Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tell We Why Tuesday - Blogging Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 28 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

And MaryM --
I obviously didn't pay enough attention in Geography/History classes because I had to look up "Basque" (and I cheated at that and just did wikipedia!) But that's neat! I like Exte Eliza -- if you switched, I'd still find you!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

I know the rest of you ladies will forgive me if I "borrow" this thread to say:

Happy Birthday, Mary M!!!

A day late but not necessarily a dollar short. Send me your address and I'll stick a nice crispy greenback in the mail!

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Oh, Pooh! I don't have time to catch up on this thread tonight, but I am SO enjoying hearing your stories. Mary M, one of the things on my TO Do list today was to send you a lovely e-birthday card. Science Club and Choir ate up my day. I am so glad Margaret mentioned it!

PS - One of my very, very favorite regions in France is Le Pays Basque. I have been lucky enough to spend a bit of time there and it is gorgeous and the food - delicious! Got to run, dh just walked in after a long day.

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, mine is not very creative, but her it is.
When dh and I first married we bought a beautiful farm in Florida. When thinking of a name to put on the mailbox I just kept thinking of how peaceful the place was, with big live oaks, pasture and pines. So I named it LaPAz Farm. Even though we no longer live there, and have in fact moved many times since then, I've carried the name with us wherever we go. Sort of like Lissa says about the Bonny Glen, LaPaz Farm is not a place but a state of mind.
I am not sure if we will keep it much longer, however, as we no longer live on a farm at all.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Our is the name of our homeschool. We look to the Holy Family as an example of how to live our lives. Not the we always live up to that image, but we try!

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2007 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

The name of my blog is so very simple, but the idea is baffling....just how/when did my babies grow up so fast?? I think Time - Really - Does - Fly and in doing so brings out a range of emotions...

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Elizabeth Barrett Browning is one of my favorite poets, and "Gladdest Hours" appears in her Poem The Deserted Garden

This is funny that this is coming up now. I just found out that my DAD IS READING YOUR BLOGS!!!!! Keep in mind that he is NOT Catholic, but all he talks about is the things he is reading and finds fascinating about all of your lives/your children/your homeschool/your Faith!   He mentioned that he finds the TITLES in and of themselves, absolutely fascinating!

I just MUST quote from his last letter:

"The names are rich with extra meanings, puns, language distortion, and incompletely hidden symbols of this wonderful sub-culture. Occasionally, I take a random selection from their and your well-provisioned stock of literature, and generally get a wholly edifying feeling that the world is perhaps in good hands. These homeschooling, devout, Catholic, wonderfully intelligent and articulate women are undoubtably doing everything they can to brighten the corners where they are. I do believe they are succeeding."

I can only hope that someday he will share the Holy Catholic Church with his grandchildren. (Sigh.....)

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote Helen

This is a fun thread!
My blog's name was inspired by St. Teresa of Avila's book, The Interior Castle (I wrote about my blog's name here. )

Basically, St Teresa describes the soul as a castle with many rooms. At the center of this castle is Christ. As I am consecrated to the Immaculate and wish all that I do to be consecrated to her as well, my blog is called
The Castle of the Immaculate.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Chari

WOW, Suzanne..........that is SO powerful, brings real tears to my eyes.

No doubt, if he keeps reading the blogs of all of these amazing women, he will not be able to help himself!    I will pray for him!

I love the quote, he is so articulate. I just think that is SO cool........wonder who else lurks on these blogs......anyone else know their parents are reading the blogs??

PS, Suzanne.....I have been meaning to ask you: you wanna go camping with us this summer? I just KNOW Meredith would love to have you there

....here's hoping I have the RIGHT friend

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2007 at 3:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'll second what Chari said - that is really touching about your dad and the blogs.

Praying.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

SuzanneG wrote:
This is funny that this is coming up now. I just found out that my DAD IS READING YOUR BLOGS!!!!! Keep in mind that he is NOT Catholic, but all he talks about is the things he is reading and finds fascinating about all of your lives/your children/your homeschool/your Faith!   He mentioned that he finds the TITLES in and of themselves, absolutely fascinating!

I just MUST quote from his last letter:

"The names are rich with extra meanings, puns, language distortion, and incompletely hidden symbols of this wonderful sub-culture. Occasionally, I take a random selection from their and your well-provisioned stock of literature, and generally get a wholly edifying feeling that the world is perhaps in good hands. These homeschooling, devout, Catholic, wonderfully intelligent and articulate women are undoubtably doing everything they can to brighten the corners where they are. I do believe they are succeeding."

