Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 6:12am | IP Logged  

Hi:

My name is Mary Gildersleeve and I'm on a bunch of CM and Catholic homeschooling eloops.

I'm married to Rick -- a middleschool/highschool teacher at a nearby Catholic school. He teaches religion and science.

I have Joe (15-1/2) who will be learning to drive soon -- please pray for us all He is also our "traditional school" boy, having been homeschooled for 2-1/2 years while we were in Austria. He loves socializing and his grades are kept at a minimum to allow him to have a social life.

Cate (13-1/2) is currently at the Catholic school with Joe and Rick. She will come home for high school as a freshman next year. She loves culture and languages -- having chosen no less than SIX to learn during high school. I had to explain to her that she does have to take other classes too -- we're still in the negotiation phase.

Thomas (6), Maggie (almost 5) are my "kindergarteners". Thomas is quickly learning to read and write and Maggie pals along for the ride. They are both visual learners and very artistic. Thomas will probably do the Mater Amabilis curriculum next year for 1st grade while I do Maggie as an official K next year.

Johannes-Paul (2), our Austrian "souvenir", rounds out the batch. Because he was born in "shadow of the alps", he is my climber -- in and out of everything and on top of all! He refuses to use words, but has no other developmental problems so I just chalk it up to his Polish/Irish stubbornness (yes, it's my fault).

I design hand-knits and write articles when I can fit it all in.

I love CM approach to educating my God-given gifts -- what a joy to teach them in a loving, hands-on way.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Blessings,

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged  

This message board is sooo awesome! Congratulations to Elizabeth and all the hosts and moderators! What a fantastic accomplishment and a great opportunity for Catholic Charlotte Mason/Edith Stein/Don Bosco/JPII devotees! Here we are sure to find hours (too many ) of confirmation of our beliefs, support for our homeschooling and friendships a plenty over the coming years!

My name is Amie and we have been homeschooling from 'the start'. My husband Andy is an amazing gift from God and the catalyst for my reversion to the Church. My son Michael is almost 7, and my daughter Rachel is 3. We also have had 3 miscarriages and are anxiously awaiting a birth in July. Please say a prayer for us!

My homeschooling journey began rather 'traditionally'. I read Mary Pride's books and enjoyed them. Then on to Mary Kay Clark's book. At Laura Berquist's book my 'freer thinking' began. After that, it was a long delving into all of Maria Montessori's writings and method. At this point I spent much time thinking, being frustrated and hoping there was more information for this journey.

My mil sent a copy of the book by Edith Stein and I heard my first sermon by a FSSP priest on Don Bosco in the same month. When my husband bought me a computer and hooked me up to the net I started making amazing progress! And of course very soon I came across my first Catholic Exchange article by Elizabeth Foss, which lead me to the CCM yahoo group and 4Real Learning. I have been completely hooked since. Homeschooling has become such an exciting adventure for us all!

My other interests include cooking, reading, some physical fitness, studying music, I hope to find time to scrapbook, the study of the four temperaments and continuing our journey toward heaven together as a family.

I eagerly anticipate many fruitful conversations on this message board. May God bless our words here together and keep us all in His holy fold!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

teajmj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged  

Hello Friends! I'm Bonnie Reynolds, from Midlothian, TX. We are about 25 miles south of Dallas, which is far enough and yet close enough...Like Willa, we are going on 11 years homeschooling, with dd 15, ds 12 and dd 8. We travel quite a bit with dh for his job with the USPS Insp. Gen, and we spent a whole year (2001-2)in various hotels while our home was gutted and mold abatement was done. It's wonderful to be here, virtually speaking, and great to see some familiar names as well. Great site Elizabeth and Smith family! God Bless, Bonnie

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 3:57pm | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone,
I am Irene in VA from the CCM group. I have 5 daughters, ages 2-10. Dh and I have been homeschooling from the beginning. (In fact, we attended our first Nache conference when I was expecting our oldest dd!) I have lived here in the suburbs of Washington, DC for most of my life. It's a great place to homeschool--lots of other homeschoolers nearby and plenty of great field trip destinations. We enjoy many aspects of a CM education, especially a living books approach to learning. I have never participated in a message board before, so, as I wrote to Janette, I feel like I am in a foreign land. Hope this goes through OK.

