Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: AP courses and testing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I don't know where to post a new topic, but this seemed *sort of* close...have any of you all out there done AP courses with your teens, and taken the test for college credit? Our Latin tutor is encouraging us to go this route with an AP class on the Aeneid. Apparently, there are many AP courses available that you can homeschool for credit. Anybody with experience out there?

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 28 2005 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's your new thread, Kelly !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

My daughter took the ISLAS AP Latin course (on the Aenid) and was more than prepared for the AP Exam. She was able to jump straight into a junior level Latin course at University of Dallas.

The course is a lot of work, though, and the student needs to be motivated - not only throughout the course, but also when it comes time to cram for the exam! My second oldest is considering the course for next year.

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks for the info, Anne Marie. I'm especially interested to hear from you about the ISLAS. I checked that out yesterday (not in conjunction with AP classes, just an "in general" kind of perusal) and was very impressed. Your message actually answers two questions!
I'll look into the AP further. I notice ISLAS teaches the AP as part of Latin III, is that right? My daughter just started Henle Latin II, but our tutor feels that she needs the stimulation of something a little meatier...so we were pondering the possibility of slowly, independently, working on the Aeneid (and using the AP study guide) in conjunction with Henle II (for credit). Once Latin II is out of the way, maybe push forward with the Aeneid a bit faster, and with an eye to taking the AP test. Still, it's good to know the islas program is so thorough!

Thanks again. Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

Actually, AP is fourth year Latin - after Latin III. If you're interested in putting your daughter into ISLAS Latin, I would suggest e-mailing Linda Robinson about it. That's what we did with my daughter - she took a placement test and went into Latin III. If your daughter has thoroughly learned 1st year Henle, she may be able to do the same thing - but talk to Linda Robinson. It's amazing to me how the kids build a sense of community in the class (complete with "talking in class" when they're not supposed to!).

Also, another plug for ISLAS - AP Latin is difficult, but Dr. McMenomy is an excellent teacher. I'm not sure my daughter would have done as well trying the Aeneid on her own.

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Yikes, we would never have the guts to tackle the Aeneid on our own!    Chicken Little, here! We'd be working with our tutor (an extremely motivated college student, who was charging a mere $6/hour...) Still, I like the idea of the online classroom "community" you mentioned. Is the islas class with Dr. McMenomy Catholic (thru Regina C.?) or just generally Christian in orientation?

Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

He's not Catholic, but he is Christian, and we've never had any problem with any anti-Catholic bias in any of the ISLAS courses that aren't in Regina Coeli (AP Latin is in SOLA - Scholars Online Academy).

What we've found is that the underlying foundation is Christian, but there's no hit-the-student-over-the-head with it (as you can find with some "Christian" classes and textbooks . . . I have a co-op class in mind that we took several years back!)

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks, Anne Marie. Just what I wanted to know. Now, I suppose the Henle classes are with Regina Coeli? I should know this, yes, but it was REALLLY late last night when I was surfing the site!

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

PS Anne Marie, btw, are you all in Texas?

Kelly in North Florida ( where the farther south ya' go, the farther north ya' git!)

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

I think the Henle I, II, and III courses are with Regina Coeli. The Latin I, II and III courses use Wheelock and are with SOLA (I think).

Oh, and we're in New Mexico

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Anne Marie, is there any reason one can't do Henle I - III with Regina Coeli and then move on to the AP Aeneid course with SOLA?

Thanks, Kelly

PS We love your state. We go out there every third year or so. Next year we're planning an extended stay in Santa Fe (wierd, but fun place) while oldest son does Boy Scout wilderness camp at Philmont, others do Suzuki music camp and intensive polo camp in SF, and Mom reclines by the pool at the hotel... If we can coordinate it all, that is. Maybe we'll just do the "reclines by the pool" part!

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2005 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

AP Latin can follow either Henle III or (SOLA's) Latin III.

We'll have to get together when you come to Santa Fe!

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Anne Marie,
   Are you in Santa Fe? I hope I didn't offend with my comment about it being wierd but fun. It is funky, though, isn't it? For all its funkiness, I really do enjoy the town. My all time favorite book is "Death Comes for the Archbishop" about Bishop Lamy and his life in Santa Fe. To me, that book just embodies so much of the beauty and history of your state.

Come on over to the pool, I'll save you a chair!

Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly, I'll meet you by the pool! Not to worry, we think Santa Fe is a bit weird, too. After all, our state government is there (don't even get me started about that)! It is a fun place - some good museums, beautiful cathedral, and lots of fun stores! The children's museum is really good, too. We live about an hour from Santa Fe. Tell you what, we'll swim at the pool and then my kids can introduce your kids to our chickens, rabbits, and ducks!

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Oh yes! My favorite store there is "Doodlets". Funky and wierd, but fun. As for your invite to meet chickens, rabbits and ducks, I should warn you that we have a very big warm and fuzzy thing about chickens! Remind me to tell you sometime about my sil and her faux marble chicken coup...

Looking forward to pets and pools!

Kelly in FL

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version