Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: How many of us are doing 9th grade Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

Well, I'm almost set on a plan for my 9th gr ds. He is our 3rd son. The first two did all MODG syllibi, with teacher's assistance. But John is different from those two and I'm trying to adapt things a bit for him. So far...

Religion: Didache Intro to Catholicism
        Plan to have him read, discuss, do some of the questions, quizzes and workbook things. I'll have to play that by ear when I see what he is getting from the text from reading. I'd prefer some oral narrations with the discussions but it's a busy household and the ideal rarely happens.

Math: Teaching Textbooks Alg 1
        I'm looking into getting a basic laptop so he can work in the quiet of his room on this. He stresses easily over noise and chaos. I've ordered the TT but didn't think to find out if it runs on Windows Vista, which all the new computers have. dumb me.

American History and Literature
        Through MODG with Teacher's assistance for the grading of those papers. I plan to order the lectures from The Great Courses on American History for him to watch also

Science
      I THINK we'll use the EArth Science from MODG, modifying it for him with only one essay a week instead of two. I also have a lap book activity/research pack from Hands of a Child for him to use. I would like him to look over the Natural History syllibus and see what he thinks but it's like pulling teeth to get input on schooling things from any of the males in this house.

Spanish 1
      Time and energy permitting we'll use Rosetta Stone and also Interactive Spanish Grammar made Eesy- a book witha cdrom I picked up on Amazon.

English
    I'm still deliberating on this. John has trouble gleaning info, organizing his thoughts and expressing himself in both writing and orally. That said, I feel the need to spend his time and energy on the writing process this year. I did order the Abeka spelling/vocabulary and poetry workbook when I got the Health but wonder if we'll use it. I'm considering signing him up with Bravewriter for the Boomerang which would work on lots of different skills and also has the book discussion group online. Anyone used this? I've used the Arrow in past years off and on. I've also considered signing him up for the writing class. He did the BAsic 1 years ago.

Health
     Abeka Health- this is a 1/2 credit. Our state requires it and I don't want risking him taking it in PS some day. The book covers some anatomy and physiology, drugs and alcohol, health and safety, abstinence, etc. I like the christian perspective on taking care of the bodies God gave us. It was good I think for my 10th grader who worked through it himself this year.

Physed
    MODG requires 2 years and our state requires one. We'll see if he gets the time in for a full year. He's pretty active though and can even get credit for some of his time working on the golf course.

My overall goal is to challenge him but not completely stress him out. I want him to ENJOY hsing. His two older brothers ended up going to school in 11th gr. I'd love to change that cycle. And John really needs my time and attention for most of these subjects. It just doesn't come easy for him. I want this year to build up and not tear down our relationship. Ninth grade was tough with both of my older boys. I am looking into the local Christian hs group. Our Catholic group has NO boys in highschool, just about 5 girls. John has one friend who belongs to this group. He goes to a coop that meets once a week. I am going to consider this. But, they may not accept us because we are catholic. We just found about a hs baseball team and John went to watch two of the games. He was impressed and excited to get on the team next year. It is for 15-21yos!! John will also probably get a memebership to our health center and take the sports fitness classes and use the equipment for working out. And he does have the opportunity to work on the golf course too. I'm praying for the protection of his heart over these next two years and for him to keep his ties with, especially, his 12yo brother but also the rest of the family.

I've rambled long enough. Sometimes it helps to write these things out. Maybe I better print this out!!

Theresia - blessed to be the wife of Scott and Mom to Matthew - off to college in 4 weeks, Alex 16 and off to PS for the first time in 3 weeks, John 15, Max 12.5, Zelie 9yo, Xavier 7yo and Scott Jr 4, AND Annemarie 16 month old little darling
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

My oldest will be a 9th grader this year, and here's what we're doing (subject to serious tweaking as we go):

With several other families, we are doing a high-school co-op, which will cover Engish (I'm the English teacher!), Religion/apologetics, and Latin.

