Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Let's talk Sandwiches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hello ladies, I'm back and of course I'm jumping into this very fun topic!!

You don't have to have a panini grill. I use my cast iron grill/griddle combo, on the grill side, and the bottom of a small cast iron skillet, then turn the sandwich over once (or not).    If I want it pressed down more I put my very heavy marble mortar (of "mortar and pestle") into the cast iron skillet.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

stefoodie wrote:

You don't have to have a panini grill. I use my cast iron grill/griddle combo, on the grill side, and the bottom of a small cast iron skillet, then turn the sandwich over once (or not).    If I want it pressed down more I put my very heavy marble mortar (of "mortar and pestle") into the cast iron skillet.

Woohoo!!!! SO glad to see you back!

ETA: What an appropriate first post!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
stefoodie wrote:

Woohoo!!!! SO glad to see you back!

Me too!!!!!!! I've missed you, Stef!!!

Agreeing with Lindsay!! How appropriate that your first post would be on a thread discussing the gazillion different FAVORITE sandwiches!

Welcome back my favorite foodie!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Stef, it's so funny because while bumping this topic, I talked over my shoulder to Devin and said something like, "Where is stef when I need her?" ...and here you ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to eat something yummy in celebration .

Oh...I can't use cast iron on my flat top stove, sigh. But that does not take away from my happiness at this moment .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Martha wrote:
What? No one is eating my kids brand new favorite?

Nutella and bacon

It is the only thing that every single one of my kids will eat.

Go figure.

Martha, that's so funny! We love our Nutella and our bacon but haven't married them...yet.

Have you heard of the bacon donut? The doughnut is covered with maple frosting then the frosting is dipped in bacon crumbles. Your kids may love me for this recommendation .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mamasue wrote:
My press is actually a waffle maker that has different plates you can take out. It was relatively inexpensive too.
It has flat plates, grill plates and waffle plates.
Definitely one of my favorite appliances!

Ooooooooooooooooooo. My waffle maker died a while back so this may be perfect to place under the Christmas tree this year .

Love,

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Angie Mc wrote:

Martha, that's so funny! We love our Nutella and our bacon but haven't married them...yet.

Have you heard of the bacon donut? The doughnut is covered with maple frosting then the frosting is dipped in bacon crumbles. Your kids may love me for this recommendation .

Love,

oh awesome? Like a pancake with maple syrup and bacon on the side? All in one dandy handy no dishes or sticky table afterwards form? That is just smart thinking!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm friends with one of our favorite local cafes on Facebook, and on Wednesday they posted their specialty sandwich of the day:

Quote:
Check out the Florschuetz Grilled Cheese: Lancaster Smoked Cheddar, Organic Sauerkraut, bell pepper, onion, tomato, and spicy mustard on tuscan bread!

I thought, yum! And I think I have those things.

Well, I substituted XXSharp Amish cheddar for the smoked, leftover sauerkraut frozen from our Oktoberfest in July party, Dijon for the spicy mustard, and TJ's Whole Wheat Tuscan pane for the bread. We had cherry tomatoes, onion, and pepper from our CSA pick up yesterday.

I grilled it in butter the cast iron pan with my bacon press to make it all nice and flat, like a panini without the grill marks.

It was WONDERFUL! Everyone loved it!

Its the first food I've really savored in the past two months (so i might be biased) Highly recommend it--perfect for a Friday!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I knew I shouldn't have read this topic while being 9 months pregnant! I just called dh to pick up a classic double decker deli sandwhich (bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, turkey, ham, mayo) on his way home since now I have a huge craving for it.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have one of the small George Foreman grills (that I got for a $1 at a tag sale ) that I use for grilled sandwiches, but I admit I haven't been as adventurous as most of you! Mostly grilled cheese, and sometimes throw in tomato slices for variety!

For non-grilled sandwiches, what I mostly eat is sliced turkey, lettuce, tomato and mayo (I'm going to try making my own mayo this weekend from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, using my fresh organic, pastured eggs) I also love tuna fish salad but only one child likes it.

Ds will eat pbj quite a bit but dd hates pb. She will eat ham or turkey sometimes, or make mini-pizzas on bagels with cheese and pepperoni.

One I used to eat a lot as a kid was pb and mashed ripe banana, and less often, mayo with sliced, not so ripe banana (not green, just not mushy).

One I like for breakfast - fried egg on an English muffin half or crusty slice of bread, spread with Laughing Cow garlic cheese, topped with sliced red onion and a slice of avocado.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version