Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: How many of us are doing 9th grade Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Carole N. wrote:
And since I was out there, I looked at the Latin. MODG has a new syllabus for Latin I that covers Units 1-7, and a second that covers Units 8-14. It includes quizzes, etc. Do you feel that Henle 1 requires this much work? Or do you think the Memoria Press is sufficient.

Carole,I just realized I didn't answer your questions about Memoria Press. The course she took online uses what MP calls latin I. it only covers Units 1-2 of the Henle book. Next fall they are changing things around and having some different choices. The teacher (Mr. Cothran) said for the people who did the course this year and wanted to count it as High School credit they could do it if the child did all the extra work )like flash cards and some other things. He said that the course covers lets material but more in depth. I hope this answers your question.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Natalia wrote:
Leonie,
Since you have seen both, how do the Didache series compares to Fr. Laux books?

Natalia

Well, I like both - just not both at the same time, iykwim?

I think they both provide thorough answers and understanding. The Fr Laux books do not mention any encyclicals from more modern popes, for example - nothing from JP2, etc, because they are reprints of older books.The Didache books we have rely heavily on post Vatican 2 documents and don't reference a lot of older encyclicals; they do, however, have great quotes from the CCC- so I think the two provide a balance.

Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2007 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

I don't have time to write much right now but wanted to comment on Health before I forgot to. We use MODG and I was going to use their Health with my 9th and 10th but my consultant recommended against this saying it was for more 'mature' young adults - geared to 17 and 18yo. So I've used the ABEKA health book this year to get in our required Health and I think it is really pretty good for a text book anyway - it covers a lot in a painless way - for those students that just want to ge the requirement done and the parent who wants them to work as indep as possible.

Gotta get dinner on the table....
Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Theresia,
Thank you so much for the advice about Health. What kind of things are covered in a Health course? I have heard about the Abeka book but had forgotten. Where do you purchase Abeka?

Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

WJFR wrote:
Science -=- in the past we've used a combination Biology/Natural History using Apologia plus various books from MacBeth's list and the MODG Natural History list.   This is what we will probably do again if we can't think of anything better for the science text.   Maybe I will have to check out Prentice Hall.

Willa,
You sound a bit reluctant on the MODG bio/natural history; could you elaborate? I was thinking of this for my 9th grader next year also. Is it too dry? I love biology so I'm hoping this will finally be a good science year for us. MODG uses Apologia bio I think. We used their Astronomy book back in 6th grade but I understand this is a different author, and of course a much more advanced course.

We'll be doing IEW for writing, finishing up Spanish I (from Seton), starting Algebra II using Teaching Textbooks, Voyages in English for grammar, Ultimate Geo and timeline guide for geography, and finishing up American history from the late 1800's to the present, merging into modern world history. Haven't decided what to use as a spine,but I use lots of different book lists.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Karen,
What are you looking at for modern history? I wanted to do 20th century history. I looked at Sonlight but their course includes a lot of books that I wouldn't hand to a 9th grader. Can you share your book lists and your possibilities for a spine?

Natalia

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Karen T wrote:
You sound a bit reluctant on the MODG bio/natural history; could you elaborate? I was thinking of this for my 9th grader next year also. Is it too dry? I love biology so I'm hoping this will finally be a good science year for us. MODG uses Apologia bio I think. We used their Astronomy book back in 6th grade but I understand this is a different author, and of course a much more advanced course.

I don't like Apologia too much and my kids have especially disliked the Biology text.... the style of the Wile textbooks doesn't appeal to them.    It might work better if it was taught by a mom who liked Biology already.   

We loved the Natural History course. It's been one of the top successes in our house for a high school course.

My only problem with a literature approach to science in high school is that I worry about transcripts if the kids apply to a more conventional type of college (right now the college-bound children have set their sights on Thomas Aquinas College and the Natural History course prepares them very well for that).

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Natalia wrote:
Karen,
What are you looking at for modern history? I wanted to do 20th century history. I looked at Sonlight but their course includes a lot of books that I wouldn't hand to a 9th grader. Can you share your book lists and your possibilities for a spine?

Natalia

Actually, I haven't done anything yet    we've been so focused on our upcoming move I'm way behind on planning for next year. But, I do use readingyourwaythroughistory.com for a lot of my books. I'll post some more ideas soon.

karen

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

OK Karen. I understand. I am way behind also. When you have time, I'll love to see what you are looking at.

Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Natalia,
Are you a member of the yahoo group The History Place? If so, there are some reading lists in the files and one is specifically 20th century history. I just glanced through it and will print it out and compare with www.readingyourwaythroughhistory.com and see how they compare. This is what I usually do, take multiple lists compare and combine, then get realistic about our time, what books are available from the library, used, etc. before coming up with anything final.
I haven't looked at Sonlight this year; they didn't send me a catalog automatically since I didn't order from them last year at all, so I don't have their list, but I usually do cross-check against theirs too!
Karen T

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks Karen> I never heard of that list. Could you tell me more about it?

Re SL I am actually reading through their books myself. So far I have read:

Alas, Babylon

Brave New World

The Contender

Cry, the Beloved Country and,

I am currently reading Darkness at Noon.