Co-op classes/texts

English: ancient and classical literature, plus composition and some grammar. You can look at my booklist and rough outline for the year at http://abandonhopefully.blogspot.com. I've already amassed some online resources for general use, and my plan is to add notes, links, lecture tidbits, handouts, etc. as the year goes on. At home we're pretty unschooly, but I do have this classroom-teacher side . . . my ultimate hope is to create a kind of high-school-English central, to provide resources and a flexible program for all four years of homeschool high school.

Religion: a homeschooling father who's a candidate for the diaconate will be leading a discussion class using the Didache Intro to Catholicism

Latin: Henle 1. We have done a lot of informal Latin, but this will be a "real" Latin 1 class.

We are doing algebra 1 with a homeschooling friend who's also a math tutor, just using a plain ol' Scott-Foresman text (I think) that she recommended. I don't trust my own ability to make algebra "live," but my friend Alex can do that!

Our at-home component:

History: we're doing ancient history to dovetail with the literature we're reading in English. Before I got offered the chance to teach in the co-op, I had been intending to do an integrated history-literature course loosely based on the MODG ancient history/lit syllabus. So to complement the literature, we're reading The Founding of Christendom and also probably listening to the Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civ course with Prof. F.X. Noble. We'll also read a little Herodotus, whom I've been reading off and on this summer. We've already read some historical novels which we hadn't already read, to get us in the mood for the ancient world.

Science: we've been loosely doing the MODG biology syllabus using All Creatures Great and Small, since last year. Last year I counted this as "life science;" when we finish, it will be a biology credit. This is really an 11th-grade syllabus, so I just adapt things to suit us. We may or may not read Darwin's Black Box, though I think she'd enjoy at least outtakes from it, or as a read-aloud.

Electives:

Via our umbrella school here -- we're in one of those umbrella school states -- I was able to award high-school credit for up to 3 subjects she did last year. Last year she wrote a play, edited and revised it with her drama teacher, and then co-directed a production of it which ran last May -- and she was in a musical and a "straight play," too. So she goes into 9th grade with a high-school credit for drama (because that's all WAY more than I did in my high-school drama class).

Art: She's working her way through projects in the Usborne Art Treasury and several other books, plus reading about artists she likes. She constantly has different art/design projects going, so I have her log them. My sister-in-law is a painter, and we're going to her opening tomorrow -- so we have a firsthand entree into the world of a working artist, as well.

Home Economics: She took a sewing class this summer, so that got us started on a Home Ec elective. We just log any sewing, knitting, cooking, menu-planning, budgeting . . . plus there are some project ideas in the CHC High School of Your Dreams, which we are using as a spine for high school.

Music: choir and violin

Civics/goverment (not an elective, but I just thought of it): the father of one of my old friends is running for City Council, so we're all volunteering to work on his campaign. It might take us a couple of years to finish this "course," but this experience will be a good start.

And now I have to run fetch my after-school-care child from school! Fun to see what everyone will be doing.

Pax,

Sally

Back to Top View SallyT's Profile Search for other posts by SallyT Visit SallyT's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Wow, Sally. This is a lot!

Would you be willing to review the MODG biology syllabus? We are thinking about doing it for 10th grade (we are currently using the Natural History syllabus for 9th grade).

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I'd be happy to review it -- I'd better look at it again! We actually just worked through some of the All Creatures book last year, which I've heard some people say they don't like, but we kind of did. It's on the boring side, but in subjects which she doesn't naturally gravitate to, my daughter has come to like the read-and-answer-questions approach -- having review questions seems to help her focus and reread so that she retains what she's read. We had a funny CM-narration moment while doing the Kingsom Protista -- we were reading through the chapter together, and suddenly she sprang from her bed, where she had been sitting and knitting while I read aloud, and proceeded to do these wacky dances: the "Amoeba," where you sort of do a flowing motion and then fling out one arm as if to grab something; the "Paramecium," where you flap your hands like many tiny cilia; and the "Euglena," where you thrash one arm over your head in imitation of a flagellum. I wish I'd had the means to videotape it.

