Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2005 at 3:10pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

My name is Mare! I heard about this wonderful board from Rabbit-trails. I've been married to dh for 7 years. We have 4 daughters - ages 5, 3, 3 and 3. Although I wasn't too sure, God knew what he was doing when I found out I'd have four children under the age of two. I just love my life!

I have a bit of an ecletic feel towards homeschooling. Right now, it is mostly Montessori, nature studies and lots of children's literature.

Peace,

Mare

P.S. Hi Tracy! It's good to see you here!

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2005 at 7:31pm | IP Logged  

This is Willa Ryan in the California Sierra mountains, mom to 7 on earth and 3 little ones with God.   My oldest is 18 and my youngest is 2.   My one daughter is going to be 15.   We've homeschooled for going on 11 years now.

Welcome you all! Neat to see some names I know from cyberspace (Hi Tracy Q and Bridget!), and people I've already met (Hi Maria!!)

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

amy7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 08 2005 at 9:54pm | IP Logged  

I also just came from Rabbit Trails . . . and with me and computers, this process has been rather like falling down the White Rabbit's hole!

My name is Amy and I have four children ages 6.5, 4.5, 3, and a 3 month old. We began doing strictly Montessori when my oldest was 2, and created many materials, etc. However, I became pretty overwhelmed, and gratefully discovered Charlotte Mason's work. We now do a blend of CM and CHC curricula, with Well-Trained Mind and Montessori mixed in. Pretty much hodge-podge!

I love children's literature! I find it such a blessing to share this love with all of you and glean so very much from all the posts on CCM and rabbit-trails.

Back to Top View amy7's Profile Search for other posts by amy7

LMuse
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 09 2005 at 1:35am | IP Logged  

This is Lara Muse, mom of 4 girls and one angel in heaven. I ended up here by way of the rabbit trails list.

My oldest, Amanda, attended Montessori schools from the time she was 18mos until she was politely asked to leave. Turned out she has some pretty severe learning issues and some less severe developmental delays. I took her out of school environments completely near the end of her PreK year. We were living in Houston at the time and I couldn't find a suitable alternative to homeschooling. So, here we are, eight years later!

I began my homeschool journey as a non-believer using the Moore Formula/Academy. We were actually enrolled with them for 4-5 years. Amanda and I relocated to the Midwest (KC, MO area) in Jan of 1998 and I met my dh the following year. By that time I had converted to Catholicism and started seeing many things in the Moore Foundation that I wasn't comfortable with. Such began my search for an alternative curriculum.

We landed with Sonlight and were completely happy with it for a couple of years. Somewhere in the mix I finally heard of CM methods. Unit type studies had always intrigued me but seemed too labor intensive.

Dh and I added three girls to the mix and I have used BFIAR with my middle two, 4 and 2.75 yo, for about a year. We did Elizabeth's Tomie de Paola Advent study this past Advent season, taking a total break from all things Sonlight. We still love Sonlight but, as a good friend has told me, we just think it is too much too fast. I'd like to slow down and savor things more, even if it does mean more work and prep for me.

My 4yo (Dec. birthday) started reading about 6 months ago, much to my surprise. My 2.75yo uses words like "manipulate", "regular", and "concentration" in sentences on a regular basis. I overheard her telling the 4yo the other day "Quit monopolizing the TV!" Something tells me they're not going to have the learning problems my oldest has.

My baby has medical issues and I am a chronic pain patient recovering from recent surgery. Between the two of us, and my oldest, my biggest prayer this year is for us to have more "school days" than doctor's appointments    I feel like we haven't been doing "real" school since Thanksgiving and am ready to jump back in. I'm giving serious thought to using the books suggested on MacBeth's Opinion pages for a nice and gentle Lenten journey. Then work our way back into Sonlight for awhile.

I own the CM Companion book and think it will be on my personal list of required reading for Lent as well. Maybe then I can begin incorporating many of these ideas into our homeschool. I love Elizabeth's tea time suggestions. <sigh> I guess my biggest problem is that there is sooooo much I like that I can't cull out enough to make it all workable.

enough for now,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged  

Hi All,

I'm Angie McIntyre and I currently live in humble Apache Junction, AZ. My avatar is a picture of the Superstition Mountains, complete with saguaro cactus in front, which I have a nice view of from my backyard. Supposedly, these mountains are the second (next to the Grand Canyon) most photographed/post carded natural beauty in Arizona. We've been here one year, having lived in NE-PA, NV, CA, and OH, so my new enthusiasm for all things dessert is still fresh!