Teresa from SD
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged  

This is fun! I may need to have one of my dc teach me the ins and outs of a forum like this, though!

I'm Teresa Thornton, homeschooling mother of 4 dc, ranging from k-10th grades. The oldest three are girls and ds is youngest (poor guy--all those mothers!).

The forum looks so well planned out! What a gift to those of us who are homeschooling. Many thanks to all those who have worked so hard to get this up and running!

Blessings,

Teresa

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged  

Hi all! This is "stef in pa" from the CCM list. Just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone. Awesome board !

to everyone i haven't "met", i'm Stephanie, Catholic homeschooling mom of 4 in Northeast PA. our kids are 13-yo aisa, 8-yo paco, 6-yo migi and 3-yo yena. i'm into lots of things from gardening to cooking to writing, but more than anything books are our best friends -- our house is overflowing with books and we spend most days reading, reading, reading!!! dh works on diaper-making machines when he's not at home enjoying the kids with me. as a family we love to travel and log lots of miles each year. right now i'm working on a Filipino cookbook and a Tagalog course and those are what keep me busy, along with daily homeschooling and chores, of course! i'm also busy winter-sowing all kinds of flowers, herbs and vegetables. won't have much time to post here but i'll be sure to stop by and say hi from time to time. i've learned SO MUCH from the CCM list, want to say thanks to all the mods there (and now here) this forum is such a wonderful addition to the CCM treasury! perhaps one day i can say "thank you" to all of you by writing a CCM cookbook too....

take care and God bless,

stef in pa
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

I am new here and have never posted on, or even been a member of, a forum like this. The closest I've come is the Catholic Charlotte Mason yahoo group (which is how I found out about this place). It seems that proper thing to do here is to introduce myself and join in, I think :)

Anyway, I am married almost 8 years to my wonderful husband. I am a homeschooling mom to my daughter (almost 6), son (4 1/2), daughter (2), and daughter (almost 1). I really enjoy homeschooling and am very "mix and match" about what type of curriculum I use. I am drawn to CCM style because I want my children to love to learn and I see this as the best way to achieve that goal. As a "straight A" student myself who admittedly knows not very much other than how to take a test, I really want more for my children. The best thing I ever learned was how to use a library, which I learned from my mom, not school. I also am drawn to the family culture that homeschooling lends itself to, and the passing on of the faith to my children - where their faith is a part of life, not just a subject to study in school. As a cradle Catholic educated in Catholic schools all my life (kindergarten through graduate school), I still never learned the faith - devotions, prayers, Catechism, rosary, saints, etc. I am excitedly learning all these things and putting them into practice in our home.

If I have time for hobbies :) I enjoy reading, sewing, quilting, organizing, baking (cookies, brownies, etc.), playing sports (basketball, volleyball, swimming, etc.), and taking nature walks.

Thanks for listening! I look forward to learning how to use this chat board and getting some good homeschool advice from the "pros."

God bless,
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

helenofsnowball
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 4:01pm | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone!
Helen of Snowball here! So good to see so many familiar "faces" here!   Some quick facts about us: married to Wayland for 28 years now with 5 children! One of course is our daughter in law of one year! We are still homeschooling 3 of our children, Alan 17yo, Brian 15yo and Amanda 9yo. Bradley is married to Jenie and they just celebrated their first anniversary Feb.7. No grandbabies yet and no new babies at our house either but we are talking adoption again. Say a prayer that this will be fruitful talking!!
I look forward to learning so much here and hope that I can contribute something once in a while.
Love in Jesus through Mary with Saint Joseph,
Helen

http://www.glycoradio.com
Back to Top View helenofsnowball's Profile Search for other posts by helenofsnowball Visit helenofsnowball's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 4:36pm | IP Logged  

Hi all,

I am Jennifer, wife to Bill and mom to five blessings from 9 yrs. to 5
mos. We live in North Texas and have homeschooled from the
beginning; we are in our fifth year.   We use a classical/CM method
of learning, and seem to fare well (most days!).