We'll see how the year goes -- she's very excited about doing the co-op and has been reading ahead to get ready for it. It will be nice -- I hope! -- to have some structure to keep us on track. Everything else we will be very relaxed about. Our English will largely cover history -- we'll use texts and lectures to fill in gaps there. Biology we're doing in slow-motion. Electives we're doing in slow-motion. I gave her some of that grid paper that accountants use for bookkeeping, and she's designated columns for the subjects she's either required to do, interested in doing, or has found herself doing ("Hey, I've been sewing a lot -- I could call this Home Ec!"). I just have her log in how long she spent doing something, and when she's got enough hours, or when it really seems that she's done as much as she would do in a school class, then I'll give her credit for it. So some things we will definitely finish this year, while others we won't. I'll have to look back at her records -- we use an umbrella school, as per our state law, so we submit grades twice a year and follow some guidelines regarding high-school credits -- but it seems to me that I also gave her credits for music and for speech and debate, which she did last year. So if it takes us longer to do this year's crop of electives, that's all right, because she already has some recorded on her transcript.

Anyway, I hope all that makes sense! And I'd love to review the MODG syllabus, but maybe a little later in the year, when we've lived with it a bit.

Pax,

Sally

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

SallyT wrote:
I'd be happy to review it -- I'd better look at it again! We actually just worked through some of the All Creatures book last year, which I've heard some people say they don't like, but we kind of did. It's on the boring side, but in subjects which she doesn't naturally gravitate to, my daughter has come to like the read-and-answer-questions approach -- having review questions seems to help her focus and reread so that she retains what she's read....Anyway, I hope all that makes sense! And I'd love to review the MODG syllabus, but maybe a little later in the year, when we've lived with it a bit.

This makes complete sense, and I look forward to hearing your review. My ds is similar, in that when he doesn't particularly like a subject, sometimes the cut and dried method is the simplest way to get through it. I like that there are projects in it that are not textbooky. That is what is drawing me to it. I can't seem to find another biology program that is less textbooky than this one, and high school science is the one subject I don't feel like I can self design.

~Books

LH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote LH

How is 9th grade coming along?

I have a student taking
Apologia Biology
Chalkdust Algebra
Henle Latin

Came over here to see what 4Real high schooling was all abuot
Back to Top View LH's Profile Search for other posts by LH

obriens61
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote obriens61

My 9th grade daughter and I are actually enjoying the discussions resulting from the Fr. Laux religion text. The MODG assignments are refining her writing skills too.

We're also using Apologia Physical Science, Rosetta Stone Spanish, and MODG US History and American Literature. Besides Warriner's Grammar and Composition, she's taking a journalism class in our co-op, taught by a magazine editor who lives in our area. She takes Geometry and Spanish at the co-op too.

Music has kept her busy this year because she auditioned and made the youth symphony orchestra and university children's choir. She also takes private flute and piano lessons.

Swim team 10 months/year fulfills our PE requirement.

So far she's keeping up, but has to work hard to do so. I've been proud of her growing maturity and time management skills this year.

I can't picture my sons in 8th grade working at this pace next year....but we'll take one year at a time!

Back to Top View obriens61's Profile Search for other posts by obriens61 Visit obriens61's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Wow, everyone has such great plans and ideas! Here I am, the middle of Oct and still floundering a bit. To be fair, we had a big upheaval this summer/fall with our move - we sold our house in July (in Ga), moved in with MIL while we house-hunted, then just moved into our new house here in Md 2 weeks ago. We did some school while staying with MIL, but very limited b/c of space constrictions, etc.