I have liked the books but I won't have my dd read them. Maybe I would have her read Cry, the Beloved Country. it is a beautiful book but, I am not sure she would really appreciated. I think that most of SL books for 2oth century history are too mature for a young 14.

I have forgotten about readyourwaythroughhistory.com I have to go back to their sight and see their list again.

Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Here is the link for The History Place

It's not usually a high volume list so it's not overwhelming. It's specifically for Catholic homeschoolers and limited to history.

Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

WJFR wrote:

We loved the Natural History course. It's been one of the top successes in our house for a high school course.

My only problem with a literature approach to science in high school is that I worry about transcripts if the kids apply to a more conventional type of college (right now the college-bound children have set their sights on Thomas Aquinas College and the Natural History course prepares them very well for that).

In looking back over MODG's various science syllabi, I realized the intent is to take biology in 11th grade, and the combined course is for kids who need to take another advanced science in 12th, like physics or Bio II, etc. (where does she put Chemistry?)
Anyway, since ds is not "into" science at least not yet, I think pushing him with the combined course would be crazy at this point. I took biology in 9th grade, so that's why it seemed to make sense to me. Now I'm thinking maybe we'll just do the Natural History course alone, and then do biology alone next year.

Karen T

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

We just finished 9th grade (2006-2007) and here are the hits and misses-

Religion- MODG using the Fr. Laux texts. My daughter was bored, bored, bored. She could do this in her sleep. It DID help her learn to outline a little better though.

Latin- Latin Road to English Grammar III (we started LRTEG I in 7th grade... it's the equivalent of a 2 year high school level Latin program, spread over 3 years and heavy on using Latin to better see English grammar.) Loved it! DD is reading "Harry Potter" in Latin this summer, and says it's quite doable!

SAT prep- Vocabulary from Classical Roots C and D. Very good.

Algebra/ Physics- we enrolled in Regina Coeli Academy. She hates these subjects. Did poorly. My own fault for not keeping an eye on her at the computer.

Humanities (history, literature, composition) we also enrolled with RCA for this and it was FANTASTIC. Dd learned a lot, really improved her writing skills, and the weekly Socratic discussions were very good. I especially liked the Catholic worldview in all these subjects. Worth the money!

I won't have to teach 9th grade again until 2008-2009. I think I'll probably do the same thing- except maybe the math/ science block. On the other hand, dd had problems, but ds LOVES math and science.

Peace,
Macmom
Back to Top View Macmom's Profile Search for other posts by Macmom Visit Macmom's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks Macmom, I appreciated your list. It is always helpful to know what have worked (or not) for others.

Macmom wrote:
Religion- MODG using the Fr. Laux texts. My daughter was bored, bored, bored. She could do this in her sleep. It DID help her learn to outline a little better though.

What was boring about it? the material itself or the assignments? I have not ordered my material for religion and have been debating between MODG, the Didache series and just working through Elizabeth's confirmation list.

Thanks,

Natalia

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

Re; Fr. Laux books. My daughter was already quite familiar with the material. Sometimes, I would ask her the questions at the end of the chapter BEFORE she had read the chapter, and she already understood what the answer was.

I guess it would depend on your own child. Look at the MODG recommended books for yourself, and decide if it's just repeating previous years. We do a lot of reading in theology and morality. My dd reads Amy Welborn, as well as Scott Hahn and GK Chesterton, so all of the Fr. Laux information in the books was old hat to her.
Back to Top View Macmom's Profile Search for other posts by Macmom Visit Macmom's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

My son Andrew is starting 9th grade this fall, so obviously I was happy to see this topic addressed. Then I found myself mortified to find out that the original postings came from April!! April??? How do you people do this? I am never that far ahead. I do have my son enrolled in St. Thomas Aquinas Academy, but I am never thinking about what I am going to be teaching the following year until, say NOW?? I will be having a phone conversation with my academic advisor on August 23rd to set up next year's work. Then I will have to work like the dickens all weekend to order all their books so that we can start school the second week of September. Andrew is very much into music this year, so that will be our focus. However, I have to let you know that I am in AWE of all of you who probably will be getting sleep for the next month because all of your books have already been ordered. Some of you probably even have lesson plans already...YIKES!
Back to Top View Lara Sauer's Profile Search for other posts by Lara Sauer

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2007 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Macmom
I have been told that the Fr Laux books are rather dry. Would you agree with this?

Did you start your dd with Welborn, Hahn and Chesterton in grade nine or prior?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

My dd loves to read. She started Welborn and Hahn in 7th grade or so, and added Chesterton to that during the summer. I have to laugh, because she starts off most of her essays for theology or history now with a Chesteron quote for a hook! She reads Asimov, Austen, some Tolstoy... all the good stuff!

Laux books are thorough, but dry. We are going to try Regina Coeli's on-line theology course for 10th grade this year, and see if she likes it. It's open to 9th graders as well. Its a 4 year cycle that goes through all 4 parts of the catechism, taught by a priest.

Peace,
Macmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Macmom
My dd is a huge reader too What Chesterton books would you recommend? How do you use Welborn and Hahn? Does she just read them, do you discuss it or...?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version