Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Need Some Input Regarding 4Real Blog List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I posted this under the "definitive list" but wasn't sure that people would read it there so I'm making a seperate post here...

Quote:
Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know that there have been several updates to this list.

I've been thinking about the best way for those with the list in their blog rolls to keep it updated as I generally add between 3 and 5 a week still. Does anyone want to input this list onto the Blog Ring? I'll be happy to help but I'm not sure that I can take it on by myself as I'm on dial up so if adding each site is a multi-step process it could be pretty time consuming...

Another idea I had is to design a button that links to the list here. That way, the list is always updated for everyone. Can someone volunteer to design such a button? I have very limited capabilities in doing such a task.

Is this something to be concerned about? Ideas and opinions are welcome!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I did respond under the other topic, but you are right. You can't add the whole blogroll to the webring.

Each blog has to enroll individually.

We only have 66 members right now, so anyone not in the ring could join. I monitor it daily and can make sure all the blogs get in the ring right away.

I think that would cover the "button" issue also, because the webring has an option to list all the members -- then you can pick and chose which site to visit.

And thanks for putting together the blogroll!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks to both of you ladies! I love looking at the blogs and am grateful for the list and the webring!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Yay! Thanks Paula!

I'm glad to know that the webring is functioning again. And this will definitely solve the issue of the blog roll constantly growing.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

One other option:

Susan, if you want to keep the list on your blog updated, people could just post a link for "The Definitive List" to that specific post on your blog (that's how I added it to my template recently.)

My guess is that you may end up getting contacted both through that post and through the "definitive list" thread here in the forum, and both of them might be considered by people to be "definitive" ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Karen, it's timely that you mention this as I just got a request to be added to the list at my blog last night. It was for a beautiful blog with all sort of photos of Holy Cards on it. I was going to add it right away, then hesitated when I realized that I didn't know if the blog author was even a member of this board forum!

I decided that it would be best to at least ensure that blogs on the list belong to members of the 4 Real Forum, so I've changed the message at my blog to ask that anyone who wants to be added to the blog send me a PM. And I provided a link to the "Definitive List" here at the boards.

I'm thinking that a link to the list at the forum here might be the better way to go since at least it would encourage more people to join us here and would also help to ensure that those added to the list are at least members of this forum.

Thoughts? Concerns? Who cares? Let me know!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Taffy, I think a link to the list here at the forum is a good idea.

That being said, I thought that was what the webring was supposed to be; a "listing" of all the blogs in this forum, and a "shortcut" to viewing them.

I wasn't involved when the webring was first started, so I am wondering if Elizabeth or Lissa could address that? We are all so busy with our kids, and school, and this forum, and blogging, that I don't think any of us need to add any more to our plates! (lunch, dinner, supper, whatever you call it )

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Taffy wrote:

I'm thinking that a link to the list at the forum here might be the better way to go since at least it would encourage more people to join us here and would also help to ensure that those added to the list are at least members of this forum.

An excellent point! And I'll get my sidebar changed asap to reflect your preference.

Paula in MN wrote:

I wasn't involved when the webring was first started, so I am wondering if Elizabeth or Lissa could address that?

I know they're both extremely busy right now, and so -- risking presumption -- I'll jump in.

Yes, the webring was originally to be the "shortcut" and Lissa volunteered to do it.

This thread talks a bit about that ... Lissa just didn't have time, and then it was transferred to the umbrella of Elizabeth's blog, but I'm guessing she did not have time either, and subsequently, there's been no "definitive list" and also no one to maintain one.

Although the webring would be a nice shortcut, it still requires someone to maintain it. Paula, it sounds as if you've been willing to take this on, but people aren't applying. I think it's probably a combination of two things:

1. Many of us assumed the webring was basically defunct
2. Newer people don't know about it, and just add their url to the "Attention Bloggers" thread.

At this point, updating the "Definitive List" thread looks like the best bet, but of course, that still involves maintenance.

Susan -- and/or Paula -- do you know what you're taking on? Because, I think, at this point, you've just assumed responsibility ....

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Well, Paula and Karen, I totally agree with everything that you both said.

I had thought that the webring was defunct which is why I went ahead and created the list. I'm willing to maintain it but don't know if I can handle the time commitment of maintaining the webring. And, since Paula is already doing it, I don't have to...

Do we want to add all these blogs to the ring? A few of them are archive blogs (e.g., écolebuissiniere and Amyable's original blog - the name escapes me at the moment). I included them on the list as they are rather large but do the owners want them on the ring? Should we just assume that those blogs that are on the list should be on the ring? Questions, questions...

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

First, I'd like to clear up any confusion about the webring. I have been administering it since December, and it is not defunct! Lissa did an extraordinary job, and it is very tough to fill her shoes, but I am trying!There are only 66 members of the ring -- so we are missing alot!!!

To add blogs to the ring, the blog owner needs to submit their own application. Unfortunately, we can't just go in and start adding everyone to the ring.

The problem with the webring? If an individual blog is not working, or if a blog software is not working, the ring can't work until I go into it and remove the blog(s) not working. I don't get a notification that the ring isn't working, so it could be HOURS before I realize it.

The problem with the blogroll list? Everytime someone changes their blog name or the blog software they are using, the blogroll needs to be updated.

So, six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I will do whatever the forum wants! That's why I volunteered to take over the webring - I like to help!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Paula in MN wrote:
I have been administering it since December, and it is not defunct! Lissa did an extraordinary job, and it is very tough to fill her shoes, but I am trying!

And doing a great job!

Paula in MN wrote:
There are only 66 members of the ring -- so we are missing alot!!!