That said, here is what my 9th grade ds is *supposed* to be doing at this point:

Spanish - continuing the Seton book 2 days/week for grammar, and Rosetta Stone 3 days/week
English - Voyages in English for grammar, almost finished (last year's text that we started in mid-year)
   IEW - need to get that back out and do more indepth work
math - Algebra II from Teaching Textbooks - going well.
Religion - MODG syllabus with Fr. Laux books
Science- MODG Natural History syllabus
History - I have a MODG syllabus for world history that I had to special request from Emmanuel; it's not in their catalog. it's based on Christ the King, Lord of History (Carroll). We aren't doing it all b/c we've covered a lot of ancient history and up through the Reformation 2 yrs ago. We are going to start with the beginning of Islam, though, and re-cover that period since it is so appropos in today's world to have a better understanding of it. We'll also revisit the reformation a bit and then continue on with world history, primarily western civilization in order to have background for 20th century American history later this year.

Typing Instructor Deluxe CD-ROM
Geography - I have The Ultimate Timeline and Geography Guide for all my kids. I will use some of the ideas in it loosely for ds, along with mapwork on the world history areas we study.

We are looking into an art class that is local for homeschoolers but is only once/month.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Karen T wrote:

History - I have a MODG syllabus for world history that I had to special request from Emmanuel; it's not in their catalog. it's based on Christ the King, Lord of History (Carroll).

What's this? I didn't know there were other syllabi available???

Our year is going well.

Alg 1--Teaching Textbooks

Am. History--self designed

Intro. to Lit--modified from Kolbe's Jr. High Lit. program (very pleased with this, btw)

Grammar/Vocab--one year of Easy Grammar Plus and a year of Vocab/spelling

Science--MODG Natural History (*loving* this!)

Intro. to scriptures--self designed based on Kreeft's You Can Understand the Bible.

When I do this with the next child, I think I will reduce the amount of work I scheduled for American history. I'm thrilled with the results, but its a lot of work...

I'm also debating whether I will have the next child use the Natural History syllabus for 10th instead of 9th. It takes a certain amount of maturity to really understand King Solomon's Ring and Fabre's Book of Insects...

~Books

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Our year is going well as far as courses and materials go. We are doing:

Geometry - TT. It was actually back ordered so we just received. In the meantime she review Algebra I.

Through Classical Conversationswe are doing:

American Literature

Biology -Apologia I did buy the MODG biology syllabus to help me to insert a Catholic perspective into it.

Latin - Henle I

Economics (fall semester) using Penny Candy, Money Mystery and the Bluestocking Guide.

Philosophy (winter semester): using Sophie's World as a text

Debate (fall semester)

American Government (winter semester)

Shakespeare they are reading the Taming of the Shrew

For Religion we are using Introduction to Scripture from the Didache series. Great Book! We are taking it very slowly because all the reading she has to do for other subjects.

We are also doing (very slowly) 20th century history. For this I am using a combination of
Student's Friend, Mater Amabilis and some of the suggestions from SL supplemented by some movies and documentaries.

She also works in her Spanish, more to keep it up than to fulfill a high school requirement. She just finished the book she started last year So You Want to Learn Spanish Book 2 and I am not sure what approach I am going to take with this.

The hardest part of this year, for me, has been the knowledge that this is HIGH SCHOOL. I feel tense thinking that everything has to count. I am also on a learning curve as far as keeping records and giving grades. This is something I have never done very well. So I feel stressed out

It is fun to read about what others are doing.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My Year 9 son is doing:

Algebra
Traditional Logic 1 (going slow on that one)
Henle Latin
Hey Andrew Greek
Stanford Vocabulary

Prentice Hall Earth Science
plus Natural History resources (right now, reading King Solomon's Ring)

various religion resources (right now, reading CS Lewis Mere Christianity)

various Literature resources (mostly British literature with emphasis on Shakespeare)

history hasn't really gotten off the ground yet.
ditto, the writing -- we are using the Progym.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

dizzylaurel
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote dizzylaurel

My dd is also in 9th grade; here is our year:

English -- 1/2 credit course in public speaking at our homeschool learning center, and 1/2 credit in grammar and composition using her independent reading/writing at home.