I can only hope that someday he will share the Holy Catholic Church with his grandchildren. (Sigh.....)

Oh, Suzanne!

I just love your dad! The posts you've written about him and his thoughtfulness (your birch candle log)....

He's just a treasure!

What he wrote brought tears to my eyes, too!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

What a wonderful question!

My blog name just came to me one day - it seriously popped into my head out of the blue - but I knew immediately it was what I wanted. It is part of my favorite poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight ...

It struck me that, as mothers, we are always seeing to the daily needs of our family - in the sunshine or far into the dark hours "by candlelight." Mothering is a 24/7 gig - never a burden, but a true and immense blessing. It is our quiet and honorable duty to work steadfast for our family.

I also love the imagery of light, on so many levels.

I've loved that poem since I was a little girl. Do you know where I first heard it? A Charlie Brown Valentine. I kid you not.

Marjorie, if you are planning to do a carnival for this, I will certainly do a post and send you the link.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Happy late Birthday, Mary!

Suzanne, your Dad writes very well. Is he going to start his own blog?

Like Dawn, my blog name popped in my head one day. I've been a Pooh fan since (at least) 1st grade, and you've probably heard of Pooh's "Thotful Spot". Well, I knew my blog was going to be a place where I could get my thoughts and memories out of my head, but I just couldn't use the Pooh spelling for it, because it would bug me, so I spelled it properly.

I later thought that "My Pensieve" also would have worked, but when a named pops in your head, it's got to be the one.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Chari wrote:
   I just think that is SO cool........wonder who else lurks on these blogs......anyone else know their parents are reading the blogs??

Well, not my Dad, but my dh sometimes reads them. Especially if someone has left a comment on my blog, then he will click through to their blog and read.
In fact, he was just saying yesterday how much he enjoyed this post by Maria at Tatertots and Ladybugs. I have to agree. It was a real winner.

Oh, and ds is an AVID reader of S/V Mari-Hal-O-Jen!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

My Dad reads your blogs too. How funny! He does click through comments.
Suzanne, I love what your dad wrote. How beautiful!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Oh wow, I haven't been bloghopping, so thank you for sharing that post from Maria!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Here is a link to a post on why I choose Lettres de mon Moulin.   It means 'letters from my mill' and is the title of a book by Alphonse Daudet that I read back in college. His book is a collection of letters/stories about life in rural provence in the 19th century. Letters he wrote to his friends in cold, industrial Paris about the people, places, traditions and happenings in this little corner of beauty. For me our home and our family is notre petit moulin, a corner of love and goodness - mess and craziness too! I added the quote from John Muir "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." because that is what I hope our home will be. (Can you tell I love quotes?)

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I really like this thread. It's kind of like Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story.

I posted about why I chose the name Matilda here but the "waltzing" part came about for two reasons:

1. My favorite song in college was a version of Waltzing Matilda sung by some friends of mine and their Irish band. I think if my grandmother had heard their rendition she would have liked the name better!

2. I was a ballroom dancer. No, not the professional kind in the skimpy dresses cut down to there. Think "Arthur Murray" not "Lambada". A couple came to my high school band director asking for student volunteers. They would teach us how to dance and we in turn would perform for them as live advertising for their new dance studio. A friend of mine and I partnered up and took the lessons. I guess we were pretty good because the teaching couple offered to continue our lessons for free if we worked as assistants in their studio. We learned everything from the foxtrot to the tango. It was a blast!

I love dancing and have found that most of my frustrations become more manageable after putting on some fun music and twirling around the living room. My kids think I am crazy, but it actually keeps me sane!

My blog address is different from my name and the story of that can be found here.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

For some reason I can't get into blogspirit to write a post, so I'll just share here, not that there is much to tell.

"Among Women" was used as a reminder to me that I am truly blessed to live among my four daughters, and to remind me of the Virgin Mary.

I'm not sure what I'll do if I find out in a few weeks that my blog should be titled "Among Women and a Little Man"

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

amyable wrote:

I'm not sure what I'll do if I find out in a few weeks that my blog should be titled "Among Women and a Little Man"

Amy, you'll just have to write it from the little man's perspective, for he certainly will be blessed Among Women!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version