could get creative and make various flags from the the history of the U.S. Flag making out of construction paper is a very popular endeavor at our house.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We have _The Children's Book of America_ on cassette and the kids really enjoy listening to bits and pieces of it. We also just checked out Happy Birthday America by Mary Pope Osborne, it's got very colorful and engaging illustrations.

We like to do a chocolate sheet cake with white frosting (usually cream cheese) and red and blue M & M's for the stripes and stars, takes a while, but keeps them occupied while I make the lemonade and iced tea, decorated with little cocktail flags and all

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 29 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We get together with a few other families each 4th of July. Last year the kids put on a show that included a reading of the Declaration of Independence and singing of patriotic songs. Were you thinking of something simple like that?

Here are some of the patriotic books we own:

The Declaration of Independence: The Words that Made America (illustrated and inscribed by Sam Fink)
We the Kids: The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States (illustrations and foreward by David Catrow)
America: A Patriotic Primer (by Lynne Cheney)
The Children's Book of America (edited by William J. Bennett)
Uncle Sam and Old Glory: Symbols of America (by Delno C. West and Jean M. West)
The Story of the Star Spangled Banner: By the Dawn's Early Light (by Steven Kroll)
The Statue of Liberty (by Lucille Recht Penner)
Liberty (by Lynn Curlee)
Rushmore (by Lynn Curlee)
This Land is Your Land (Words and music by Woody Guthrie, Paintings by Kathy Jakobsen)
A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women (by Lynne Cheney)

mi4ol
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 29 2005 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote mi4ol

Here are some more book ideas for you:

The Reb and Redcoats, by Constance Savery

The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, by Henry W. Longfellow, graved and painted by Christopher Bing,

Redcoats and Petticoats, by Katherine Kirkpatrick

The Revolutionary Soldier 1775-1783, an illustrated sourcebook, by C. Keith Wilbur

Yankee Doodle, by Gary Chalk

Take Your Hat Off When the Flag Goes By, book and cassette, by Janeeen Brady

Voices of American History, book & CD, Steven Traugh

Check out www.corpsrediscovery for unit studies, crafts etc. We've made possibles bags, quill pens and ink recipes, powder horns, leaf presses, etc.

Do whatever He tell you. John 2:5b
Back to Top View mi4ol's Profile Search for other posts by mi4ol

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version