Math -- After the first quarter with Key Curriculum Press "Key to....Algebra", we just switched to Math U See Algebra I...I'm actually excited to think that I might understand what I'm teaching for a change!

Science -- Apologia Physical Science with labs...have to check some of their writing, but so far physical science has been pretty straight forward.

History -- self designed course using a multi-media set from the History Channel...weekly DVD's, along with questions for discussion/essays, and a list of vocabulary and follow up activities. I also make up my own quizzes here and there. We supplement with real books, historical fiction, and field trips when we can

Latin I -- Latin Lingua at homeschool learning center.

She is also taking Music Theater, Chorus, History of American Music, and World Geography via Broadway classes at the learning center. It's a heavy courseload for a freshman, but so far she is doing well in all her classes.

Plodding Toward Holiness
Back to Top View dizzylaurel's Profile Search for other posts by dizzylaurel Visit dizzylaurel's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

My freshman ds is studying:

Great Books (Angelicum Academy) Greek Literature I
Finishing Algebra I (Teaching Texbook) beginning Geometry
Henle Latin I
Writing--IEW
Confirmation notebook including Understanding Scripture (Didache) and Elizabeth Foss's confirmation plan.
Natural History (now reading Fabre's Book of Insects)
Material Logic (Memoria Press)
History--RC History starting at the beginning with the Rhetoric Level

So far, so good although he did not like King Solomon's Ring. Perhaps the level is too advanced for him although he loves the Greek Literature. He does not participate that much in the discussion as of yet. Hopefully this will change!

He is also working on his Eagle Project which is taking quite a bit of time, but needs to be completed before we move.

He is also trying to learn a little Welsh, so we won't be totally lost when we arrive!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Bookswithtea wrote:
Karen T wrote:

History - I have a MODG syllabus for world history that I had to special request from Emmanuel; it's not in their catalog. it's based on Christ the King, Lord of History (Carroll).

What's this? I didn't know there were other syllabi available???

I think that is the only one not listed in the catalog and I'm not sure why it's not. I guess it's not a usual part of the MODG sequence, but someone had mentioned it to me and I called and asked for it. It's called World History and Literature syllabus, if anyone wants to call on it. here is what is says in the introduction:

This course is designed to be used in several ways. Its difficulty level, when used without modifications, is between Grades 9-10 (sic). This course focuses on cultural history, not the advancement and development of government. Thus it is designed to be used for regular education students who hae done American History in Grade 8 and are not yet ready for the Grade 10 Ancient History, because either student' s writing skills or reading skills are not yet advanced enought or student is not yet in rhetorical stage. It can also be used for students who are enrolling in Grade 10 adn plan to do American History in Grade 11.

Then it goes on to talk about using it for special ed. students as well, with modifications.

If done as written, it is for 1 Literature credit and 1 history credit. It follows Christ the King, Lord of History as a spine and also has a pretty extensive additional reading list - the student chooses an additional book about every 3-4 weeks I believe. There is a 750 word paper every other week, either from some topic from the text, or from the additional reading. She lists 2 lists of books for each period, one listed hard, one listed medium. Examples of "hard" are The Song of Roland, Beowulf, Ivanhoe, The Ballad of the White Horse, MacBeth, Othello, Murder in the Cathedral, etc. Examples of "medium" are Beorn the Proud, Fingal's Quest, Augustine Came to Kent, Song of charlemagne, St. Dominic and the Rosary, If all the Swords in England, etc.
Ds has read most of the "medium" books on her list when we studied this period 2 yrs ago, so he would choose from the hard list this go-round.