I have lots of interests, but now, I mostly find time to read (while
nursing the baby), watch an occasional movie with the husband on
the week-ends (when the kids go to sleep and I don't conk out with
them!). I love spend time with the kids--hopefully outdoors-- now
that the weather is getting nicer. Sometimes, it does pay to live in
Texas!

I look forward to "meeting" you all! This is my first time on this type
of forum. Hope I'm doing this right!    

God Bless,
Jennifer in TX   
Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 5:46pm | IP Logged  

Hello all!
I am Mary Ann from PA. I actually know "stef from PA" from further up this thread!

I've been married for almost 27 years to my dh Michael who is a physician.
We've been blessed with 10 children: Elizabeth-25, Becca-22, Tim-20, Peter-18, Andrew-16, Sarah-14, Matthew-12, John-10, and Leah-7. Also our sweet saint in Heaven, Joseph, who died at nine days old.
This is my first year of homeschooling my three youngest. Matt is in 6th, Leah is in first, and John is my special needs 3rd grader. We are still feeling our way through it all and right now are using a mixture of things. I just finished 4 Real Learning and loved it! I am really enjoying our homeschooling adventure!
I love to cook, garden, read, and help new moms with breastfeeding.
I have lurked on CCM for a while and have gotten so much from it. I belong to other message boards and am excited to see this easy to use forum.
I am excited today. My oldest son just returned to the US today after a one year tour in Iraq!!!!
Looking foward to meeting you all!
Hi to Angie in AZ!!!

marie in CA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 8:50pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
I am Marie from So. Calif. and have been married for 12 years to my dh, Michael. We have two children both boys (8yo and 5mo). This is my first year HS and I am not too sure of what I am doing.
We started with TWTM since it really fits my style of teaching/learning but it doesn't fit my son's style.

He seems to learn more from a more relaxed approach. I am learning more about CM and unit studies and trying to merge them together ... but how? We are doing FIAR currently and he is really enjoying it.

I hope to learn much from everyone's posts.

Thank you for reading this intro.

Marie

dhbrug
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 9:40pm | IP Logged  

Hello

I am David Bruggeman and my wife Lana and I have been homeschooling 8 or 9 years. We have 6 children - Ariel 13, Eric 11, James 8, Peter 6, Clare 3 and Rose 8mths.

We are living in Georgia whilst I am on a work based transfer from Australia. We've been here 20 months and are still discovering exciting things in this amazing country.

I have been a member of the CCM list and Magnum Opus for some time. I think the board is a much more efficient way to manage a newsgroup, and I am impressed with the new look. Well done.

Cheers

David.
Back to Top View dhbrug's Profile Search for other posts by dhbrug Visit dhbrug's Homepage

Mary H
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 8:11am | IP Logged  

Hi all,

I am Mary from Cincinnati. My dh Mark and I have been married for 24 years and have 8 children . We have been hsing for 19 years, way back when no one heard of it. We started in Florida and then moved back to Cincinnati 13 years ago.

I am a founding member of our local Catholic support group. I used to own Parents' School Supply - an independent supplier of Catholic curricula. We have LD students (dyslexia), gifted students, a chronically ill student(leukemia)and just normal kids. This keeps me busy with trips to the hospital and tutors . I have 3 high school graduates, 2 post college and 1 currently attending Franciscan University of Steubenville. I will be a grandmother in July.

When I have time I like to read, quilt, cook, garden, socialize with other homeschoolers and sleep .

I have used Seton (1 year) and KONOS for many years. Now I just do a lot of rabbit trails because I never know when I have to drop everything and take care of an irritable baby or run to the hospital. I found that my kids learn no matter what I do as long as I do something with them.

I am glad that these lists exist because I feel much less isolated than I used to. Thanks to Elizabeth and all who work on them

Mary in Cincinnati

Shari
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 10:02am | IP Logged  

Hi,my name is Shari and I live with my husband amd six children in western New York. I have been homeschooling for 15 years and am currently teaching a 10th grader, two third graders and a kindergartener, all boys. My girls are done with homeschooling, one is a registered nurse and the other is a music major in college. We entered the Church at the Easter Vigil six years ago . I'm looking forward to sharing ideas here.