We've always educated at home and find our educational philosophy and practices evolve over time...which is half of the fun for me! We lean toward a natural learning style, relying heavily on living books, nature study, music/art study, unit study, and integrating our faith into our domestic church. We have accepted that we can't do everything at once or even do everything everyday. We tend to have an underlying focus on one of the three pieces of Charlotte Mason's motto, "Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life." For example, today we will focus heavily on our home atmosphere as we begin Lent.

I love to read mainly non-fiction (I know, I know,) to help mothers to breastfeed, to cook (I'm with Elizabeth...I read cookbooks!) and to learn new skills (currently I'm learning how to find my way around a message board .) I also study martial arts (currently American Kenpo) when I'm not large with child

Thanks for being here!

Love,     

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2005 at 3:17pm | IP Logged  

Lara,
How neat to see you here! Lara co-moderates the Special Needs homeschooling group that has been a lifeline to me in the past few years. I've learned so much about teaching my special needs, medically fragile 5.5 year old on there.

That's a great testimony to your homeschooling, that your 4yo started reading right in the midst of your little one's and your health problems.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

catholicmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 09 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
I am Cathy and my husband and I live in Missouri with our 3 children, daughter 11, sons 6 and 4. I am pregnant and due in July. We lost our second daughter to a fatal birth defect shortly after she was born 8 years ago, so we have a saint in Heaven as well.

I have been on the CCM list for about 4 years although I have only read the messages and have not posted. I heard about these message boards from the Rabbit Trails email list.

My husband and I are cradle Catholics; we have homeschooled now for 7 years and it fits so well with our lifestyle! We are very active in our parish teaching CCD and RCIA.

I am anxious to learn from these informative message boards; I have already learned so much from the email lists! Thank You!

In Christ's Love,
Cathy
Back to Top View catholicmom's Profile Search for other posts by catholicmom

LMuse
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 09 2005 at 10:45pm | IP Logged  

<waving>

Willa, it's great to "see" you here too! The HSSN list is my mini-ministry; something I can do to reach out from right here at home. I really enjoy the work.

When it comes to my 4yo, I'm not so sure her reading has/had much to do with me or not    . Pushing all prideful thoughts aside I have to admit it might be more of Tad's (LeapFrod products) doing than my own . Dora the Explorer, Franklin, and Little Bear became frequent family visitors as well last year, LOL.

Thanks for the welcome! I am anxious to see how this board will compare, usage wise, with the other method. I'm pretty sure it will help me to streamline my computer usage; always a good thing.

Peace of Christ,
Back to Top View LMuse's Profile Search for other posts by LMuse

Kimberly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 11 2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged  

Hi!

I'm Kimberly Kocmoud (kutzmode)! We live in Texas. My husband, Christopher, and I have been married for 13 years and have been blessed with 8 children. We have 7 boys - Nathan (almost 12), Matthew (almost 12), Jonathan (almost 10), Stephen (almost 9), Andrew (7), Josiah (5), and Caleb (7 months). And we have one "spoiled" little girl - Mary Joy (almost 4). Soon after Christopher and I got married, we felt called to have a large family and homeschool. We absolutely love it!!

Having a B.S. and M.S. in education, I've been very particular about our homeschool and have been turned off by "canned" curriculums. A friend introduced me to CM several years ago and it has been an answer to prayer! Instilling that love of learning, creating an environment of learning, using living books, and allowing time for discovery learning had been philosophies I had always embraced. CM helped me to expand my own theories and have direction for our school!

I'm really excited about this forum - I often need encouragement and new ideas! It's beautiful and uplifting to see sooooo many families striving for the same thing - an atmosphere of love where faith and learning can blossom!

I love learning with my husband and children, growing in our Catholic faith, cooking healthy meals, reading, writing, singing harmony, and enjoying nature! God is so good to bless us with a forum such as this!!

- Kimberly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2005 at 9:38pm | IP Logged  

My name is Alice Gunther, and I have been happily married for almost 12 years. We have six dear children ages 11 years to ten months and have been homeschooling from the very beginning. Our family's interests include nature study, celebrating the liturgical year, scrapbooking, planning literary teas, reading great books, discovering history, drawing, story telling, and just about everything else!