I had also picked up the workbook for CtK from Emmanuel Press before I got the MODG syllabus. It's got fill-in-the blanks, T/F, etc. for each chapter. I don't like that kind of busywork but it's just what ds would want. I plan to use it for some of the periods we've done before, just for a break from some of the writing. Or maybe as a quiz.
hth
Karen

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

It seems like a lot of us are using MODG's Natural History this year. Ds has actually liked reading King Solomon's Ring so far, and he did come up with a project idea but has since discarded it as "too much work" and has not come up with another one yet. I'd love to hear what some of your kids' projects are going to be. fwiw, his original idea was similar to their fish idea in the syllabus, but he was going to test whether guppies bred better with light or no light (He and dh had several fish tanks back in our old house, but all had to be dismantled for our move and we haven't even begun to set them up again - we have less room in this house and I'm not sure where they are going to go)

Karen T

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My daughter studied birds when she did MODG NH, and my oldest son studied ants.   My second son studied trees. That syllabus was one of the all time favorites in our house, though we did more reading and less drawing and IDing than the syllabus called for.   

My present high schooler using NH hasn't chosen a project yet and doesn't seem to be enjoying King Solomon's Ring as much as the others did, but we'll see.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Karen T wrote:

I think that is the only one not listed in the catalog and I'm not sure why it's not. I guess it's not a usual part of the MODG sequence, but someone had mentioned it to me and I called and asked for it. It's called World History and Literature syllabus, if anyone wants to call on it. here is what is says in the introduction:

This course is designed to be used in several ways. Its difficulty level, when used without modifications, is between Grades 9-10 (sic). This course focuses on cultural history, not the advancement and development of government. Thus it is designed to be used for regular education students who hae done American History in Grade 8 and are not yet ready for the Grade 10 Ancient History, because either student' s writing skills or reading skills are not yet advanced enought or student is not yet in rhetorical stage. It can also be used for students who are enrolling in Grade 10 adn plan to do American History in Grade 11.

Then it goes on to talk about using it for special ed. students as well, with modifications.

If done as written, it is for 1 Literature credit and 1 history credit. It follows Christ the King, Lord of History as a spine and also has a pretty extensive additional reading list - the student chooses an additional book about every 3-4 weeks I believe. There is a 750 word paper every other week, either from some topic from the text, or from the additional reading. She lists 2 lists of books for each period, one listed hard, one listed medium. Examples of "hard" are The Song of Roland, Beowulf, Ivanhoe, The Ballad of the White Horse, MacBeth, Othello, Murder in the Cathedral, etc. Examples of "medium" are Beorn the Proud, Fingal's Quest, Augustine Came to Kent, Song of charlemagne, St. Dominic and the Rosary, If all the Swords in England, etc.
Ds has read most of the "medium" books on her list when we studied this period 2 yrs ago, so he would choose from the hard list this go-round.

I had also picked up the workbook for CtK from Emmanuel Press before I got the MODG syllabus. It's got fill-in-the blanks, T/F, etc. for each chapter. I don't like that kind of busywork but it's just what ds would want. I plan to use it for some of the periods we've done before, just for a break from some of the writing. Or maybe as a quiz.
hth
Karen

Thanks for the review, Karen! I didn't know about it. I agree...the medium level books are stuff we have read already. I know I am covering world history next year, but I haven't preread CTK yet. I need to do that this year and figure out if I want to use it or not...sigh...too many books, not enough time...

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Karen T wrote:
It seems like a lot of us are using MODG's Natural History this year. Ds has actually liked reading King Solomon's Ring so far, and he did come up with a project idea but has since discarded it as "too much work" and has not come up with another one yet. I'd love to hear what some of your kids' projects are going to be. fwiw, his original idea was similar to their fish idea in the syllabus, but he was going to test whether guppies bred better with light or no light (He and dh had several fish tanks back in our old house, but all had to be dismantled for our move and we haven't even begun to set them up again - we have less room in this house and I'm not sure where they are going to go)

Karen T

Well, the plan at the moment is to choose two different varieties of meat chickens, feed and raise them exactly the same way, and see which one thrives the best, which ones grow the most, etc...This requires a barn or shed of some sort, and we haven't worked *that* out yet, though...We have been talking about getting meat chickens and hens for 2 years now, so we'll see if it happens...

~Books

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version