Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Literature for high school ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Chari

ALmom wrote:
Also, I found some CHC plans for GK Chesterton works and Murder in the Cathedral by TS Eliot. I've been impressed by a lot of their stuff so we're ordering those. More of it covers the Middle Ages time period, but Ballad of the White Horse is about the ongoing conflict between paganism and Christianity. I really think we'd like to do that one.

Janet

Janet, will you please let us know what you think about these once you get them???

Thanks!!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks for the info, Willa. I like your idea of using labels to cover over the offending parts of books. Once I blacked out all the offensive parts of an otherwise good book for the children, whereupon they discovered they could read THRU the blacked-out parts when holding the page to the light. Sigh.

BTW, did you see that the islas program has a Tolkein and Middle Earth course going on? I thought of your LOTR's fan dd when I saw that!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2005 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

WJFR wrote:
    WE kept a sort of running "theme" which we discussed in light of the different books. It was about the power of imaginative literature in portraying truth, and how fiction can reflect a deeper truth of the spirit even sometimes when the author isn't religious (as long as he is faithful to observed reality). That's how we approached the literary analysis selections I mentioned.       

Willa, can I pick your brain? I love the idea of a theme, and your specific theme, especially since my 12th gr. ds has discovered literature (especially fantasy) and philosophy and apologetics - all at once! Now, I have a very rusty liberal arts background - but it's the math and science that have stayed with me more, as far as how to teach it (my MA is in math). I'm at a loss as to how to teach literature. Any resources/ideas you can share?

Thanks,

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Dear Anne Marie,

I like everything pretty much everything by Tolkien, GK Chesterton and CS Lewis.   Here's a list of books I've found more or less useful on this topic or that I've had my son read.

On Stories by CS LEwis

Poetic Knowledge by James Taylor

On Fairy Stories by JRR Tolkien -- this one is online or the book version

Poetics by Aristotle
or online

Landscape with Dragons by Michael O'Brien

The following aren't exactly on the theme, but I mentioned them earlier so I thought I'd provide the links since my ds did read them.   Flannery O'Connor was a solid, devout Catholic who wrote thoroughly modern literature and so I used her book as a springboard to discuss modern literature that is "realistic", rather than the more fantasy-oriented Lewis/ Tolkien type.

Mystery and Manners by FLannery O'Connor

Tenets for Readers and Reviewers (Kolbe's catalog)

These following two are Protestant and sort of similar to Michael O'Brien's book but they are interesting to read:

Reading Between the Lines

Children of a Greater God

I didn't do anything formal with him on the theme but here are a couple of literature study guides that look interesting (haven't seen them personally):

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Novel Inquiries Book Three (scroll down the page to see it) -- this one's from a Catholic perspective.

I hope this helps a bit. I will try to think a bit about writing out more on HOW we did it. Basically, every time he read a book we would discuss what it said about that particular theme.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2005 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Thanks, Willa!

Sean's read Landscape with Dragons(and wants to argue with Michael O'Brien about his views on dragons. . . Sean read and loved Eragon). I'd love to hear more about the "how" if and when you have time, in the meantime, you've given me a lot to read through and think about!

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2005 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I feel the way your ds does and so do my teens.   I don't believe symbols are as "fixed" as O'Brien says. Plus, we like Star Wars. Still, reading his book has led to several interesting discussions around here

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

WJFR wrote:

I didn't do anything formal with him on the theme but here are a couple of literature study guides that look interesting (haven't seen them personally):

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

We have this, and are going to use it with our 13yo son this coming schoolyear (he'll be in 8th grade)! I found it at our state convention, and I knew he would just LOVE it! I wanted something he'd love, so I paid the hefty price for it. I just needed something a bit more done for me for him. I can't plan everything out every year.

It is a wonderful treasure though! I'll post more about it as we use it throughout the year!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Chari,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have had a chance, finally to look over the Ballad of the White Horse and study guide from CHC. I liked it - and think it will be very useful for us.

It gives a good description of various literary techniques, rhyme schemes, alliteration, consonance, etc. All things of which I am pretty ignorant. It leads the student to break down some of the stanzas identifying rhyme scheme etc. It also gives historical background information and does address the study guide author's particular interpretation. For some, it may be too didactic, but it is well suited for my dd and gives me the technical vocabulary I am missing.

Now ,everyone can have a good laugh. After all this gyration, our daughter found out about a British Lit class for 4 or 5 girls (2 of whom she knows through music)and decided she really wanted to do this. We have decided it is a good opportunity to make sure she gets to discuss real literature and will involve some oral presentations. Unfortunately, she will be reading some things that she has already read - like Beowolf, but what she really needs is discussion opportunities. They will also be asked to chose some independent reading to present to the class, so we still might get to do GKC with her. If not, I know I'll use it with dd #2 for 9th grade.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

OOps, I forgot to mention that this study guide is thouroughly Catholic as one would expect from CHC. It does address the references to Our Lady, has a question to the student about why GKC would use the term 1st crusade in his ballad. There is also a question about telescoping history. I really liked it - but it won't be an easy read!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version