It is a privilege to be part of this wonderful group.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2005 at 12:15am | IP Logged  

alicegunther wrote:
We have six dear children and have been homeschooling from the very beginning. Our family's interests include nature study, celebrating the liturgical year, scrapbooking, planning literary teas, reading great books, discovering history, drawing, story telling, and just about everything else!

It is a privilege to be part of this wonderful group.

Can I just say what Alice said???? Otherwise....it may be awhile before I post an intro!

My name is Chari Bryan.......six kids...anne 16, matthew 14, sarah 12 next week, maddelyn 9, and maybe has a broken thumb , garrett 8 next month, and malachy, 3yrs.

my info is almost the same as alice's....except we do not scrapbook, yet.

our hsing is eclectic........we love to car travel......as some of you know very well......as we have stayed with you!

we are behind in several academic areas........but we are very good with composers, artists, and teatime baking

that's it, I guess

in the sweet heart of Mary,

Schoolrmacres
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged  

Hello. My name is Darlene and I am wife to Shawn as well as mamma to Haleigh Elizabeth,our Gift from God throught adoption.We are living in Seguin, Texas after lving in the Dallas area for 11 yrs. We have 5 dogs and 5 cats and we are just starting to get our "homestead" going.
Haleigh is turning 6 and is in the first grade. I have been homeschooling for awhile,4 yrs, and would not trade it for anything.We started out with Before FIAR and now are doing FIAR.We did a lot of jumping around this year before coming back to FIAR.
I look forward to "meeting" all of you and learning from you as well.

http://achampionfamily.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View Schoolrmacres's Profile Search for other posts by Schoolrmacres Visit Schoolrmacres's Homepage

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2005 at 3:02pm | IP Logged  

Hi!

I am Wendy McClure. I've been married to Chris for 15 years, and we have three children: Grace (almost 11), Sam (7), and Ben (5). We've been homeschooling for five years. Our family's favorite things include books, music, movies, books, walking in the woods, wushu (Chinese martial arts), and books. We live in the Northern Shenandoah Valley, 10 miles from West Virginia. I'm a longtime member (mostly lurking) of CCM and think the new format looks wonderful. Thank you to all of you who have put this together!

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

Maureen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Maureen, originally from Louisiana and currently living in Virginia. I'm just coming out of rough year--health issues and a new baby. I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Lent is such a good time for that!

This school year holds new challenges for me. My oldest in 9th grade, and I'm trying to teach my 7 ds to read-a first for me. I love homeschooling, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it all work. If only I had a little fairy to do laundry and prepare meals...

I'm looking forward to a life full of learning, and getting to know you ladies. May God bless you, abundantly.

Faith
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 10:09am | IP Logged  

Hi, I am not sure if I am doing this right! I clicked new post to do this intro or should I have clicked reply? This board has lots of options. I'll have to get used to it!

My name is Faith, I have been married to Rick for 16 years. We have five children, Hannah, 14 yo, William, 12, Joshua, 9 (almost 10), Sean, 6 and Becky, 3. We live in Vienna in Northern Va. We've been homeschooling for 8 years. This year the 9 and 6 yo's are at a private Catholic school, a decision which is having good and bad ramifications. I can't wait to bring them home next year. My dh just consented a couple of months ago to letting our 8th grader be homeschooled for high school next year. I am excited and terrified! Our homeschooling has been derailed the last several months because we are doing so much work on our house. And right now we are in our third day of a nasty flu bug.

I recognize lots of you from CCM and other groups! This board seems like it will be a wonderful place!

Blessings,

Faith
Back to Top View Faith's Profile Search for other posts by Faith

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 10:12am | IP Logged  

Hi:
I am Mary Ellen and this is my first year homeschooling. I have five children ranging in ages from 9 to 1. Everyone has spring birthdays so the ages are shifting in the next few weeks. My oldest is autistic but all the others are typical learners.

I have been married for 12 years to a wonderful man. Dave is a controller for an investment bank and works in Manhattan. We get there quite a bit for the museums and things.

We live in Long Island in a village called Lindenhurst. There are a few Catholic homeschooling families here and we all socialize together and encourage each other.

I enjoy sewing, knitting and reading and I just love homeschooling.

Everyone who was involved in creating this message board did an awesome job! It looks terrific.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 12:36pm | IP Logged  

Hello! What a wonderful group! I am so happy to have this resource to be able to glean some wonderful ways of raising and homeschooling my son!