With love,
Shari
Back to Top View Shari's Profile Search for other posts by Shari

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 4:40pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Molly and I've been on CCM, magnum-opus and rabbit trails and now I'm here! I live in Purcellville VA with my husband, Rick, and my five children--Jeanne (9), Matthew (almost-7), Timmy (5), Sarah (2) and sweet baby Patrick (6 mos). I've been having some post-post partum issues that don't seem to be resolving themselves and I've been away from all my lists. Any tips from you all would be greatly appreciated! Anyway, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I love the new format.

Kimberly Hancoc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Kim and I live in Michigan. I already know many of you from my area or Charlotte Mason yahoo groups. My children are Erik (4.5), Henry (2.5), and Claire (just turned 1). I work part-part-time (3-7 hours a week) at a Montessori school 10 minutes from my home. It has been a great experience. I come home with new ideas to use with my kids every time I work. We haven't done any formal schooling yet. We do read lots of great books, listen to wonderful music, do art appreciation, and Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. I am looking forward to using the Mater Amabilis curriculum. I have been married for 5 years to Mark, a microcomputer specialist for a public library system.

Molly, I have experienced depression after babies 2 and 3. I plan to write more about that on the Loving Little Ones board.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you and learning more.

Back to Top View Kimberly Hancoc's Profile Search for other posts by Kimberly Hancoc Visit Kimberly Hancoc's Homepage

KathleenL
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 1:08pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
My name is Kathleen and my husband is Craig. Together, we're raising Katie (12), Anthony (8) and Mary Margaret (14 mos.). We've been a homeschool family for 3 years. This site was sent by a mom in our support group; and I'm quite excited by the posts I've seen so far.
Back to Top View KathleenL's Profile Search for other posts by KathleenL

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 2:52pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
Well it took me a while to read all 6 pages of introductions! There isn't a test is there. LOL!

I am Molly Davis from Stafford VA. I am married to Court and we have six children: Charlie (13.5), Sydney (9 in two weeks), Benjamin (7), Maria (5), Colette (3) and Kateri (18 months).

We have homeschooled basically from the start, although Charlie did go to a wonderful Catholic school for 2nd and 3rd grade. I felt that God was calling me to bring him home , so we returned to homeschooling in 4th grade.

Now I am struggling with teen issues and my own insecurities about whether I can do this well. I spend my time researching curricula, reading books on talking to teens and books on managing a home, all while pulling my toddler down from the piano, table, computer,etc.!   

Do I have hobbies? Well, I am learning to knit! And my husband bought me a guitar that I am embarrassed to say is collecting dust in a closet. Maybe when the baby stops climbing the walls, I will have time to sit.

Reading is really my hobby, both fiction and all kinds of how-to, self-help and spiritual books.

I am glad to be here and look forward to chatting and getting to know you all better!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged  

I found my way here via a friend who directed me to Magnum Opus where the moderator directed us here.

I live in south-central WI with my husband (10 years come June!) and 7 young children. We homeschool and I love the "hands-on" approach, though I have a long ways go to de-text-bookifying my brain.

I enjoy scrapbooking though I do more filing away than actually getting anything in the books. Guess I'll have something to do when the children are grown! I like cooking and baking. We enjoy "hiking" as a family (mind you that means walking on a trail to us!) And I really like board games.

I love music and art (mind you classical music and beautiful art!) and I love singing though I'm not very good, I did direct a choir for about 5 years at our parish.

I have an internet store called Julie's Stuff.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Julie

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

TKCAnne
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged  

Dear All,

This looks really neat! I had given up reading the Charlotte Mason list because I could not hope to keep up. Now maybe I'll be able to pick and choose topics.

My husband, Troy, and I have been blessed with six children. Madison is going to be 16 this summer. She is a Sophomore at a "building school." She was homeschooled through 8th grade. Colin is almost 13, Hunter is 10, Zoe is 7, Taran is 4, and Sophie is 17 months. They are all at home with us. Troy's office is in our home, so we are blessed to have him with us all the time and he is challenged by having us with him all the time!

I'm glad to be here!

Back to Top View TKCAnne's Profile Search for other posts by TKCAnne

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version