So, there are way more on the "Definitive List" thread than there are in the webring, which tells me that most people need or prefer something simple like emailing their url to someone, rather than having to go into their template and add code. So, it sounds like the Definitive List thread "wins"? I would say that, at this point, whatever you two want to do is "the final answer." The rest of us will follow the blogroll leaders.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Please excuse me for jumping into a conversation, but I have a couple of questions/comments:

I couldn't get Karen's link to the old thread to work, so I didn't get to see her full point -- where she decided that a list here was better. However, I think I feel like the webring is a better option:

1. Qualification: To join any 4Real list, it seems that their should be some standard (maybe the mission statement on 4Real's homepage??) Paula, do you peruse the blog first to see if it's appropriate to be in the ring? I know when I signed up to join -- it seemed like you did. It does seem that any list of "4Real blogs" should be somehow moderated or checked before they're labelled a 4Real blog? I'm not sure how you moderate that.

2. Webring not advertised: I think the only fault of the webring is that it isn't "advertised" -- at least not in any obvious manner. I just stumbled upon it at someone's site and thought it was the perfect solution to listing some of the 4Real blogs without missing someone or hurting someone's feelings. If Paula has been maintaining the webring, the webring seems that's the best way to maintain the list. HOWEVER... it was neat to see how many even more 4Real blogs on Susan's list. I don't know if you add them without the actual blogger "applying." Could you post something at fireside chat and then could Janette put a sticky here to the webring?

3. Paula has been and is willing to moderate it -- so that solves that issue

Just another thought from an outside view...and a little jumbled since I haven't finished my coffee yet!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oops and I didn't see Karen's last post!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Maryan, please don't apologize for jumping in. Jumping in is always good here. And, thanks for pointing out the faulty link. I just fixed it (my mouse's right-click isn't working and the alternatives I'm using to get cutting/ pasting and linking accomplished isn't quite right!)

Perhaps because blogging isn't officially part of the board (as in, a separate forum with a moderator -- I believe that was discussed and ruled out), none of this has been "officially" done. It's been handled by one person after another who volunteered to put in the time necessary. I think we're still in that position. So, whether Definitive List thread or Blogroll, or both ... it's up to those of you who are volunteering!

(I'm reminded of church-related volunteering: "Be careful about what ideas you bring up, because the next thing you know, you'll be heading a new committee....")

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Maryan:

You are right about qualifications for the webring. I do check each one first -- you'd be surprised at some of the 'applications'.

This is the official mission statement for the webring:

These are the blogs of members of the 4 Real Learning discussion group, a place for discussion of Catholic home education. Our blogs focus on homeschooling, celebrating the liturgical year, large families, nature study, cooking, babies, and more!

Also, when a site attempt to join, there is a text box on the right side of the screen which states they must be a member of 4Real Forum in order to join.

If anyone wants to see that or the list itself, look at the ring on your blog. You can click on JOIN to see the application, or click on LIST to see the existing members.

And I completely agree with Karen's comment about church-related volunteering!!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Okay, another thought.

Karen, can we put it to a vote? Like a Poll?

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Well, everyone is raising some very good points here.

I have checked through the blogs to make sure that the owner is a member of the forum. Not all of them are strictly about homeschooling though. The only blog on the list whose member status I am unsure about is Let the Little Ones Come although I did preview the blog before adding it and believe that it certainly qualifies to be on this list. I noticed that several 4 Real members had left comments on this blog, maybe they know the status?

As I said before, I'm afraid I was among those who thought that the ring was no longer functioning - sorry for the error. I do think that simply maintaining a ring would be the answer to the problem of having an updated list on our blog rolls. I also think that we probably should advertise it's availability a bit better. For instance, I had David of Bruggietales ask to be included on this list - he asked at my blog and I did recognize him as being a long-time member of this board. I'm sure he wasn't aware of the web-ring and I am sure there are others.

Should I then post about the web-ring on top of the Definitvie List post here? Should we maybe have the webring advertised on the home page of the forum? And/or the Active Topics page?

What do you think? Paula?

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Taffy wrote:
The only blog on the list whose member status I am unsure about is Let the Little Ones Come although I did preview the blog before adding it and believe that it certainly qualifies to be on this list. I noticed that several 4 Real members had left comments on this blog, maybe they know the status?

Yes, she's an active member of the board.   

I can set up a ring vs. blogroll thread poll if you'd like. (Just phrase it for me first!    )

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Thanks Janette!

I'm not sure how to phrase the poll question either though.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Just jumping on here on my "lunch hour" ...

Janette, I'm so glad you jumped in. I agree that a poll of the bloggers might help.

Susan: Janette, being the Queen Mother of the Board (in that she and her husband Tim set this whole place up and know all the technical thinga-ma-jiggies and how to work them)is definitely the one to help you with the poll.

As for phrasing, how about a subject line:

All Bloggers Please Respond!

and the poll could read something like this:

If you are an active member of this board, maintain a blog, and would like your blog included in the most current blogroll/webring, which of the following options would you prefer:

A. a regularly updated thread here on the board that includes a list of all bloggers (please be aware that you would need to contact the person doing thread maintenance if you have a change in your url, etc.)

B. a webring (please be aware that with the webring option, you need to apply to the webring and place the webring's code in your blog's template -- we cannot do this for you, though most people find it fairly simple to do.)

Does that sound like it covers the two options?

I guess the thing I'm leaving out in that phrasing, though, is what to do for the people who like to list links for each and every blog. Susan, were people successfully doing that from your "definitive list"? (I'm sorry that I wasn't following the success of that more closely ....)

Am I just muddying the waters?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version