My name is Jennifer. I've been married 5 years to Dave and we have one son (so far), Gregory, 17 months. I came across CCM through reading Elizabeth's columns in our diocesan paper. I just loved her columns...somehow there was a connection that I found out the CCM, and it was an answer to prayer! Before my husband and I married, we had talked about homeschooling...he wasn't sure. At the time, I said it was a must. Then I started to weaken, dreading the idea of a packaged curriculum, either too Catholic or just plain too much. All I knew about Charlotte Mason was that she wasn't Catholic....I would pass those tables at the conferences because I thought it was all Protestant. I was just thrilled to read Real Learning and saw that it was a perfect fit for me. So I'm taking this time to get prepared for our homeschooling experience. I am continually amazed and inspired at the energy, creativity, love and elbow grease by the parents here.

I'm hoping to read more on Montessori, Classic Approach, John Bosco and Charlotte Mason, trying to integrate them together. I know none of this will all "click" until I actually begin with my son.

Although I'm not homeschooling my son formally right now, I am familiar with the process. I was homeschooled for 3 years in high school, then helped my mother school my siblings (6). I also worked for a few years with a Catholic homestudy, so I was elbow deep in curriculum preparation.

The computer plays a large role in my life -- the biggest being that I met my husband through an online dating service! It's so out of character for both of us, but it was God's plan for us! He found my profile attractive, reading that I was a graduate from Franciscan University of Steubenville and went to Mass daily and prayed the rosary daily. So, after emailing, we found out we had mutual friends, (he lived in Pittsburgh at the time), he came down to meet me, and the rest is history! I've worked with a company for 17 years, learning basics of DOS, then Windows, then watching the Internet grow from just text to pictures.

I have a lot of personal interests...right now they mainly are how to raise a toddler and keep my sanity. But when I do have down time I love to read and buy books, celebrating the Liturgical Year, knit, crochet, calligraphy, garden, sew, scrapbook, photograph, write, and cook and bake. I love trying out new recipes, right now is trying tasty foods with a restricted allergy diet for my son -- no dairy, wheat or eggs.

But my favorite subject is reading the development of liturgy, studying the roots of the liturgy, and finding ways to incorporate the liturgy in the Domestic Church. I was instrumental in putting together the Liturgical Year section at www.catholicculture.org. I have a few articles online at that site, and write for a few other places. Eventually I'll put my book and website together, when God shows me the time is right.

Thanks for this forum, and for the wonderful fellowship. Looking forward to much more!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

tgriff3
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 5:04pm | IP Logged  

Hmmmm... I've been on the Catholic CMason list for some time but I much prefer a message board setting so this is exciting! I am Tina, "cradle" Catholic, married to a non-Catholic, mother of 5 (so far) and homeschooling since 2000. I am interested in so many things, probably to a fault because I can't ever seem to focus on one thing for very long. Right now I am very into exercising and losing some weight. I love to read, bake, sew, scrapbook, surf the web, nurse my baby and take care of my family. I also like being outside gardening and taking care of the yard. We live just outside Richmond, VA. We love the beach, taking car trips and visiting family. My children love to be read to (except the almost 17 yo that is) and they love to be outside.

That's all I can think of to write at the moment. Looking forward to popping in now and then!

3 girls (14, 9 and 3)
Back to Top View tgriff3's Profile Search for other posts by tgriff3

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 5:27pm | IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm Kelly Lang, in North Carolina. My husband and I have two sons, ages 7 and 3. I've wanted to homeschool since before the eldest was conceived. DH finally consented when our oldest son was 4.

My interests are health and nutrition, biology, reading, and always trying to learn more about our Faith, and about what you ladies are doing in your homeschools. I've learned so much from the CM email list. I'm mostly a lurker as I feel I don't have much to share yet.

Our church is huge (almost 10,000 members) and has it's own homeschool group with about 25 families. Yesterday we had a poetry workshop. It was tough for the kids to create poetry under time limits, but most of them did.

Kelly aka Jamberry77
Back to Top View Jamberry77's Profile Search for other posts by Jamberry77

Sara Dina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 9:04pm | IP Logged  

Hello,

I've never posted on a message board before, so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this correctly... My name is Sara, and my DH John and I have 4 wonderful daughters. Our girls range in age from 8 to 11. We live in Northern Virginia; although my husband's heart is in NY, where he spent the first 41 years of his life.

I love to read, listen to Irish music, ride horses, and go on adventures with my children. My favorite author is G.K. Chesterton; anything I want to say, he has already said and much more elegantly than I ever could!

If this actually makes it to the right place, thanks for reading!

JMJ,

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version