Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Little House Movie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

We just rented Disney's version of Little House on the Prairie that came out a few years back. I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I thought the actors were so true to the book - except poor Carrie, of course.    The casting was really well done as well. Especially when compared to the TV series, oh, this was SO much better! I hated the TV show and it turned me off of the books for a long time.
Is it wrong that I really liked this movie??

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I actually saw it at the movie store and shied away from it because I didn't like the TV show either. I thought it wouldn't be much different. Thank you for the review and we will put it on our list. My oldest daughter is reading the series right now. (I never did! )

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Is this the version, Little House on the Prairie y'all are talking about? I HATED the tv series when I was younger and then we tried to watch a couple last year when I was reading the series to the kids and it was horrible -- even to the kids! The first few shows are ok, but it quickly goes to 20th century mentality and philosophies!

I'd love to hear more about this one..... thanks for mentioning it Jennifer!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

That is the one I saw at the store. Maybe Jennifer could confirm if that is the one she watched.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, you guys are breaking my heart! I LOVED the TV show growing up and my dc love it, too! I have such fond memories of watching that show and dreaming of being Laura out on the prairie...
But it is good to know there is a movie to enjoy, too!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

My 7 year old dd just donated all the Little House TV videos she got from Grandma for Christmas. She LOVES the books and was VERY disappointed in the TV shows and couldn't wait for them to be out of the house. Maybe when she gets over the disappointment on those, I'll suggest the movie (though I'll watch it 1st this time to see if it's worth mentioning). I didn't know she could be so discerning at this age
Anyway, thanks for bringing up the movie!

Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Mary, yes that is the movie I mentioned. And there are some obvious problems - Carrie is completely omitted and Jack is not a bull dog (this bugged my 6yo) BUT the actors were almost truer to what I imagined the characters to be than the book itself in my opinion. Does that makes sense? The Ma in the movie made more sense to me than the Ma in the book. The story fairly closely follows the book.   There are some dramatized scenes as well.
You know, it all amounts to how much the movie matches the images you've created in your mind. And in this case, the movie far surpassed my expectations.

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

I haven't seen this movie so I was wondering - what time period does it cover? Just their time in Kansas or beyond? If I remember correctly, in real life, Carrie wasn't born until they were in KS. So is she omitted for some reason known only to the filmmakers or is it because it's more accurate for her not to be there?

I am also not a fan of the TV series. I was as a child, which led to my love of the books. But now, seeing them as an adult, I just cringe at some of the things going on. The real Laura would be appalled! Especially at the way they have her throwing herself at Almanzo to get him to notice her. And don't get me started on Albert, LOL!

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Theresa, I'm right there with ya! I still love to see the shows as reruns!

I know they aren't accurate but as a child I always adored this show. Escapism maybe...I WAS Laura!

And I had a crush on Albert

My deep dark secrets revealed,
JoAnna, who has nearly every book ever published related to LIW

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Lorri, It covers a bit in the Big Woods and up to leaving for Minnesota. I didn't know Carrie wasn't born until they got to Kansas - I am cringing at how much harder that trip had to be for Ma.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

mrsgranola wrote:

I know they aren't accurate but as a child I always adored this show. Escapism maybe...I WAS Laura!

I loved the show, too! My best friend and I watched it- I even pasted the tv guide's intro to the show into my LHITBW's front cover.   
I guess I liked the actors' portrayals of the characters. I also was a fan of Michael Landon's from "Bonanza," although I think I liked the theme music the best from that show.
I am rambling...
I liked them all, the books, show, but not the movie, that much.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

J.Anne wrote:
Lorri, It covers a bit in the Big Woods and up to leaving for Minnesota. I didn't know Carrie wasn't born until they got to Kansas - I am cringing at how much harder that trip had to be for Ma.

You know the part in LHOTP where the girls go off with Pa and collect Indian beads? When they come home, they find Ma with a new baby. I'll have to double check that but my Laura biography is upstairs and I'm NAK.

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

mrsgranola wrote:

JoAnna, I used to play Laura all the time, just from the show, before I could read the books. My aunt Mary, who was only 5 years older than me, played Mary, of course. And I was Laura. Mary and Laura, Mary and Lorri. LOL! I even had a sunbonnet.

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Wait Lori! Did she deliver the baby by herself????
And could you let me know which bio you have? I've been looking for a good one. All this Little House stuff is new to us because (again) I assumed the books were as icky as the show. Sorry to all the show fans out there!!

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

J.Anne wrote:
All this Little House stuff is new to us because (again) I assumed the books were as icky as the show. Sorry to all the show fans out there!!

I didn't like it growing up either. I never even read the books bc the show turned me off!

We read Farmer Boy in the fall and I loved it! I did buy the 1st season DVDs for the kids a couple of years ago in a desperate attempt for some more wholesome TV time, but no one is truly interested yet and I can't blame them.

However...after Farmer Boy I began to think maybe there is something to all of this LHOTP mania :)

We will start reading the series in the fall as a family with Little House in the Big Woods and going forward from there. I am wondering though if I should start w/ the Charlotte years though, you know so we can go in chronological order.

OK, back on track ...I might just have to check out this Disney movie though. This is the first I have heard about it.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

J.Anne wrote:
Wait Lori! Did she deliver the baby by herself????
And could you let me know which bio you have? I've been looking for a good one. All this Little House stuff is new to us because (again) I assumed the books were as icky as the show. Sorry to all the show fans out there!!

Nooo! LOL! One of "neighbors" came by for a visit, Pa took the girls out for a few hours and that's when Carrie came along.

They actually lived in the Big Woods twice. The first time is not what is depicted in the first book. Then they moved to KS, then returned to the Big Woods. It was the second time they lived there that the book is about.   so Carrie was already born. I think Laura had only intended to write the Big Woods book, but was encouraged to tell the rest of the story. That's how the order of the first two got reversed. And since she'd already put Carrie in LHITBW, she had to leave her there for LHOTP.

I've probably confused matters!

The book I have is "Laura Ingalls Wilder, A Biography" by William Anderson. It seems to be aimed at older children who have finished reading the series and want more, not at adults, but I like it. It's got pictures, too.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I just couldn't get over that Pa did not have a beard in the TV series. That was such an important part of his character to Laura.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, I, too, loved the TV show - at least the first several seasons (that is true of so many series though, that start out fine and got stupid as they ran out of ideas). Even though it didn't match up to the books in lots of ways, I still enjoyed it - basically because I loved TV, I think. It was pretty wholesome entertainment. I guess I took it on it's own more than as a reflection of the books. I had read the books before the series so that was my primary love. I also read a lot of LIW biographies as a pre-teen (after reading the books and watching the show) where I found the books didn't necessarily mesh completely with her real life. None of that mattered though - it was just all fun pioneer history. I so wanted to live in pioneer times and played lots of Little House, too. Now as an adult I am pretty thankful I don't - those poor women - that was really rough life for them. As a mom I look back on it all a little differently.

Bridget wrote:
I just couldn't get over that Pa did not have a beard in the TV series. That was such an important part of his character to Laura.

That always bugged me, too.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

I think the Disney version was on tv a couple years ago. Maybe over three weeks? I think we saw the first one and then missed the next two. My boys enjoyed it (especially the wolf scene) and I thought it did a much better job than the tv show of depicting the story (although I loved the series, at least the early years, as a kid). The covered wagon scenes really give you a great appreciation for your modern day road trip

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version